Miami Vice Fun Facts

Assasinge

I'm making this topic because I want to know what fun facts you guys know about Miami Vice that...I guess normal people wouldn't know? Like little tidbits of the series that would make you go, "Wow I didn't know that!

Add em away!

Edited by Assasinge

In Stone's War Stone's wife who was really po'd with him was played by one of DJ's former girlfriends.  Don't know how many folks know that.

• Like 2

Some may or may not already know these facts, but "Hell Hath No Fury" is the only episode in the entire series that doesn't feature any songs. "Heroes of The Revolution" was made especially to display Saundra's singing talent, because Michael Mann heard her sing the National Anthem in the 1986 World Series.

Also a bit of trivia Michael Talbott must be the tallest on the show. And they all share birthday with someone of their cast members in the same month except for DJ. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

Crockett's Bren Ten has the same gunshot sound effect as Dirty Harry's 44. Magnum.

(I made that up but it sounds like it could be true in my head)

• Haha 2

• Administrators

In the episode "Theresa"  the character  Arzola is actually the sax player for Tina Turner's band.

Cool thread! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

The scene in "No Exit" where Crockett visits his neo-Nazi gun dealer acquaintance was omitted when it premiered on German TV. Possibly to fit the rigid 45-minute timeslot (the episodes were shown on public channel ARD without commercial breaks), but more likely because that kind of subject matter was deemed too controversial for German TV at the time.

• Like 1

Another sort of Germany related fun fact...

Christine von Marburg's name in By Hooker, By Crook is ficticious. The suffix "von" usually denotes a member of German nobility, or their descendants, as German nobility was officially abolished in 1919 following WWI. No records of a real-life family "von Marburg" exist though.

Coincidentally, on German television, names of nobility are usually made up as well. Possibly in order to not offend people who carry the same name.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

In the episode "Theresa"  the character  Arzola is actually the sax player for Tina Turner's band.

Cool thread! :thumbsup:

Isn't he the same guys that played the sax in the movie The Lost Boys? Same guy?

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Isn't he the same guys that played the sax in the movie The Lost Boys? Same guy?

Well Google is our friend. Just looked him up his name is Tim Cappello and he played Arzola and the sax player in the song "I Still Believe" in The Lost Boys. Knew it had to be the same guy. 

• Like 1

Giancarlo Esposito, who played Adonis in the episode The Dutch Oven, has a small role as a small-time hustler in the 1997 movie "Nothing To Lose" with Tim Robbins.

Also, the producers of Miami Vice originally envisioned Gina to be much closer to Crockett's age. But when Saundra Santiago, at age 24, got the part anyway, she decided to play Gina "mature" for her age.

Edited by Daytona74

12 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Giancarlo Esposito, who played Adonis in the episode The Dutch Oven, has a small role as a small-time hustler in the 1997 movie "Nothing To Lose" with Tim Robbins.

Also, the producers of Miami Vice originally envisioned Gina to be much closer to Crockett's age. But when Saundra Santiago, at age 24, got the part anyway, she decided to play Gina "mature" for her age.

Wasn't Saundra 27 in 1984? I guess, she did look younger for her age. She was also the first one to be cast on the show. Olivia Brown was 24 and the youngest cast member. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb summer84:

Wasn't Saundra 27 in 1984?

Right... I got that one wrong. But Saundra said something to that effect, during an appearance on Letterman circa 1986... that she was younger than what the producers originally had in mind.

Anyway, 27 is still  a good bit younger than mid-30s Crockett...

Do we ever actually find out what year Crockett was born... besides his birth date July 29?

Edited by Daytona74

2 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Right... I got that one wrong. But Saundra said something to that effect, during an appearance on Letterman circa 1986... that she was younger than what the producers originally had in mind.

Anyway, 27 is still  a good bit younger than mid-30s Crockett...

Do we ever actually find out what year Crockett was born... besides his birth date July 29?

All of the guys were in their mid-30s, DJ, PMT, EJO and John Diehl except for Talbott being 29. Think I read somewhere, that they were particularly searching for actors in that age group as there weren't many in televisions shows at the time or maybe it was crime shows.

Edited by summer84

vor 2 Stunden schrieb summer84:

All of the guys were in their mid-30s, DJ, PMT, EJO and John Diehl except for Talbott being 29. Think I read somewhere, that they were particularly searching for actors in that age group as there weren't many in televisions shows at the time or maybe it was crime shows.

True... even Tom Selleck was pushing 40 by 1984... :p

• Like 1

Am 13.10.2017 um 15:24 schrieb Daytona74:

Another sort of Germany related fun fact...

Christine von Marburg's name in By Hooker, By Crook is ficticious. The suffix "von" usually denotes a member of German nobility, or their descendants, as German nobility was officially abolished in 1919 following WWI. No records of a real-life family "von Marburg" exist though.

Coincidentally, on German television, names of nobility are usually made up as well. Possibly in order to not offend people who carry the same name.

Even funnier is that Christine Marburg was the name of Dick Wolf's (he was the writer of the episode) wife he was married to in 1987. This was obviously not a happy marriage as using your wife's name for a madam of a prostitution ring is not exactly a proof of love. 

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Tom:

This was obviously not a happy marriage as using your wife's name for a madam of a prostitution ring is not exactly a proof of love. 

:) Marriage does bring out the worst in people occasionally...

But oh well, Dick Wolf was all over the place as a matter of principle. When asked in an interview not too long ago what his favorite episode of Miami Vice was, he actually said "the one with the aliens", and other episodes that were a bit "out there". I think that's almost as bad as creating a prostitute character and naming it after your wife... :p it just kind of shows that you've lost the plot about certain things...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Crockettt said:

According to Miami Vice Wiki Crockett's birth date was July 29, 1953.

Ahh but that's the birthday he gave when he was undercover in "By Hooker By Crook"  So is that his birthday or Burnett's?

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

He also plays a very mean Gus Fring in "Breaking Bad"

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

Ahh but that's the birthday he gave when he was undercover in "By Hooker By Crook"  So is that his birthday or Burnett's?

It's either way probably the closest we'll ever get to knowing his actual birthday. :p

But you probably would give a false date while you're undercover... you wouldn't want drug dealers showing up on your actual birthday while you're barbecueing in the backyard with your wife and kids...  "Honey, who are these men, and why do they have machine guns??" :):)

vor 26 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

He also plays a very mean Gus Fring in "Breaking Bad"

oh ok... well Breaking Bad just sort of passed me by completely. I have never watched a single episode.

I know, I know...

Edited by Daytona74

• Administrators
On 10/14/2017 at 5:13 PM, Daytona74 said:

oh ok... well Breaking Bad just sort of passed me by completely. I have never watched a single episode.

I know, I know...

It passed me by the first time too. Decided to watch when AMC ran it again. Watched the first 2 episodes, then went out and bought the first 3 seasons on DVD cause I couldn't wait!  You have no idea what you're missing!  Check it out!

• Like 1