Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

I think this topic should be revived.  There is a lot of new and old info about the Magic City that would be of interest.  Some of this info does not perfectly fit into any other thread.  I know some members would like to be kept up to date with recent happenings in Miami because they are planning on traveling there or just would like to know the latest status of iconic Miami Vice filming locations.  So this is the place for it.  If any of the administrators think this thread should be in another part of our great web site, it's OK with me.

Here is an example of what I think is a newsworthy event:  Two day ago the Coast Guard seized 12 tons of cocaine worth 378 mil off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale.  That's huge, sounds like Vice days.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I think this topic should be revived.  There is a lot of new and old info about the Magic City that would be of interest.  Some of this info does not perfectly fit into any other thread.  I know some members would like to be kept up to date with recent happenings in Miami because they are planning on traveling there or just would like to know the latest status of iconic Miami Vice filming locations.  So this is the place for it.  If any of the administrators think this thread should be in another part of our great web site, it's OK with me.

Here is an example of what I think is a newsworthy event:  Two day ago the Coast Guard seized 12 tons of cocaine worth 378 mil off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale.  That's huge, sounds like Vice days.

I think this is a great idea Jim:hippie:

Here's an interesting video about the Old Spanish Monastery seen in Forgive Us Our Debts.   If Miami Doesn't have it, nobody's thought of it yet.

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Here's an interesting video about the Old Spanish Monastery seen in Forgive Us Our Debts.   If Miami Doesn't have it, nobody's thought of it yet.

Great Jim Thankyou for posting :hippie:

From my trip there in February 2017:hippie:

3F58BFAF-2F99-41FA-A166-F1C9960C867F.jpeg

A9073A7F-290D-480D-9409-380E544045AE.jpeg

• Like 4

• miamijimf pinned this topic
5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Miami Vice Studio - Greenwich Studios up for sale in North Miami. Reports say finding it difficult to find a buyer .:hippie:

http://www.miami.com/miami-news/miami-vice-was-filmed-in-this-north-miami-studio-now-the-propertys-fate-is-uncertain-175999/

Part of the problem finding a buyer is that the state has cut off subsidies to production companies for filming in Fla.  Stupid decision because these companies bring in millions to the local economies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2017 at 4:57 PM, miamijimf said:

Part of the problem finding a buyer is that the state has cut off subsidies to production companies for filming in Fla.  Stupid decision because these companies bring in millions to the local economies.

I agree Jim a silly decision if these studios stand empty

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Ocean Drive, Miami Beach at Christmas time :hippie::xmas::happy:

You are there?  It looks like I will be making the 5+ hr drive down for the Orange Bowl football game on 30 Dec.  Have to drive back the next day.

Edited by miamijimf

11 hours ago, miamijimf said:

You are there?  It looks like I will be making the 5+ hr drive down for the Orange Bowl football game on 30 Dec.  Have to drive back the next day.

No Jim - not there a friend posted it to me while she was there . 

Sounds like a quick trip on the 30th - hope to see you in 2018:hippie::xmas:

• Like 1

On 28/12/2017 at 12:43 AM, miamijimf said:

A few more Jim from Lincoln Road Mall, Miami Beach :hippie::xmas::happy:

D7A9B70F-0105-41EC-A0BB-04991152F40B.jpeg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

Love these pictures Matt!  Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure - all very festive aren’t they 

Thankyou ComplimentsofMrCalderone:dance2::fireworks:

An FX TV production filmed inside the famous Casa Casuarina (Versace Mansion) on Ocean Drive, seen in the Pilot.  It is a season of American Crime Story devoted to the Versace murder and will premiere on January 17.  This has to be the most elaborate and historic home on the Beach.  https://miami.curbed.com/2018/1/3/16846594/versace-mansion-american-crime-story-villa-casa-casuarina

• Like 2

An FX TV production filmed inside the famous Casa Casuarina (Versace Mansion) on Ocean Drive, seen in the Pilot.  It is a season of American Crime Story devoted to the Versace murder and will premiere on January 17.  This has to be the most elaborate and historic home on the Beach.  https://miami.curbed.com/2018/1/3/16846594/versace-mansion-american-crime-story-villa-casa-casuarina

Thankyou Jim for the heads up - appreciated:hippie:

After over 6 weeks - a buyer has still not been found for the Miami Vice studios up in North Miami.

The big screen 2006 "Miami Vice" movie was not filmed here - in fact Michael Mann did not approach Greenwich Studios at all, instead production was based mainly out of the Greenberg Traurig building at 1221 Brickell Avenue. ("Stones War", "Killshot", "Rising Sun of Death")

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2017/11/28/lights-camera-action-historic-landmark-greenwich-studios-hits-the-market/

• Like 1