New Member saying hello!

Pognoot

Hey everyone, happy to join this forum and talk about my absolute favorite show from the 1980s! 

I grew up watching Vice, but haven't seen any episodes until recently when my wife got me the BluRay box set for my birthday.  I started with S1 E1 and I've watched every episode in chronological order.  Last night I finished S5 E5.  So far, I don't have a season preference that so many Vice fans love to discuss.  All have featured some outstanding episodes, and OKs, and some duds.  But overall, what an outstanding show!  The only general complaint from a seasonal level is that while I like S1, I felt like the dialog was at times campy and cheesy, and the acting wasn't nearly as good as some of the later stuff, esp from what I have seen thus far in S5.  

Does anyone else agree?   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pognoot said:

Hey everyone, happy to join this forum and talk about my absolute favorite show from the 1980s! 

I grew up watching Vice, but haven't seen any episodes until recently when my wife got me the BluRay box set for my birthday.  I started with S1 E1 and I've watched every episode in chronological order.  Last night I finished S5 E5.  So far, I don't have a season preference that so many Vice fans love to discuss.  All have featured some outstanding episodes, and OKs, and some duds.  But overall, what an outstanding show!  The only general complaint from a seasonal level is that while I like S1, I felt like the dialog was at times campy and cheesy, and the acting wasn't nearly as good as some of the later stuff, esp from what I have seen thus far in S5.  

Does anyone else agree?   

Welcome to this great site about a great show :hippie:

Welcome to the site!

I guess S1 had more use of the street language/slang written in the dialogue to reflect, how undercover cops talked in real life with drug dealers. And it's probably also the season, where Crockett says pal the most times. S1 had a great balance between humor and the more serious story-lines. Appeared most natural to me. Unlike S5 which was overall too dark, personally not a fan of S5. I thought "book em danno" was cheesy, but that's from S3, I think. Also some of the guest stars didn't give their best performance, I must say. :)

Yeah I get the funny side...Elvis the pet alligator that scares people,  the Izzy humor, etc.  Maybe I just prefer the darker themes and storylines that suck you in.  I do like the fashions and look of S1 and S2, but the music has been great throughout, and sometimes the darker colors work better with the darker storylines.  IMO

Welcome to the site!

I have somehow grown to like most of the cheesiness of Season 1. It’s became part of the charm over the years. I don’t think any of the seasons are completely without it. :p

There are lots of great threads and information available on this site. Be sure and check out the download section if you like Jan Hammer’s score:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/files/category/8-dadrian-wilson-covers/

:thumbsup:

Welcome, Pognoot to our long-running Miami Vice website! You can have many great discussions here about the show. :thumbsup:

Concerning the Season 1 dialog, you must remember many of us lived through the '70s & '80s so the dialog and fashions were groundbreaking  and cool in a police drama. That's what made us big fans of Miami Vice.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Pal.  As to your question.  I lived through the 80s and the dialog was the way we did talk to each other.  It was real and the writers put that in the show. 

• Like 1

The cheesy dialog of S1 reminds me of the original Knight Rider series, although not quite as cheesy!   :-)    But I also agree, by modern standards Dadrian, there is cheesy dialog throughout all of the seasons. 

You guys will like this,  I picked up Crockett's Ray Ban L2052 mock tortoise off the auction site. You can still find them. They were made while Ray Ban was still owned by Bausch and Lomb.

They have a high degree of pantoscopic tilt, much more than the Ray Bans of today. I get lots of looks. 

1 hour ago, Pognoot said:

I picked up Crockett's Ray Ban L2052 mock tortoise off the auction site.

Dude, you got to show us those glasses.  Don't keep us in suspense.  :D

On 28/11/2017 at 6:37 PM, summer84 said:

Welcome to the site!

I guess S1 had more use of the street language/slang written in the dialogue to reflect, how undercover cops talked in real life with drug dealers. And it's probably also the season, where Crockett says pal the most times. S1 had a great balance between humor and the more serious story-lines. Appeared most natural to me. Unlike S5 which was overall too dark, personally not a fan of S5. I thought "book em danno" was cheesy, but that's from S3, I think. Also some of the guest stars didn't give their best performance, I must say. :)

Good points Summer :hippie:

• Administrators
On 29/11/2017 at 4:57 AM, Pognoot said:

The only general complaint from a seasonal level is that while I like S1, I felt like the dialog was at times campy and cheesy, and the acting wasn't nearly as good as some of the later stuff,

This scene right here, best acting ever. :) 

vlcsnap-2017-12-06-00h00m47s566.png

Welcome to the site, Pognoot. Hope you enjoy your stay. Just PM me if you need help with anything. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Hello and very welcome!!! 

It's been a while since I started to see Miami Vice, I just finished the first season. For now, S1 is my favorite Season, for introducing me to the style 80's and this great tv show, love the music, maily, the jan hammer composition. The great balance between humor and serious moments of story line, always makes me review S1. Next year, I'll buy the box dvd to watch the next seasons, I hope they are of the same level as S1. 

On 28/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Pognoot said:

Yeah I get the funny side...Elvis the pet alligator that scares people,  the Izzy humor, etc.  Maybe I just prefer the darker themes and storylines that suck you in.  I do like the fashions and look of S1 and S2, but the music has been great throughout, and sometimes the darker colors work better with the darker storylines.  IMO

Hope you are enjoying the site - it’s the best resource of Miami Vice on the web !:hippie:

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome! As Tony says; we grew up then and everything about MV was new. Infact in the Netherlands the show was widely introduced weeks before in opened on tv as something spectacular, and it was! About the 'cheesyness', well, yes there are some scenes in season one I do not like. Izzy was great! But I didn't  like Noogie very much. To much 'Rooster' from Starsky en Hutch and absolutely not MV IMO. Later on it got better when he was gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omaha said:

Welcome! As Tony says; we grew up then and everything about MV was new. Infact in the Netherlands the show was widely introduced weeks before in opened on tv as something spectacular, and it was! About the 'cheesyness', well, yes there are some scenes in season one I do not like. Izzy was great! But I didn't  like Noogie very much. To much 'Rooster' from Starsky en Hutch and absolutely not MV IMO. Later on it got better when he was gone.

Best wishes and happy new year to you Omaha :cheers:

On 11/28/2017 at 11:57 AM, Pognoot said:

Does anyone else agree?   

Very well put! I too agree all seasons had amazing episodes, so-so ones, and duds. But overall superb, iconic show! :thumbsup:

I also agree some of Season 1 was a little cheesy...but most 80s shows, even the dramas, had some of this. In my opinion the first crime show (that I watched and/or remember) to be all serious-dark, and very little humor, was CSI. But hey, like it or not ‘cheese’ is a fact of life...figuratively and literally! :p

10 hours ago, omaha said:

Definitely agree Noogie was annoying and over-the-top ridiculous! :evil: I too liked it when he was phased out!  :clap: 

16 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Very well put! I too agree all seasons had amazing episodes, so-so ones, and duds. But overall superb, iconic show! :thumbsup:

I also agree some of Season 1 was a little cheesy...but most 80s shows, even the dramas, had some of this. In my opinion the first crime show (that I watched and/or remember) to be all serious-dark, and very little humor, was CSI. But hey, like it or not ‘cheese’ is a fact of life...figuratively and literally! :p

Nothing wrong with a little cheesiness. It's part of the show's charm.:cool:

• Like 1