Opening Titles Changes During Castillo Eps From S1

ivoryjones

It's funny how you can watch something for decades, care about it, and yet miserably fail to notice some tiny details. If I ever knew this before yesterday (I really doubt it), It's been so long that I've totally forgot it.

So, I've just notice that the opening titles change on Season 1 during Castillo eps. I'm not talking about the change from Lou eps to later eps, of course (no glow to pink glow, among other details, it was a big change!). I'm also not talking about the tiny change that occurs from "Calderone's Demise" to "One Eyed Jack" (no Lieutenant credits on the former, "and Edward James Olmos as Castillo" on the latter). I'm also leaving the bikini girls with Miami Vice jackets from NBC's first broadcast of "Made for Each Other" out of it, as it's an exceptional case.

Here's what I've just noticed:

First (starting on "Calderone's Demise", then with the addition of Edward James Olmos credits starting on "One Eyed Jack"), you get this order of takes:

005-calderones%20return%20part%20IImill%

Then (starting on "Glades"), you get a slight change:

011-little%20princemill%20creek%20bd_06.

I can confirm from my NBC broadcasts DVDs that the second version starts on "Glades" (ep09) and continues until the last episode of Season 1, "Lombard". It makes a lot of sense if you consider Season 2, because, even though S2 changes opening titles a bit, it's quite obvious its starting point was the version appearing on the "Glades"-to-"Lombard" segment. Yet, on Mill Creek Blu-ray, for that matter, Season 1 turned out to be really messy: the second version started later, on "Little Prince". From then on, the two versions kind of keep taking turns ("Little Prince" has the second version, "Milk Run" the first version, "Golden Triangle" the second version, "Golden Triangle part II" the first version, "Smuggler's Blues" the second version, "Rites of Passage" the second version, "The Maze" the first version, "Made for Each Other" the second version, "The Home Invaders" the second version, "Nobody Lives Forever" the second version, "Evan" the first version, and "Lombard" the first version).

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1