RIP John Hillerman

jpaul1

one of the very few TV duos that can come close to MV duo in term of popularity and fame. Higgins has left us yesterday

1510272877126.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

I have studied Aristotle, Socrates, William Friedrich Hegel, Bertrand Russell. I have toured college campuses debating the virtues of dialectic versus symbolic syllogism. I have written scholarly articles on the need for a new, more dynamic logic. But nothing in my life has prepared me for the workings of the Thomas Magnum mind.

Higgins aka John Hillerman will be missed 

• Like 5

Higgins: You know lads, I sometimes view myself as a later-day Job, constantly being tested by our Creator. How else could I possibly justify four major wars, dozens of minor conflicts, seven natural disasters, and...
Magnum: Aha! Double play Tigers!
Higgins: ...Him. 

And the often repeated "Oh.. My.. Gawd!" in response to something Magnum had done. Hillerman played the perfect foil to Magnum's character. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 4

On 11/11/2017 at 5:58 AM, James said:

What? Nooo! This sucks. RIP Higgins. :(

9fcef8137575809e15634aabfa9015bc.jpg

With Zeus and Apollo, the trusted "lads". A great show made even greater by a Texan playing a Brit, and was so convincing he received fan mail from the UK asking from where he hailed. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

With Zeus and Apollo, the trusted "lads". A great show made even greater by a Texan playing a Brit, and was so convincing he received fan mail from the UK asking from where he hailed. 

Yep, his acting was absolutely brilliant. Never have I heard an American put on such a great and convincing British accent. 

• Like 3

On 11/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, jpm1 said:

one of the very few TV duos that can come close to MV duo in term of popularity and fame. Higgins has left us yesterday

1510272877126.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Met Hillerman 2 times, super nice man. The first time was at a party and when he spoke in what I thought was a Southern accent, I just thought he was messing with folks. Until he said it was his real voice. I didn't believe him at first. The second time was a couple of years later during the filming of MPI. The ex had some business to tend to so we went over in October 84. The ex and I got a tour of the set and "Robins Nest." Met Selleck, Mosely, and Manetti, all was super nice as well. If you didn't know who they were you could have easily assumed they were crew not talent. We had a lunch on set that day and Hillerman sat with us as well as her client.

He was a true gentleman he will be missed by many.

On another note, is that EJO over Hillerman's right shoulder?

• Like 3

Very cool story there @king77 and that is pretty incredible that you were able to meet the cast not once but twice! This was one of my all time favorite series of that era, one of the few I have on disc,  and I was also a big fan of Jonathan Quayle Higgins. 

I also read this when Selleck commented about his passing:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-selleck-pays-tribute-magnum-pi-star-john-hillermans-accent-fooled-brits-1057950

as well as :
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/nov/14/john-hillerman-obituary

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

It was never "officially" said but "unofficially" yes. 

In the beginnning they were meant to be two separate people but as the series progressed that changed and more and more "clues" became obvious. Watch the episode "Paper War" season 7 ep. 8, and see the references Higgins makes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1