Happy Anniversary To "Miami Vice"

mvnyc

Sept. 16! The greatest day in television history.

I don't think I watched it the first night it aired. Probably out with my high school chums. But I most definitely watched the episodes soon thereafter.  Pretty sure I watched "Heart of Darkness" when it first aired.

Does anyone on this forum remember watching it on its premiere night?

Man it's been 3 years already since the 30th anniversary? What the hell!!

It puts into perspective how fast these shows were produced, So 30 years ago was the premiere of Season 4? wow I hope that the ride DJ and PMT were on seemed longer to them than the last 3 years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CharlieGlide said:

Sept. 16! The greatest day in television history.

I don't think I watched it the first night it aired. Probably out with my high school chums. But I most definitely watched the episodes soon thereafter.  Pretty sure I watched "Heart of Darkness" when it first aired.

@Ferrariman ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieGlide said:

For sure, it was a Sunday Night,  2-hour premiere.  I still have my VHS copy,  (which I have to treat with "kid  gloves).":)

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Seems like only last month we were just celebrating the 30th anniversary. Are you telling me season 4 is about to start already? :) 

1 hour ago, CharlieGlide said:

As a matter of fact I did watch it that night.  A night that gave me two great shows.  Watched Dallas then switched to Miami Vice. Only then I would go out with friends. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I was there front and center!  I remember the promos leading up to it using Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight"   The show got me instantly hooked and a few episodes later when they killed Rodriguez I thought "wow,  this is some serious s**t!  They never kill off major characters,  this is one to watch!"

After that I never left the house on Friday nights except 1 time.  Longtime members will remember this story.  My wife, at the time had planned a surprise 30th birthday party for me at a favorite restaurant.  I refused to go out until she finally had to spoil the surprise to get me out of the house!  

The episode that night was 'Give A Little, Take A Little"   (December 7th, 1984)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You bet I was there.

For the first (and the last) time in my life everything was in sync with me: fashion, music, visual, colors, movies, even the smell in the air... And a TV Show summed all that up.

Those were the 80s, folks. What else can I say?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, 33 is my lucky number. Too cool. :)

Am 17.9.2017 um 17:14 schrieb Ferrariman:

I was there front and center!  I remember the promos leading up to it using Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight"   The show got me instantly hooked and a few episodes later when they killed Rodriguez I thought "wow,  this is some serious s**t!  They never kill off major characters,  this is one to watch!"

Though to kill him off wasn't the original plan, right? It did add a lot of tension to the show. Especially with the replacement that was coming... ;-)

On 17/09/2017 at 4:14 PM, Ferrariman said:

Those promos are the coolest thing ever. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

Though to kill him off wasn't the original plan, right? It did add a lot of tension to the show. Especially with the replacement that was coming... ;-)

I'm pretty sure that Gregory Sierra wanted out of the show which paved the way for a much better Castillo.

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I'm pretty sure that Gregory Sierra wanted out of the show which paved the way for a much better Castillo.

Castillo is The Lieutenant. Gregory Sierra will always be Julio from Sanford and Son for me. I never watched Barney Miller, though, as a bassist, I’m very familiar with the theme song. :p

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Ferrariman:

Not to get too off-topic but why did he want out? He could only handle 6 episodes? Or was it 7? As a professional actor he must have known what he gotten himself into...it seems to me that maybe the showmakers wanted him out too because Castillo was a complete different style.

1 hour ago, Den Taylor said:

Not to get too off-topic but why did he want out? He could only handle 6 episodes? Or was it 7? As a professional actor he must have known what he gotten himself into...it seems to me that maybe the showmakers wanted him out too because Castillo was a complete different style.

Years ago I believe I read that he wanted out because he couldn't stand the heat and humidity of southern Florida. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

He was only on screen for 4 episodes. Brothers Keeper, Heart of Darkness, Cool Runnin', The Hit List. 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Years ago I believe I read that he wanted out because he couldn't stand the heat and humidity of southern Florida. 

That's what I had heard.  The hot humid weather was also responsible for Don's wardrobe and lack of socks.

• 1 month later...

Awesome story about your surprise bday being interrupted by Miami Vice (almost interrupted, I should say). Your loyalty is most impressive Ferrariman!