Hurricane Irma

Lifeguard

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Said by 70 year old Rose DeMerle, who played an extra on Miami Vice. From an article. 

"Show producers were always eager to emphasize the warmer climate, she remembered, recalling a cool day in the middle of winter when she shivered through a take while wearing what most of America would think of as authentic Miami attire."

I only recall powerful rain in "The Dutch Oven" and "A Bullet for Crockett" with both Trudy and Tubbs looking through the window, while it's raining. 

"Bought and Paid For" also had a dramatic night rain scene, with thunder (although not, apparently, wind!)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

"Bought and Paid For" also had a dramatic night rain scene, with thunder (although not, apparently, wind!)

And a heavy rainstorm in Milk Run after the shootout scene in the hotel where we see Moya in his car.

Edit...oops I see this was already covered earlier.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I'm following the weather in Ft Myers Beach where I have vacationed often, and the prognosis is not good. They may be looking at 15 ft storm surge and 100+ mph winds, which means that flooding will engulf many houses and one story structures.  Further up the coast  even Tampa is forecasting significant surges. With the shallow depth of the Gulf of Mexico and low land levels (to sea level)  the storm surge can easily flood significant distances inland.

I do hope you guys on the West Coast are in safe locations to deal with this surge and are in higher ground or in upper floors of some buildings.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• Administrators

I have a question. This has been one of my pet peeves when it comes to reporting the weather. Is it absolutely necessary for the person reporting to have to actually stand in the storm?! Do they think we won't believe them if we can't see it?  I just watched a video of some idiot standing in 190 MPH winds trying to measure the wind speed. Uh hello, they have sophisticated equipment to measure that!  He was literally knocked off his feet (which in my opinion he fully deserved)  I believe they said he suffered injuries but did not go into detail.   The governor of Florida has told everyone to evacuate. So why are these people even there?

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I have a question. This has been one of my pet peeves when it comes to reporting the weather. Is it absolutely necessary for the person reporting to have to actually stand in the storm?! Do they think we won't believe them if we can't see it?  I just watched a video of some idiot standing in 190 MPH winds trying to measure the wind speed. Uh hello, they have sophisticated equipment to measure that!  He was literally knocked off his feet (which in my opinion he fully deserved)  I believe they said he suffered injuries but did not go into detail.   The governor of Florida has told everyone to evacuate. So why are these people even there?

I had the same reaction when watching  the Weather Channel showing scenes in Miami. The winds were maybe 60 or 70 mph and a reporter was standing in the street for what seemed like an eternity getting pelted by wind and rain,. and another was standing on a pier in Miami dangerously close to the water's edge with high winds and white caps blowing hard. Just seemed a bit dramatic, not to mention dangerous.  and is likely just to sell the programming to viewers.... at least until one of them gets hurt. I like that they have coverage in these storm centers so we can see real time the hurricane effects and damages (and I bet the residents want this also), but the dramatics sometimes are a little much.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I'm following the weather in Ft Myers Beach where I have vacationed often, and the prognosis is not good. They may be looking at 15 ft storm surge and 100+ mph winds, which means that flooding will engulf many houses and one story structures.  Further up the coast  even Tampa is forecasting significant surges. With the shallow depth of the Gulf of Mexico and low land levels (to sea level)  the storm surge can easily flood significant distances inland.

I do hope you guys on the West Coast are in safe locations to deal with this surge and are in higher ground or in upper floors of some buildings.

Some interesting webcams of this area ...one of the causeway from Ft Myers Beach to Sanibel island and the other from a location on Sanibel.

Already large waves are hitting the causeway and the eye of the storm is still some distance away.

http://www.mysanibel.us/traffic/?utm_source=SanCapChamber&utm_campaign=SanCapChamber&utm_medium=referral

https://www.islandinnsanibel.com/sanibel-island-beach-cam/?utm_source=SanCapChamber&utm_campaign=SanCapChamber&utm_medium=referral

• Thanks 1

If the hurricane could blow over the hideous new condos in Brickell then that would definitely be a good thing (As long as there were no fatalities though).

I seriously hope Miami doesn't become another New Orleans though.

There's a lot of idiots saying these hurricanes are punishment for Trump voters. 

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Haha 1

My thoughts and prayers are with friends and family (and everyone) in the path of this monster. I have relatives in Ft. Myers who are riding it out. We are due for some bad winds and rain here. :(

Edited by Scot from S.C.

Let's keep fingers crossed for all Floridians! I specifically think about our location master CGlide who just moved to the West Coast of FL (I think it was the FT Myers area) and long term member Tony who lives further up north on the West Coast! 

I was hit by Andrew when I lived in Miami in 1992, thus I know how it feels to be helpless against nature.

beside human casualties I fear we will also lose many MV locations due to demolition&flooding as we did in 1992 with Andrew.

Edited by Tom

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i always wondered how the animals deal with a hurricane. birds can migrate, but what about the mammals and reptiles

There was a story in our newspaper (syndicated article from USA Today) about the zoo animals (which are not being evacuated).  According to the article, zoo personnel said that trying to evacuate the animals caused them too much stress.  Most larger animals will be confined in their night shelters, which  are sturdy structures located behind the serene and vegetative enclosures most zoo visitors see. A zoo spokesman said they're strong enough to withstand a hurricane because they're designed to contain powerful tigers and gorillas.  Smaller animals will be placed in kennels within fortified structures.  Native animals are expected to respond as they normally would during a storm, basically to "hunker in place".

Here's the story:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/09/why-florida-zoos-arent-evacuating-their-animals/649367001/

• Like 1

Thx but i'm not scared for zoo animals. with their cement made shelters they'll probably be more secure than lot of humans. i was talking of wild animals. black bears, floridian panther, alligators, raccoons. i'm wondering how they deal with all that hell

picture taken at Miami Mariott. hope someone could open to them :(

DJWjX7MW4AAdSbK.jpg

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

Wildlife, unlike zoo animals, will likely suffer the biggest hits as these links point out. Millions of fish and birds will likely be impacted and other animals may be displaced or injured.

http://blog.nwf.org/2011/08/seven-thngs-to-know-about-how-hurricanes-affect-wildlife/

http://www.captainmitchs.com/hurricanes-affect-florida-wildlife/

(yes I know..."Captain Mitch" ...lol)

http://frogsaregreen.org/how-do-hurricanes-affect-wildlife/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Near the end of Rising Sun of Death the sword fight takes place in a driving rain.

risingsun.png

...as John Petersen gives his all! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, airtommy said:

Near the end of Rising Sun of Death the sword fight takes place in a driving rain.

risingsun.png

In reality they just got the hose out and started spraying water in the air... 

To actually film in rain would be difficult because there's a lot of a equipment they absolutely cannot get wet, and extension leads and wires being ran across the whole area. 

• Like 2

I wondered, if they couldn't just create some shelter/cover to protect all of the equipment, but maybe that would make it difficult to create the right lighting from there on the actors. And does it mean, the production crew would have to cancel a shoot for the day, when it's raining and there is a tight schedule, but they probably didn't have much trouble with that in Miami. I mean, if it rained almost all day for two days straight. 

In "One Eyed Jack," besides Tubbs's jacket being wet with drops of rain, during the fight there is some water clearly visible pouring, it's wet outside and also in the restaurant. Probably all wet down. Even though it looked like it had rained, but Tubbs does say, "take in the rain" to Crockett. 

In "The Dutch Oven" scene, it's "raining" outside Trudy's apartment, but some light is seen shining through, if you look closely.

There are also often scenes in where it's windy and clouded. 

sspCZCw.jpg?1

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

i don't think commercial films wait for weather when they need a rain scene. especially MV that was produced pretty fast. i remember once that Jan Hammer said that he had only few days each time to compose the series songs

2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i don't think commercial films wait for weather when they need a rain scene. especially MV that was produced pretty fast. i remember once that Jan Hammer said that he had only few days each time to compose the series songs

Yeah, I meant what they would do, if they had to deal with actual rain on the next day of shooting. Edit  But what you said, I guess also counts for a rainy day.

Edited by summer84

And in the aftermath of the storm, residents now have power outages and flooding. In Lee County, home of Ft Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral and Bonita Springs, the county has an 86% power outage for a population of 618,000.

It seems that the storm surge in Naples was much less than the expected 10-15 feet.  it's hard to say for sure because the news networks and Weather Channel do such a bad job of informing us. 

Fox News had a guy reporting live from Miami last night.  There was some flooding but it wasn't too bad. He was on Brickell near the ocean and the river, so that means most of the city should have stayed dry.  The biggest problem was  debris flying of of skyscrapers that are under construction.