I might be moving to Florida!!

TylerDurden389

Just a quick non-update for you guys. Not only was I wrong about the transferring process, but I squandered my chances by taking too many sick days from work. Here's the short version: I would've gotten that first job, had I not stupidly cancelled it under the guise that I thought the offer was an actual guarantee. So I've had to re-apply to many places again. I've been offered several jobs since then, but I took a lot of sick days during the past 5 months due to stress from work (it gets very bad during the holiday season and for a few months afterwards). In order to transfer, they want people who take off as little as possible. A dumb practice IMO, but it's the only thing I guess they can really do to thin out the herd for the best/most reliable candidates. I spent a lot of time kicking myself over it since, but I can only justify it by saying that, had I actually gone to work those days I called out, I probably wouldn't have a job right now, as I would've said or done something that would've gotten me fired for sure.

Only thing I can do now is work on my attitude towards the unfair BS that goes on at my job and not let it affect my morale. I don't even care if I do get sick, I have to go to work if I ever plan on getting outta here. I have 2 pending offers as of this writing, but one hasn't been updated in a month, and the other I heard from about a week ago and haven't heard anything since. Every 1st of the month I check for more opportunities, but now I'm honestly considering giving North Carolina a try just for now, just to get the heck outta NYC. This place is just way too expensive to live. I don't even feel like I'm living, but just surviving. Cost of living is a lot cheaper there. And in all honesty, I enjoy getting out to the woods to go camping and hiking just as much as I wanna lay out on the sand and bake, lol.

Sorry for the bad news everyone. Believe me, my parents were very disappointed as well.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Sad 2

Bummer for you, TylerDurden :(  Good luck with the job search and although it sucks, it's good that you realized employers put a high value on attendance.  Hope you will be able to find something much more compatible soon!

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Just a quick non-update for you guys. Not only was I wrong about the transferring process, but I squandered my chances by taking too many sick days from work. Here's the short version: I would've gotten that first job, had I not stupidly cancelled it under the guise that I thought the offer was an actual guarantee. So I've had to re-apply to many places again. I've been offered several jobs since then, but I took a lot of sick days during the past 5 months due to stress from work (it gets very bad during the holiday season and for a few months afterwards). In order to transfer, they want people who take off as little as possible. A dumb practice IMO, but it's the only thing I guess they can really do to thin out the herd for the best/most reliable candidates. I spent a lot of time kicking myself over it since, but I can only justify it by saying that, had I actually gone to work those days I called out, I probably wouldn't have a job right now, as I would've said or done something that would've gotten me fired for sure.

Only thing I can do now is work on my attitude towards the unfair BS that goes on at my job and not let it affect my morale. I don't even care if I do get sick, I have to go to work if I ever plan on getting outta here. I have 2 pending offers as of this writing, but one hasn't been updated in a month, and the other I heard from about a week ago and haven't heard anything since. Every 1st of the month I check for more opportunities, but now I'm honestly considering giving North Carolina a try just for now, just to get the heck outta NYC. This place is just way too expensive to live. I don't even feel like I'm living, but just surviving. Cost of living is a lot cheaper there. And in all honesty, I enjoy getting out to the woods to go camping and hiking just as much as I wanna lay out on the sand and bake, lol.

Sorry for the bad news everyone. Believe me, my parents were very disappointed as well.

Sorry to hear, man! Best of luck getting transferred in the future. 

10 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Sorry for you man - thanks for letting us all know here. Keep us updated and best of luck!

Well, on the one hand, I was talking to my brother who just moved to North Carolina and that plays looks wonderful. So I went over it with my parents and decided that instead of just trying to transfer to Florida, I'm gonna give everything between Florida and NC a chance as well (SC and Georgia). They seem to have more opportunities available, and at the very least I'm getting further south. Who knows, with any luck, I may be outta here by the end of the year. North Carolina to southern Florida is roughly 700 miles, so that's literally a lot of ground to cover, lol.

Good luck!!!  Hope you find something super-compatible that gives you time to enjoy the warm weather!

• 5 months later...

Thanks everyone!! There's gonna be some exciting stuff happening on my thread where I show you guys me living the lifestyle down there. And Dadrian, I work for the post office :D

• Like 2

Oh I took it plenty from grade-school through college. I can't exactly have a conversation, but I recognize enough of it to know generally what people are saying lol.

• Administrators
On 11/20/2018 at 5:20 AM, TylerDurden389 said:

Great news everyone!! I GOT MY TRANSFER!!! AND I'M GOING TO MIAMI!!! I LEAVE IN 1 MONTH!!! Time to start packing!!!

IMG_20181025_180341498.jpg

That's amazing! Congratulations pal! 

And nice outfit. ;) Blending in I see. 

• Like 2

Good for you Tyler.  My next trip to the Magic City looks like it will be in mid-Jan time frame.  Anyone there at that time who wants to hoist mojitos send me a message.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 6:20 PM, TylerDurden389 said:

Great news everyone!! I GOT MY TRANSFER!!! AND I'M GOING TO MIAMI!!! I LEAVE IN 1 MONTH!!! Time to start packing!!!

IMG_20181025_180341498.jpg

Fantastic - really great outfit.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 12:08 AM, TylerDurden389 said:

Thanks everyone!! There's gonna be some exciting stuff happening on my thread where I show you guys me living the lifestyle down there. And Dadrian, I work for the post office :D

How's the move been so far?  Is it good to live there?  Was thinking about how life would be like living in southern Florida.

Well, TBH I was stuck living with my parents about 60 miles north of Miami for over 3 months trying to find a place. With all the driving to work, I hardly had time to shop around for a place. I was also working a graveyard shift and sleeping during the day. Thankfully, I now live in Hollywood (closest place I could find in my price range), which isn't too far away. And I now work later in the day until 10:30pm. Thing is, I'm not really working in Miami, I'm further west in a place called Doral. There is literally nothing out here, it's all warehouse stuff. Another thing is I can't look to transfer again until after 18 months have passed (stupid policy they enforce).

I do plan on trying to take some pics of myself in various parts of Miami, but I gotta get some order first in regards of where to. I plan on rewatching the entire series soon and taking notes. I also plan on getting some neon lights in place soon as well. I've only drove down Ocean Drive a few times early in the morning, and there was a friend who flew down a few weeks ago that I hung out with. We went to a bar called "Lost Weekend" where they only play 80's music. I plan on checking it out again at some point.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Well, TBH I was stuck living with my parents about 60 miles north of Miami for over 3 months trying to find a place. With all the driving to work, I hardly had time to shop around for a place. I was also working a graveyard shift and sleeping during the day. Thankfully, I now live in Hollywood (closest place I could find in my price range), which isn't too far away. And I now work later in the day until 10:30pm. Thing is, I'm not really working in Miami, I'm further west in a place called Doral. There is literally nothing out here, it's all warehouse stuff. Another thing is I can't look to transfer again until after 18 months have passed (stupid policy they enforce).

I do plan on trying to take some pics of myself in various parts of Miami, but I gotta get some order first in regards of where to. I plan on rewatching the entire series soon and taking notes. I also plan on getting some neon lights in place soon as well. I've only drove down Ocean Drive a few times early in the morning, and there was a friend who flew down a few weeks ago that I hung out with. We went to a bar called "Lost Weekend" where they only play 80's music. I plan on checking it out again at some point.

Yes im aware of Doral too industry and warehouses. 

• 3 years later...

I wasn't sure where to place this, so I figured this thread was as good a place as any:

Recently I read this opinion piece by Cindy Adams, titled "Florida is a Snoozefest Compared to New York".

Wondering what other thought of her opinion. It seems to me she may be thinking pre-1980s.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/22/florida-is-a-snoozefest-compared-to-new-york/

Florida’s got nuthin’ on NY

Enough with people schlepping to Florida. Florida began 1,400 years ago. Nobody younger has been there since. Those in the state now could’ve been original settlers. Their average age is deceased.

Reports of how wonderful the place is start mouthing the minute transplants leave the JetBlue restroom. It’s got beaches. Sand. Sky. Ocean. Warmth. Hurricanes. Galleries. Crocodiles.

Also palms. Not leafy ones that provide shade for juniors. Outstretched ones that provide service for seniors. These palms have specific assignments. Like driving Madam’s car by day. By night just simply driving Madam.

Me, I’m a New Yorker. Born, bred, educated, schooled, work in New York. Even my dog’s a Yorkie. Never leave. Should — pardon the vulgarity — deBlasio and his mathematically enhanced wife come back, I’d still be here. Those cheapo Dutchmen who bought the place a few hundred years ago didn’t love this city more.

Transplants to Florida first learn the word “condo.” Next requirement is thinning blond hair and fat sequins. It’s book clubs, bridge clubs, garden clubs, art shows, tea, brunch, lunch, cocktails, drop-ins, manicures, coffees, cocktails, card games, shop openings, talks, fund-raisers, finger food at my condo, cheese and crackers at yours.

Late dinner reservations are 5 p.m. By 7:15 restaurants are already resetting for prunes and oatmeal.

Hollywood, Florida A couple enjoys a moment at the beach in Hollywood, Florida. Getty Images/Joe Raedle

New transplants are busy. Gents pull on green-and-white checked pants for golf. Ladies do Botox, doctor appointments or hospital benefits. And the conversation? “You know how cold it is in New York?”

Their friends up north have already gone on to that great big warehouse in the sky. So, there’s no longer jobs to go to. With Social Security comes no appointments to keep. No assistants to harangue. No bosses to placate. No calls to return. No deals to make. Florida is the used-to-bes heavy-duty BS.

Forget Mother Nature. It’s Father Time. Talk is how VIP they once were.

Question: How often can you discuss your favorite actress — Lana Turner?

This is social life? Don’t think so

The big draw is manufactured social life. It’s sequins, beads, bright colors, fringe, jewelry, big flowers, big hair, big BS.

Next most prolific item? Hearing aids. Florida restaurants come with whirring fans. Plus broiled fish/no gravy/no dressing/no fried — but not acoustic ceilings. Can’t even hear yourself tell the waiter: “No salt.”

locals eat at a restaurant on  Duval Street Locals eat at a restaurant on Duval Street in Key West. Getty Images/Paul Harris

Everyone shouts. Nobody hears. In Palm Beach you read collagen lips. Senior seniors shout to make themselves heard. Dinner’s the big thing. The one late-night event after 5 p.m. Always early because bedtime’s 9:15. It’s all social tables of 10. Shouting. They may be sitting in Coral Gables, but you can hear them in Forest Hills.

New York’s grid is laid out. Avenues, streets. In our civilization even migrants and vagrants find their way. Florida, not. This state has cutesy towns like Apalachicola, Okahumpka, Chattahoochee. Go meet somebody — lotsaluck.

And why am I writing this? Because I want them to shut up about knocking New York!

• Like 2