Sign in to follow this  
Den Taylor

Cues in "Honor among thieves?"

Den Taylor

I just watch this episode for the second time and the cues struck me as odd. I don't think that they are by Jan Hammer?
It sounds somewhat like him but neither melody- nor soundwise is it truly Jan. You can tell esepcially by the guitar sound - because there is no Rockman on it!

There are two main cues - the first one is kinda creepy and right at the beginning, then at 4:00, then 9:24 and a few more times later in the show. I guess you can call it Delgado's theme.

The other one is more upbeat and features the guitar - it plays at 25:49 and 32:34 (at the funfair).

Is it possible that these cues were entirely made by John Petersen only? Or did Jan really try such different things together with John? I'm sorry but it just doesn't sound like Jan....I mean it's not bad but it's lacking "that sound". And guitar without a Rockman? Ugh, gimme a break. (Sure, that worked for Season 5 and Tim Truman but that was a whole new different show anyway in a sense)

Edited by Den Taylor

Den Taylor

And as an aside - how stupid is that ending? I mean he lands right on Palmo? Ok, maybe not too unrealistic but that it even kills him?? How is that even possible? I mean Delgado is a lightweight....or maybe Palmo was just unconscious?

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

Dadrian

If I understand correctly, the episodes in season 4 that Jan scored are just Jan alone on those episodes, and the same for Petersen. They just put both of their names on every episode for some reason—maybe so that the credits couldn’t be just completely wrong. 

Even though they were using a couple of the same synths, you’re right, Den: it’s quite obvious which episodes are Petersen (Honor, Baseballs, Rising Sun, Rock and a Hard Place, Badge of Dishonor, to name a few—anything with real guitar leads/patterns). Also, John was a little heavier on the D50 than Jan, I think. 

All the rest have very well placed repeats by Jan himself, except for Death and the Lady, where Jan brings back that mysterious DX7 bell sound from Little Miss Dangerous, and makes one of my favorite scores of the entire series. I can’t think of another completely all-new material episode Jan did in season 4 right off hand. Anyone?

edit:

Both Hammer and Petersen are featured on Like a Hurricane, so there may be others. 

Edited by Dadrian

Den Taylor

I'm thinking that Indian Wars could be Jan's. It has a lot of the classic elements, like that dark Moog sound and the flute (although I don't think it's the one from the fairlight)....it sounds a bit like The golden Triangle. Pretty cool stuff!

I didn't even know that Jan used the D50!? I don't think it was used before Season 4 though? And that was - like you wrote Dadrian - mostly Petersen's work.

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

Matt5

I agree about “Indian Wars” a lot of it sounds like JHs work :hippie:

Edited by Matt5