Hurricane Irma

Lifeguard

17 minutes ago, airtommy said:

It seems that the storm surge in Naples was much less than the expected 10-15 feet.  it's hard to say for sure because the news networks and Weather Channel do such a bad job of informing us. 

Fox News had a guy reporting live from Miami last night.  There was some flooding but it wasn't too bad. He was on Brickell near the ocean and the river, so that means most of the city should have stayed dry.  The biggest problem was  debris flying of of skyscrapers that are under construction.

I know, they're doing a lousy job also on the Weather Channel in providing storm damage assessments for SW FL in Lee County and further south in Naples. They had one of their reporters live in Naples this morning and there appears to be much less flooding than anticipated. On reflection in watching the Weather Channel for years on FL storm reporting they do seem to err big time in overestimating the storm effects. May be another example here but the jury is still out.

I just saw drone footage showing damaged houses in East Naples and ground footage of uprooted trees.  I hope CGlide got through unscathed!  A lot of the boats at Coconut Grove were pushed together and damaged.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hello team, just checking in for the post Irma report. 

For those that don't know I live 45 min NW of Tampa so I ended up being in the middle of this. 

I work for a major hospital in Tampa as the Manager of Facilities. I over see Engineering and Maintenance. This past week has been a doozie to say the least. I boarded up my home, standard practice as a native Floridian and then helped board up parts of the hospital. 

I spent Saturday and Sunday night there working 7p to 7a shifts while trading off with other management for them to work 7a to 7p. Why did I get the graveyard shift? Cause that's when it was predicted to hit! 

All in all, very very lucky this thing broke up before it hit us. Couldn't been catastrophic if it hit as a cat 4. 

Hospital recieved next to no damage. Lost a sign cover and a snapped tree in the back parking lot. My home received no damage but I'm without power. Charging my cell phone in the truck with my other iPad. May be without power for up to a week according to Duke Energy's web site. My brother who lives 5 minutes away and who also has a whole house generator, did not lose power!  Prick! :) He offered for me to come stay but after two nights of hell sleeping on a cot in my office I want my own bed. Thankfully it isn't sweltering hot now so the temp is comfortable. 

I hope everyone else is ok.

Tony D, my neighbor, you OK?

Thanks team, stay safe! 

Tim

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Oh one other report. I took another carnival cruise to the Bahamas again last week. Spend last Saturday there. Wondering what it looks like now? Also was in Miami on the Friday and Monday. Lots of construction and tower cranes. Heard a report one of them collapsed during the storm. Wondering how Miami faired. Guess we'll see the reports. 

I am glad to hear you are okay. I had a big pine tree fall in my backyard, thankfully missing my patio. I hope everyone else is safe. It is still super windy here with rain.

• Like 3

We survived, no damage and power just came back on at 11AM.  Keeping generator in place for 24 hrs, don't trust our Mom and Pop electric company.  Also leaving the windows boarded up for the duration of hurricane season.  This is likely to be to be a very active season.  Lots of trees down around Bradenton, shelters were jammed packed and I think half the people drove North to face bumper to bumper traffic, no gas etc.  Staying in place was the right move but had my bug out bag packed in case the house became unlivable due to serious damage.   Thanks for the well wishes.  Hope my Fla friends are OK.  The storm did a number on the Keys, Naples, and Ft. Myers and then moved due north (just like Charlie in 2004) saving us on the coast from the worst.  Do we have an invisible protective shield?  But the entire state was affected, flooding in Miami, Jacksonville etc, heard that 6 million people in the state lost power.  Still don't know how high the winds were here.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 5

• Administrators

Sounds like you made the right move Jim.  Glad that it worked out but you're right when you say the season isn't over yet!  Has anyone heard from C. Glide or Tony D.?  Who else do we have in Florida? Pleaase sign in if you can and let us know you're ok.

• Like 1

Ya heard that C Glide had just moved down to the Ft. Myers area.  Not the greatest way to be welcomed back to Fla.  I left a message on his cell phone answering system.  Pretty sure he and his family are OK but he will have some war stories to tell.  Hopefully he will return my call soon, I'm not that far away and, of course, will help in any way if he needs it.

Tony D. didn't get as much of the storm's high winds in his area.  Same goes for him also.  He may not have power yet.

mvnyc is in Miami we will probably hear from him soon.  I'm pretty sure he is OK.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Hi team,

Just got power back about an hour ago. AC set to max!

I hope all our other members are doing as well.

Please check in when you can and give us an update.

Thanks,

Tim

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, timm525 said:

For those that don't know I live 45 min NW of Tampa so I ended up being in the middle of this. 

I work for a major hospital in Tampa as the Manager of Facilities. I over see Engineering and Maintenance. This past week has been a doozie to say the least. I boarded up my home, standard practice as a native Floridian and then helped board up parts of the hospital. 

I spent Saturday and Sunday night there working 7p to 7a shifts while trading off with other management for them to work 7a to 7p. Why did I get the graveyard shift? Cause that's when it was predicted to hit! 

All in all, very very lucky this thing broke up before it hit us. Couldn't been catastrophic if it hit as a cat 4. 

Hospital recieved next to no damage. Lost a sign cover and a snapped tree in the back parking lot. My home received no damage but I'm without power. Charging my cell phone in the truck with my other iPad. May be without power for up to a week according to Duke Energy's web site. My brother who lives 5 minutes away and who also has a whole house generator, did not lose power!  Prick! :) He offered for me to come stay but after two nights of hell sleeping on a cot in my office I want my own bed. Thankfully it isn't sweltering hot now so the temp is comfortable. 

Thanks team, stay safe! 

Tim

Thanks for asking, Tim!  Yeah, we put sandbags by back door, but the water wasn't as bad as the thunderstorm a couple weeks ago. 11PM Sunday we lost our power but it returned on Mon. around 3PM. Lots of branches down & a huge tree across the road near the clubhouse but no damage. The worst was no power & watching the palm trees bending in the wind & the howling of the wind around the house.

I'm glad you are O.K. Tim.  Maybe we'll meet in Publix again! ;)

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Sounds like you made the right move Jim.  Glad that it worked out but you're right when you say the season isn't over yet!  Has anyone heard from C. Glide or Tony D.?  Who else do we have in Florida? Pleaase sign in if you can and let us know you're ok.

Hey, Ferrariman. I'm down here in Florida (Levy County to be exact) and am ok. Thankfully the county clerk managed to get some of the power back up in town pretty fast so I'm already back home and the internet appears to be working fine here. Didn't damage the inside any but left the yard a bit of a mess (thankfully I have mostly palm trees so it's just a case of mowing and picking up the palm fronds). Levy County seems to have got out of the storm okay although I haven't heard any news from Cedar Key who usually get hammered pretty hard in big storms and a good chunk of the county is running on Duke Energy who are going to be down for a while longer than others as they had lost some of their power stations. I hope to everyone else in Florida is able to check in soon.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Thanks for asking, Tim!  Yeah, we put sandbags by back door, but the water wasn't as bad as the thunderstorm a couple weeks ago. 11PM Sunday we lost our power but it returned on Mon. around 3PM. Lots of branches down & a huge tree across the road near the clubhouse but no damage. The worst was no power & watching the palm trees bending in the wind & the howling of the wind around the house.

I'm glad you are O.K. Tim.  Maybe we'll meet in Publix again! ;)

Hope you are ok Tony 

• Thanks 1

Dinner Key Marina was badly flooded in the Grove - boats damaged. There was no break between where the water ended and the street began . Reports of looting in Coconut Grove at restaurants , shops and houses by Dinner.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

On 12/09/2017 at 1:00 AM, timm525 said:

Thanks team, stay safe! 

Tim

Keep safe Tim !

1 hour ago, damrod said:

Glad that everyone weathered the storm well.  Nothing major here in Georgia.  Lots of trees down and without power for about 8 hours.

You're in Atlanta?? I'm in Rome! :shout:

9 hours ago, mvnyc said:

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in to say all is good here (finally), considering everything, I think we dodged a major bullet this time around. 

Pleased you are ok mvnyc :hippie:

On 9/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, summer84 said:

In "One Eyed Jack," besides Tubbs's jacket being wet with drops of rain, during the fight there is some water clearly visible pouring, it's wet outside and also in the restaurant. Probably all wet down. Even though it looked like it had rained, but Tubbs does say, "take in the rain" to Crockett.

I never noticed all of that!  I re-watched the scene and it sure looks like they had to film around a shower.  I wouldn't be surprised if the script said "take in the sun" but PMT ad-libbed "take in the rain". 

• Like 1

Lost pine trees.  This giant fell close to the back of my boarded up house.  Two others not in this pic are leaning way over at a radical angle, they have to be cut up also.  I've already started cutting off limbs.  Somehow the wind chimes survived.  How did my Fla friends do?

21767224_1717211504956705_1068039049_o.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 5