Heads up if your buying a new copy of Vice City

Kavinsky

Just thought I'd do this as I'm in the process of doing this myself, but my old PS2 Copy of Vice has just about been scratched and ruined to death from so many years of overuse, and in trying to replace it I got one of the latter versions of the game.

which is incompatable with my saves,  as they removed Lyon Richies running with the night, changed the gun names and skins, and most importantly changed some of the mission text to remove the context to the hatian gang war sub plot

bu I found that their is one, ONE difference between the versions that can be checked, the old version's numbers on the back of the CD's read as following

PDSS 049951A1 1

New its all that except its got a 3 at the end, reading PDSS 049951Al 3

and 1FP1L331 , not L332

Edited by Kavinsky

I still play the game on my PS 2 a good bit. There are some guys who are doing cool mods with the PC version...updated graphics, etc. I found a page a while back where a guy researched the different versions of Vice City. Here is the link: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/561545-grand-theft-auto-vice-city/faqs/28209

I am planning on picking up some back up PS2 discs just in case my original goes out (original version not Haitian friendly) on eBay soon. I may get in the mod game with my PC too.

• Administrators

My original PS2 copy is scratched also. Those Vice City discs were so sensitive. One little scratch and Flash FM stops working so whenever you hop into a car and it loads that station it freezes the whole game. 

I downloaded a backup and I've been playing that one on my PS2. But I also bought it on PS4, looks really good in HD, they seem to have updated the draw distance also, but it doesn't feel the same as the original. That low resolution analogue blur gives it more atmosphere.

yeah its funny I found someone selling the PC copy of the game i had, and still have, and I just remember getting it and modding it and the atmosphere didnt match either, just its one of those things where its best played on an old tube tv

plus its nice not to have rockstar beating me to death with commentary and nary do well jokes, and its nice not to have a testarossa that you have to pay a million bucks for, and its nice to have the saber turbo back as it was ment to be lol its nice period lol

although I do always get angry at fernado talking over the end of crocketts theme though, like that, the non movable driving camera, as I always hold to a low right angle so I can see the edge of the car, its how I learned how to drive the TR from SF to LA on the highway of SA without damage, which comes in super handy with the broken driving AI of GTA 5)  and how hard it is to get to the airport are the only things that ever buggged me about the game

hell I still remember the previews and the magazine articles they had with the original countach in it, and how disapointed I was that it was gone till I played the game, and THEN I found the Saber Turbo for the first time, as ths Saber Turbo, plus a 3 star wanted level plus Sea Shells Sanctuary on the radio at the airport, well needs no explanation really lol

worst part is they tried to copy this with gta 5's the rain, as Kenny says and yet another good driving song from the Cult and failed at it, like no Kenny, NO, that's a goth song, like type o negative style goth at that, not a driving song, like just bring back the old music already lol

Edited by Kavinsky

It sucks how they removed even more songs from the PS3/PS4 versions. The first track you originally heard when getting into a car/moped was MJ's Billie Jean, now it's gone. Wannna be starting something is gone. Ozzy Osbournes' Bark at the moon..etc

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just an update, I found a CD with those serial numbers on it and it worked! but one thing of note, you have to delete all of the saves with the newer cd's for it to load or it'll just jam up

• Administrators
On 28/09/2017 at 2:35 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

It sucks how they removed even more songs from the PS3/PS4 versions. The first track you originally heard when getting into a car/moped was MJ's Billie Jean, now it's gone. Wannna be starting something is gone. Ozzy Osbournes' Bark at the moon..etc

Perhaps the licensing ran out and either costed too much or the labels refused to renew. It's a real shame. Takes a lot away from the atmosphere, though I can live without MJ. I strongly dislike MJ music. :p 

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is about a year old but I just across it today and wanted to post heads up. I bought a brand new copy of the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy for PS2 last year off Walmart.com and found that they must have been newer printing done fairly recently as the songs that are missing from the PS3/PS4 versions are also missing on the set I have.

List of songs missing from the newer version of the trilogy:

• Rockit - Herbie Hancock
  • Looking for the Perfect Beat - Afrika Bambaataa
  • The Smurf - Tyrone Brunson
  • Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
  • Four Little Diamonds - Electric Lights Orchestra
  • Running With the Night - Lionel Ritchie
  • Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
  • Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne
  • Anunga Nunga - Irakere (Song has always has been misidentified as Aguanile on both the Vice City CDs and the manual for the previous versions of the game)
  • Wow - Kate Bush

Also given Four Little Diamonds according to GTA Wiki is still in the PS3/PS4 version then it also means that the set I have must have been printed in the last couple years as the rights for music started to lapse in 2012, PS3 version was released in 2013 and PS4 in 2015. Heads up for people looking for the set that not all of them are going to the same as while the initial releases were "Haitian friendly" some included all the music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

Wow that's actually surprising! The last PS2 game came out at the end of 2013, so it's possible that the trilogy are new printings too.

That's disappointing. :( 

Glad I still have my original from 2002, although it's scratched and Flash FM freezes the whole game. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean about those discs. The GTA games are far more sensitive to scratches than other games due to the large amount of content on the discs and the radio stations particularly trigger freeze ups when the disc is scratched. I went through quite a few when I was much younger but thankfully I had bought my first copy of the game at a used game store that had a lifetime warranty and by the time they went out of business the game was already selling for around six dollars used at GameStop. I luckily still have an original release I bought three years ago that still works (although it does sometimes get glitchy around the time I start the Cuban/Haitian missions). I bought the set as I couldn't find my older PS2 copy of San Andreas and my local used store rarely gets the game in. Been using the 360 version of that one which also has missing music but at least has some good updates like checkpoint, auto-save and lessened difficulty on the Zero missions (sadly also has some nasty glitches as well).

If there's one upside to the new release though. I do admit I like starting the game with Laura Branigan's Self Control. Though Looking for the Perfect Beat is the biggest shame. Whenever I end up playing the game that song is always the first song that plays on Wildstyle and I usually end up turning onto Wildstyle when I do the mission Demolition Man so seeing the construction site blow up without that song in the background isn't quite the same experience.

• 5 years later...
On 8/4/2018 at 3:02 PM, agent 47 said:

I know this thread is about a year old but I just across it today and wanted to post heads up. I bought a brand new copy of the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy for PS2 last year off Walmart.com and found that they must have been newer printing done fairly recently as the songs that are missing from the PS3/PS4 versions are also missing on the set I have.

List of songs missing from the newer version of the trilogy:

• Rockit - Herbie Hancock
  • Looking for the Perfect Beat - Afrika Bambaataa
  • The Smurf - Tyrone Brunson
  • Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
  • Four Little Diamonds - Electric Lights Orchestra
  • Running With the Night - Lionel Ritchie
  • Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
  • Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne
  • Anunga Nunga - Irakere (Song has always has been misidentified as Aguanile on both the Vice City CDs and the manual for the previous versions of the game)
  • Wow - Kate Bush

Also given Four Little Diamonds according to GTA Wiki is still in the PS3/PS4 version then it also means that the set I have must have been printed in the last couple years as the rights for music started to lapse in 2012, PS3 version was released in 2013 and PS4 in 2015. Heads up for people looking for the set that not all of them are going to the same as while the initial releases were "Haitian friendly" some included all the music.

It's an old topic, but I am quite interesting on the different ps2 versions of the classic gta, and I usually make videos to show their differences. Actually I am suprised about the version that you own, I'd like to know if the ps2 version that you have is the 3.00 or 4.00? Thanks!

On 1/4/2024 at 10:31 AM, Majin13 said:

It's an old topic, but I am quite interesting on the different ps2 versions of the classic gta, and I usually make videos to show their differences. Actually I am suprised about the version that you own, I'd like to know if the ps2 version that you have is the 3.00 or 4.00? Thanks!

I'm thinking Vice City is the 4.00 version. There is a 4 on the back of the disc next to the PDSS-004995A1 plus the Vice City disc has a significantly smaller file size on the disc compared to the original release.

Grand Theft Auto III - Both files sizes roughly about the same (4.32 GB)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City - Original File Size: 4.34GB,  Newer Version File Size: 3.57 GB

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Both File Sizes roughly about the same (4.19 GB)

Also I never updated my original post about this but ELO's Four Little Diamonds is still in the game despite not being listed in the manual. It's in the Definitive Edition as well so I think that was probably an oversight when they were making changes to the song list in the manual.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, agent 47 said:

I'm thinking Vice City is the 4.00 version. There is a 4 on the back of the disc next to the PDSS-004995A1 plus the Vice City disc has a significantly smaller file size on the disc compared to the original release.

Grand Theft Auto III - Both files sizes roughly about the same (4.32 GB)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City - Original File Size: 4.34GB,  Newer Version File Size: 3.57 GB

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Both File Sizes roughly about the same (4.19 GB)

Also I never updated my original post about this but ELO's Four Little Diamonds is still in the game despite not being listed in the manual. It's in the Definitive Edition as well so I think that was probably an oversight when they were making changes to the song list in the manual.

Thanks for your reply ! Actually yes you have the 4.00, you can also check in your computer in the file System.cnf to be sure. It's seems that the 4.00 is pretty new to people, online users was aware only because the v4.00 was dump on internet just recently.

The interesting thing that I wonder is if there are two differents 3.00 version of Vice city or not. By example, we know that there is The Trilogy v3.00 printed back in 2006 which is the Haitian friendly version, but if we look through Internet, we can see that people speak about two versions the first prints of the 3.00 (2006) and also the new prints of 3.00 (after 2012) with the songs removed, at the time I guess maybe people were speaking about the 4.00 and they were not aware about it ; or maybe there are two differents types of printing of the 3.00 (2006 and after 2012), and also the 4.00. But I didn't find any 3.00 version which does not contain the supposedly removed songs yet.

If we check GTA San Andreas from The Trilogy pack, there is no 4.00 version, only the 3.00 printed in 2006 too with all the songs, and after 2012 with the new printings, It's still the 3.00 (tell me if I am wrong) but these new prints have some songs removed. That's why it's a little strange and everything is confusing. I hope I've been clear in what I wanted to demonstrate. 

Edited by Majin13
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have played the 4.00 version, and I thought it will be the same version as the iOs and Android version, but in that one, they didn't remove (or rather forgot to remove?) the removed songs from the cutscenes (by example we can still hear Billie Jean in "Spilling the Beans" and Bark at the Moon in "Messing with the Man").