Monstrosity

miamijimf

2 hours ago, Mark Zubenko said:

I warned everyone about it a year ago, these guys need to be stopped! :D

Ya but how?  Money talks especially in Miami.  We could protest at the marina but that didn't stop the destruction of the Little Prince house on Star Island.

Edited by miamijimf

when i discovered Miami one of the first things that made me fall in love with that city, it was that it was a big city that didn't look to a big city. i think this is the only one reason why i'm in love with that town. concerning that thing above. i really don't know. i think only residents can appreciate if good or not. as a non resident myself i think it could be cool. i mean it could be fun to have a fantastic panorama of the area. but again only the area residents can tell. if they put telescopes on top it could be a fantastic touristic spot for MV fans, but in the same time something pretty nasty in term on private life protection

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

when i discovered Miami one of the first things that made me fall in love with that city, it was that it was a big city that didn't look to a big city. i think this is the only one reason why i'm in love with that town. concerning that thing above. i really don't know. i think only residents can appreciate if good or not. as a non resident myself i think it could be cool. i mean it could be fun to have a fantastic panorama of the area. but again only the area residents can tell. if they put telescopes on top it could be a fantastic touristic spot for MV fans, but in the same time something pretty nasty in term on private life protection

Well said - some good points jpm1 :hippie:

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Isn’t that Crockett’s marina? Hard Rock Cafe? Biscayne Shops? :wuerg:

Unfortunately yes.  This monstrosity belongs in Orlando with Disney World, Universal Orlando, Epcot, Seaworld etc etc.  Miami is not a damn theme park.  If you throw enough money around the local commissioners etc will roll over for anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Why not just put one of those giant Ferris Wheels a lot of cities have nowadays.

This "Skyrise" is supposed to be a viewing platform thing, right? Pretty much like the Eiffel Tower? It doesn't belong in Miami. It just looks out of place. Not a fan of the futuristic design at all. 

I wish I could stop them, but I'm about 10,000 miles away.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Apparently, that monstrosity is still not being constructed. So things are not going accordng to plans? Well, good I suppose. 
https://www.thenextmiami.com/skyrise-miami-site-is-still-being-used-as-a-surface-parking-lot/

Also, check out the wiki article. The picture there actually gives off a Miami Vice vibe. Probably because of the colors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyRise_Miami
Interesting tidbits from that article:
"The project was approved by the city commission[5] and Miami voters in 2014.[4] A significant portion of the several hundred million dollar project may be funded by foreign investors seeking American citizenship through EB-5 visas.[6]"

"Developer Jeff Berkowitz pledged repeatedly that SkyRise would be built at no cost to the city of Miami, and ran an ad campaign during the campaign for the project's approval vote that flatly stated that "taxpayers win without putting in a cent."[13] He also made the same claim using almost the same wording, "not one cent of Miami money", in a city commission meeting in June 2014.[14] But months earlier, in February 2014, he had quietly applied for US$15 million in economic development funding.[6] Local blogger Al Crespo referred to Berkowitz as a "duplicitous hypocrite" for claiming that the project would be privately funded while quietly seeking public funding.[15] [...]"

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 2

while reading that thread, i'm realizing that my aversion for skyscrappers i have since i'm a kid is still strong. i never liked these things. all these things are maybe a side effect of Vice success. everybody wants to live his floridian dream. give them apartments at reasonable price, pay tax to the town hall, and grab the cash. everyone is happy except the locals, and the people that love the city small town spirit. without Capitman it would be Disney world out there. we could throw peanuts at miamijim in a cage :p

OMG you’re kidding me! No April’s fool day article?

The shape of this monster and the planned location makes me think the architect might be hooked on genital display in public :thumbsdown:?( 

12 hours ago, jpm1 said:

while reading that thread, i'm realizing that my aversion for skyscrappers i have since i'm a kid is still strong. i never liked these things. all these things are maybe a side effect of Vice success. everybody wants to live his floridian dream. give them apartments at reasonable price, pay tax to the town hall, and grab the cash. everyone is happy except the locals, and the people that love the city small town spirit. without Capitman it would be Disney world out there. we could throw peanuts at miamijim in a cage :p

Small town it will never be again but the small town spirit does live on in communities like Little Havana, the Grove etc.  It wasn't just Capitman who managed to save parts of old Miami it was journalist Bill Baggs who fought tor make half of Key Biscayne a state park instead of turning it over to developers, the State Govt. that created Biscayne National Park and saved Stiltsville, Gloria Estefan who helped preserve the Miami Marine Stadium etc etc.  It could still happen but if it does, roasted peanuts only please, I don't like them raw.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Haha 1

the marina is a trully beautiful place. i really hope they won't do that there. these huge buildings are so impersonal. each time one grows up from the earth the city looses a bit of its soul. the Atlantis, now that a nice building height for a city like Miami. i'll probably have to go there soon. i do hope i won't be disappointed. i love that place so much. thinking they could have ruined it all, just puts the rage inside of me you know

atlantis-on-brickell-condos-miami-11.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Dadrian said:

Isn’t that Crockett’s marina? Hard Rock Cafe? Biscayne Shops? :wuerg:

It looks like the marina where they were trying to take Elvis away from Sonny! 

• Administrators

It is Crockett's Marina in season 1. If you want to go to Miami, go now before this penis shaped monstrosity ruins the marina forever. It will never be the same. 

Can Miami locals PLEASE protest this? PLEASE! 

• Haha 2

Am 23.9.2018 um 17:26 schrieb jpm1:

these huge buildings are so impersonal. each time one grows up from the earth the city looses a bit of its soul.

That's quite a profound statement, jpm1. You know how I read that first?  Each time one grows up from the earth he loses a bit of his soul. As in each time  a person grows up in a skypscraper or tall building they lose a bit of soul because it's a disconnect from the earth. Makes sense too, doesn't it? 

• Like 1

to be honest i don't know how to describe this. but when i see a small, and reasonable sized building iin my mind there's the possibility for everyone to know everybody. thus it preserves the community links, which in the end make the soul of a town, or a city. the quarters have a soul, an identity. in these big buildings it's impossible to know everyone. there's no soul, it's just productivity, and coldness