Dexter filming locations

Dadrian

18 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@C Glide @airtommy (and any other location guru):

Have any of these ever been discussed here? I really love that show. I believe his apartment is near Bal Harbor.

I checked this Dadrian - and whilst the show was primarily shot in LA some establishing shots were taken in Miami , 

I believe this is the condo exterior at 1155 103rd Street, Bay Harbor Islands, just behind Bal Harbor Shops

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/1155+103rd+St,+Miami+Beach,+FL+33154,+USA/@25.8934596,-80.1329248,3a,75y,356.18h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB8UyTO1o6oli7tNeEPmb0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9ad7d42f1583d:0x8b32379baa83c817!8m2!3d25.894368!4d-80.132979

Okay. Thanks, Matt. I knew many of the shots looked like sets, and locations that could be anywhere, but kind of like CSI Miami, I do see an occasional exterior shot that looks familiar. 

Also, sometimes when he’s out on his boat the trees and buildings ashore really look like Miami. 

• Administrators

I think only the first two seasons were actually shot in Miami. In later seasons most of the shots were in LA, until eventually in the last couple of seasons it was 100% shot in LA. Dexter's apartment is indeed on Bay Habor Islands, but I believe they made a studio set for it in the later seasons to shoot it all in LA.

I feel like it lost its way after a while (when they moved more towards filming in LA), I like the first 2 or 3 seasons because it feels very Miami, very Cubano. I sometimes get the feeling I'm on a holiday when watching it. :p 

I'm a huge fan of Dexter, it's in my top 3 favourite shows. MV, BN, and Dexter. Ironically all of my favourite shows are based in Miami. :)

• Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 1:20 AM, airtommy said:

I've never seen Dexter.  If you have screencaps, I always love a new location mystery. 

It appears that much of the sleuthing has already been done:  http://www.seeing-stars.com/Dexter/index1.shtml

Thanks for this link! I guess I could have done a search for them. 

You may already know, but Dexter is on Netflix, and is almost solely worth the monthly fee until you finish it. 

Be warned: if you watch the first episode it’s next to impossible to not be hooked. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian

7 hours ago, airtommy said:

I've never seen Dexter.  If you have screencaps, I always love a new location mystery. 

It appears that much of the sleuthing has already been done:  http://www.seeing-stars.com/Dexter/index1.shtml

Excellent location site.  I like the organization, clickable map, organized by type of site, location etc.  I had heard about it being filmed in Miami but didn't realize that so many scenes were shot there, at least for the first few seasons.  The fact that Dexter, the lead character, is a serial killer discouraged me from watching it.  Are any Vice locations used in the series?

18 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Excellent location site.  I like the organization, clickable map, organized by type of site, location etc.  I had heard about it being filmed in Miami but didn't realize that so many scenes were shot there, at least for the first few seasons.  The fact that Dexter, the lead character, is a serial killer discouraged me from watching it.  Are any Vice locations used in the series?

I think there is some Ocean Drive in the first episode. There may be others, too. I don’t have as good an eye as some of you, hence this topic. 

I think you would enjoy it, Jim. It has a kind of “dark side” appeal not too unlike “Little Miss Dangerous”! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dadrian, my daughter is a Dexter Fan.  I will buy the first two seasons on DVD, can probably use the references in my book that is turning into a decades long project.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think there is some Ocean Drive in the first episode. There may be others, too. I don’t have as good an eye as some of you, hence this topic. 

I think you would enjoy it, Jim. It has a kind of “dark side” appeal not too unlike “Little Miss Dangerous”! :thumbsup:

For Ocean Drive, cruising down there in the first episode and when they find the Ice Truck springs to mind. The Ice Truck was parked up on Ocean Drive. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

You may already know, but Dexter is on Netflix, and is almost solely worth the monthly fee Uruk you finish it.

Which button do I press for Netflix?  :)

vcr.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds interesting - didn’t the Dexter lead star in the 2014 “Cold in July” movie with Don Johnson? I seem to recall him in that .

Good about the first two seasons in Miami :hippie:

Idk, but James Remar (Robbie) is one of the main characters in Dexter!

Edited by Dadrian

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Sounds interesting - didn’t the Dexter lead star in the 2014 “Cold in July” movie with Don Johnson? I seem to recall him in that .

Good about the first two seasons in Miami :hippie:

Yes, I believe Michael C Hall was indeed in that.

And Jennifer Carpenter, who plays Dexter's foster sister Debra, was in Brawl in Cell Block 99. :p 

2 hours ago, James said:

And Jennifer Carpenter, who plays Dexter's foster sister Debra, was in Brawl in Cell Block 99. :p 

She will always be Emily Rose to me :hot:

On 24/10/2017 at 12:58 PM, James said:

Yes, I believe Michael C Hall was indeed in that.

Thankyou yes I thoughts so :hippie: