Magnum PI Reboot in the works at CBS

Assasinge

I'm not sure what to think of this reboot, and there is addl info here: http://deadline.com/2017/10/magnum-pi-reboot-cbs-peter-lenkov-1202192310/

Seems the same people who did the reboot of Hawaii 5-0 are doing this one. I liked the 5-0 reboot initially but they have made many cast changes and the newest ones seem out of place to me...doesn't quite have the feel that it did when first released. That along with the show bringing in actors at the tail end of their careers in some guest roles is not too interesting to me, as they did repeatedly with a number of actors such as Ed Asner, Melanie Griffith and some others. That was a formula used in tv series from several decades ago, and it became old fast. 

If the Magnum reboot follows this kind of formula I am not sure how interesting it will be, in spite of the fact that I am a big fan of the original series carried by the great chemistry among the 4 principal characters, with plots laced with humor and style, and the tremendous contrast between Magnum and Higgins that was a big part of most episodes. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Not sure if anyone' posted this here yet, but in case anyone's missed it - they've released the trailer for the Magnum PI reboot.

After seeing this, I am extremely worried about Vin Diesel's Miami Vice. What if it ends up like this...

The guy playing Magnum is soulless, the supporting cast have no chemistry, Higgins is a chick, too much CGI, and the whole style of the show is too generic and politically correct to be Magnum PI, as someone else said, it's more like Magnum PC...

This will get cancelled after one season. 

It looks so much worse than the other remakes on that network (Hawaii 5-0 and MacGyver). But I suppose it would be harsh to judge it before even seeing it first. 

Considering that these "first look" trailers are usually all from the first episode, they (fake CGI) destroyed two Ferrari's in one episode. Seriously? 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holy shit....I showed this to my dad who is a big Magnum PI fan and the look of disgust on his face!

I agree, this looks really bad and deviates hard from the original show itself. And as James said...I'm worried about the MV reboot ending up this crappy. Seriously, this looks pretty bad and cliche action, nothing suggests it's a MG PI reboot whatsoever. 

These reboots need to stop. Like, seriously.

Edit: This reboot looks worse than the Knight Rider one from 2008. Deplorable.

Edited by Assasinge

Honestly that looks so cookie cutter and generic it should be called McMagnum P.I.

Magnum himself looks and sounds like every other generic action hero on TV ever, same blah camera work and lighting seen in every other CBS show, cruddy music over the trailer complete with a light "Inception" horn at various points of the trailer, cheesy CGI action with one scene there near the end (the helicopter jump) which looks straight out of a Bollywood action film and a host of other boring, unimaginative scrapings off the writing room floor. Honestly if they threw a Saturday Night Live logo over the end it would probably fit as this looks like a comedy sketch spoofing CBS crime shows.

But honestly, as much as I'd like to say cancelled upon arrival I can almost see this show picking up somehow. Like Assasinge I wonder how this does bode for the Miami Vice reboot and how generic they're going to make that.

• Like 2

In a word....terrible, and looks just like one would expect with its roots in Fast and Ridiculous...a brainless actioner. 

Horrid choice in lead character, little chemistry, weak supporting cast, and bears almost NO resemblance to the original series, of which I am a fan. The original series had humor, and a genuine likability factor in Magnum as well as the tremendous chemistry with Higgins as the foil. 

The only similarity i see is the chopper and 308 Ferrari. 

Seems this could be worse than McGuyver and certainly Hawaii 5-0, which is the only reboot I can watch. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Reboots almost never work well and just rip off the name and characters of a good show. This looks to be the same.

• Like 1

What a shame that reboots nowadays are basically a poor excuse for lack of talent and creativity around Hollywood nowadays, not to mention they're just ruining the original series any way they can. 

:(

• 1 month later...

no way will i watch this. A couple years ago i watched all the Magnum episodes on Encore. Didn't see them originally. I was 9 when it came on in 1980. Great show, load of &(A$(%&$ that they'd remake it. 

Seriously CBS is doing nothing but remakes it seems. Macgyver?! Hawaii 5-0 ( which has some rediculous plots and i stopped watching that last year)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Premiere date for this abomination has been announced as September 24th at 9pm

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/cbs-announces-premiere-dates-for-its-murphy-brown-revival-and-magnum-p-i-reboot/

Noooooooooooooooooo... 

I was actually thinking about this last night, wondering when it was going to air. So thanks for the update! 

I guess I'll watch the first episode and then try to forget that it exists. 

• Haha 1

The preview was over the top with stunts that are unbelievable. Just don't think it will be any good. I'd rather watch a TV Movie with most of the original cast than this series.

Edited by Gary1911A1
Spell

1 hour ago, Gary1911A1 said:

The preview was over the top with stats that are unbelievable. Just don't think it will be any good. I'd rather watch a TV Movie with most of the original cast than this series.

Definately I agree.