Don Johnson and the past that can haunt him.

ComplimentsofMrCalderone

I was wondering when this might happen. After all the sexual harrassment  reveals in Hollywood, and failed Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore pursuing 14 year old girls 40 or so years ago, I wondered in the back of my mind when someone would turn their focus on Don Johnson.

Well today, personally, I saw my first sign of it on Twitter.

Screenshot_20171221-082418.thumb.jpg.3cc80d3419c07cde13d686c904780491.jpg

Now this Twitter acount has over 4,000 followers, and it's undetermined if this will spread or not, but this could effect producers willingness to include DJ in a new project... even affect Don Johnson's possible return in Vin Diesel & NBC's new Miami Vice show currently in development. It could even effect how DJ's remembered once he's gone (if it ever gets bad enough.) 

Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Don Johnson... For someone like myself who turned 18 in the nineties, I never saw a time where dating that young was acceptable.  Apparently dating teenagers was more socially acceptable as well as legal many years ago (provided you had permission from your parents), but it is certainly creepy to think of something like this happening now.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where this all goes.

Edited by ComplimentsofMrCalderone

Now this is getting ridiculous.:D It's gotten to the point where you can't even look at an attractive woman without being convicted of thought crime.

We can all appreciate the #metoo sentiment but if they're just going to lump everyone in with the actual rapists and pedophiles then what's the point?. Apparently 99% of men are sick, evil, women haters or they acted innapropriatly towards them within the last 30 years.

Lets reserve our hatred for people actually accused/convicted of sex crimes or sexual harassment. No need to pick on Don.:p

• Like 5

From what I have read Don and Melanie were in love and it was amicable!

Of course America will have to take its Evangelical attitudes and paint it with the same tar brush that is haunting others who deserve it...and rightly so!

No woman should be sexually harassed or put upon with unwanted advances. Dons and Melanie's relationship, from what I gather, was mutual, and quite frankly I think people should mind their own business in regards to ones personal life. The only time something should be said publically is when a CRIME or ASSAULT have been committed.

I see no crime here?!?!?!?!?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

I was wondering when this might happen. After all the sexual harrassment  reveals in Hollywood, and failed Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore pursuing 14 year old girls 40 or so years ago, I wondered in the back of my mind when someone would turn their focus on Don Johnson.

Well today, personally, I saw my first sign of it on Twitter.

Screenshot_20171221-082418.thumb.jpg.3cc80d3419c07cde13d686c904780491.jpg

Now this Twitter acount has over 4,000 followers, and it's undetermined if this will spread or not, but this could effect producers willingness to include DJ in a new project... even affect Don Johnson's possible return in Vin Diesel & NBC's new Miami Vice show currently in development. It could even effect how DJ's remembered once he's gone (if it ever gets bad enough.) 

Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Don Johnson... For someone like myself who turned 18 in the nineties, I never saw a time where dating that young was acceptable.  Apparently dating teenagers was more socially acceptable as well as legal many years ago (provided you had permission from your parents), but it is certainly creepy to think of something like this happening now.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where this all goes.

So sad to see this nonsense !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stinger390X said:

From what I have read Don and Melanie were in love and it was amicable!

Of course America will have to take its Evangelical attitudes and paint it with the same tar brush that is haunting others who deserve it...and rightly so!

No woman should be sexually harassed or put upon with unwanted advances. Dons and Melanie's relationship, from what I gather, was mutual, and quite frankly I think people should mind their own business in regards to ones personal life. The only time something should be said publically is when a CRIME or ASSAULT have been committed.

I see no crime here?!?!?!?!?

I agree, that was the way I have read it as well.  In fact Melanie supposedly initiated the relationship, although she was only 14-15 years old.  Melanie has never, ever stated that Don made unwanted advances to her.  He admittedly dated and slept with a lot of women but--at least pre-MV--he had no power or influence as far as casting, etc., which is the reason generally given in Hollywood as to why a woman would put up with the Harvey Weinsteins of this world.   

If you read the UK Daily Mail story cited by MTVCops above, although the headline is inflammatory (Tippi Hedren's "sheer panic" over 14-year-old Melanie shacking up with Don Johnson), Tippi actually says only positive things about Melanie's and Don's relationship.  She and Melanie both indicate Alfred Hitchcock's treatment of Tippi was sexual harrassment, though.  I will admit I've read some of those Daily Mail stories before and they're not always the most accurate...

Edited by vicegirl85
added info
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Now this is getting ridiculous.:D It's gotten to the point where you can't even look at an attractive woman without being convicted of thought crime.

I agree.  Not only that but if a woman spends the time to make herself look beautiful how is a guy to compliment her without fear of being falsely accused of sexual harassment?  This nonsense with Twitter and Don has to be taken with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Eh, they're just trying to get attention/clicks with a bullshit twisted story. 

But there are a few people out there where I don't give a damn if they molested the Queen, I'd still be a fan for life.  Don Johnson is one of those people.

Also John Travolta who had allegations against him a month ago.

Innocent until proven guilty. Word of mouth isn't proof, anybody can be slandered about.

• Like 4

Well said James.

I have to tell a short story here.

Years ago when I was still teaching highschool, there was a guy who was blamed by a 15 yr old girl student at the school against this particular Geography teacher of inappropriate things. The guy denied it, but sadly he lost his job, his wife left him, his kids hate him and he is a pariah in a small town now only four blocks long. His wife left town but he stayed and lived a meager life in a small apartment above the hardware store.

Years later the girl, now 23, got arrested in a big city for car theft and was doing real time in a women's prison. That is where she revealed that she made the whole thing up about the teacher but now seven years later after ruining this guys life, career and marriage, all she could do was say "SORRY"

The people of that small town still shun this poor guy to this day even though he was proven innocent. He was tarred by a brush that does not wash off easily and since it is such a small town, the gossip as you can imagine was horrible.

• Like 3

Stinger390X, that is so sad--and so believable.  

Yes, there are pedophiles and all of us need to be alert and aware of our actions and those of people who have power and authority over others, especially children.  But at the same time, it can be extremely hard to prove one's innocence and a false accusation prompted by the desire for attention or money can ruin the life and reputation of an innocent person.  Instead of "innocent until proven guilty"  it seems that the current response is 'guilty unless proven innocent." 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

We can all appreciate the #metoo sentiment but if they're just going to lump everyone in with the actual rapists and pedophiles then what's the point?. Apparently 99% of men are sick, evil, women haters or they acted innapropriatly towards them within the last 30 years.

Lets reserve our hatred for people actually accused/convicted of sex crimes or sexual harassment. No need to pick on Don.:p

we are living a weird and sick era if you ask me. people bash other people in public for things they did 30 - 40 years ago. without even trying to see if the person regrets, or tried to change.  and what i find weird in the above story it's that Melanie got back with DJ during MV footage, which was later, and when she was an adult. i was a kid in the 80s so i don't know much about the 70s (too young), but i heard that dating teenagers was pretty common in that era, and not considered as bad at all

7 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Well said James.

I have to tell a short story here.

Years ago when I was still teaching highschool, there was a guy who was blamed by a 15 yr old girl student at the school against this particular Geography teacher of inappropriate things. The guy denied it, but sadly he lost his job, his wife left him, his kids hate him and he is a pariah in a small town now only four blocks long. His wife left town but he stayed and lived a meager life in a small apartment above the hardware store.

Years later the girl, now 23, got arrested in a big city for car theft and was doing real time in a women's prison. That is where she revealed that she made the whole thing up about the teacher but now seven years later after ruining this guys life, career and marriage, all she could do was say "SORRY"

The people of that small town still shun this poor guy to this day even though he was proven innocent. He was tarred by a brush that does not wash off easily and since it is such a small town, the gossip as you can imagine was horrible.

this is why i find behaviors like Ridley Scott towards K. Spacey despicable. in the name of what, a non-member of a jury give justice without having any piece of evidence of the file

3 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Stinger390X, that is so sad--and so believable.  

Yes, there are pedophiles and all of us need to be alert and aware of our actions and those of people who have power and authority over others, especially children.  But at the same time, it can be extremely hard to prove one's innocence and a false accusation prompted by the desire for attention or money can ruin the life and reputation of an innocent person.  Instead of "innocent until proven guilty"  it seems that the current response is 'guilty unless proven innocent." 

people doing public bashing don't realize their behavior can lead to suicide

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

we are living a weird and sick era if you ask me. people bash other people in public for things they did 30 - 40 years ago. without even trying to see if the person regrets, or tried to change.  and what i find weird in the above story it's that Melanie got back with DJ during MV footage, which was later, and when she was an adult. i was a kid in the 80s so i don't know much about the 70s (too young), but i heard that dating teenagers was pretty common in that era, and not considered as bad at all

this is why i find behaviors like Ridley Scott towards K. Spacey despicable. in the name of what, a non-member of a jury give justice without having any piece of evidence of the file

people doing public bashing don't realize their behavior can lead to suicide

I agree ! This is unacceptable particularly bringing DJ into it!

• Like 1

Just to return to the topic of age discrepancy in dating and the DJ-MG relationship in particular:  If my daughter at the age of 14-15 wanted to date a 22-23 year-old (let alone live with him), I would have been quite upset and not supportive of the relationship in my mind.    Regardless of chemistry and compatibility, I believe that younger teens don't have the life experience and judgment to enter into an intimate relationship like this.  Would I forbid them to see each other?  I don't think that's very productive because it leads to lying and sneaking around.  So it's a difficult balancing act for a parent.

Why is a 22-year-old guy even interested in this relationship?  I think if the guy is somewhat immature, the girl is attractive and he feels flattered by the her attention, it's understandable.  Additionally, DJ has said that Melanie was sophisticated and mature beyond her years and that he was very immature.  Growing up as the daughter of a Hollywood star, it's believable that she appeared more mature.  Based on his comments only (but they have never been denied by Melanie or Tippi), he felt that Tippi and her husband were supportive of his relationship with Melanie.  Keep in mind too, that the early 70s were a time when the birth control pill had become widely used and was a very reliable form of birth control, and HIV infection wasn't around.  Those two things removed many of the inhibitions to sexual activity--fear of pregnancy or incurable disease.  

When I was in high school (in the 70s) it wasn't unusual for girls to seriously date guys who were 2-6 years older.  In some states in the US, girls were allowed to marry at age 14 (I don't know if that's still the case).  8 years (the difference between DJ and MG) is quite a gap at that age, although the gap becomes less of a canyon as both parties get older.  I wouldn't see anything odd about a 22-year-old woman dating a 30-year-old man.  But I still feel a little uncomfortable with a young high-school girl dating a man over 21.  Everything I have ever seen about the DJ-MG relationship from its beginning suggests it was fully mutual and consensual, and that Tippi condoned it (whether she was truly happy about it or not).  

In other words, no pedophilia and no sexual predation occurred.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

If my daughter at the age of 14-15 wanted to date a 22-23 year-old (let alone live with him), I would have been quite upset and not supportive of the relationship in my mind.    Regardless of chemistry and compatibility, I believe that younger teens don't have the life experience and judgment to enter into an intimate relationship like this. 

Very true, and well said.

8 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

But I still feel a little uncomfortable with a young high-school girl dating a man over 21.  Everything I have ever seen about the DJ-MG relationship from its beginning suggests it was fully mutual and consensual, and that Tippi condoned it (whether she was truly happy about it or not).  

In other words, no pedophilia and no sexual predation occurred.

Separate from DJ and the laws at the time specifically (which I am no expert of), I think there is no such thing as "mutual and consensual" in today's society when it comes to a 14 year old girl and an adult. Even if the underage girl technically consented to the act, I believe is still considered statutory rape and corruption of a minor today.

• Like 1

I think you are correct and I agree.  I wasn't thinking of the legal meaning of "consensual" but of the intentions of each party at the time.  That said, I don't believe a 14-year-old has the maturity and ability to foresee the consequences of an action that true consensuality implies.   

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

in France the law allows 15 year old to have sex with 18+. but it's up to the adult to be sure there's no abuse by influence. if there's abuse by influence, you can get into serious trouble (prosecuted like criminal case)

• Administrators
11 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

When I was in high school (in the 70s) it wasn't unusual for girls to seriously date guys who were 2-6 years older. 

I think it's still normal. My Dad is older than my Mum by 4 years and they got married in 1986 or 7, and also my brother and his girlfriend are separated by 3 years.

• Like 2

I’m 4 years older than my wife. We have been friends all her life, but waited till she was 19 before we actually “dated” in 2003. We're still hanging in there! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 12/22/2017 at 3:04 PM, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

Very true, and well said.

Separate from DJ and the laws at the time specifically (which I am no expert of), I think there is no such thing as "mutual and consensual" in today's society when it comes to a 14 year old girl and an adult. Even if the underage girl technically consented to the act, I believe is still considered statutory rape and corruption of a minor today.

You're right. I knew  someone who had a brief affair with a  15 year old girl locally who was well known to have had many sexual relationships with all and sundry and this guy I knew  was jailed for 18 months.  That's the law in the UK anyway.

• 1 year later...

It's getting to the point that you can't even look at a 14-year-old child and admire her beauty?!  WTF.  Some sickos on this board for sure.  Seek help.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Lot of good posts here. Does anyone care that they were married? Twice!  It's no surprise that this crap showed up on twitter. Just another reminder of why I'm not on it!

I also agree with vicegirl85 that age difference becomes less of a concern as we get older.  Everything is relative.  I'm 14 years older than my wife. At 68 that's hardly worth mentioning.  Now if I were 21, would I have married her at 7 years of age? Of course not!  

I think most of the problems today relate to 1 thing.  People need to mind their own business!  So what say we get back to our business of discussing our favorite show and leave this garbage where it belongs. 

• Like 8

Did these twitter numpties criticize David Bowie, Elvis and Michael Jackson? doubt it.

Bowie is notorious for this, but like Elvis he made great music;)

Lets not go there eh.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Agree 100%   If I like their music or movies or TV show, then that's all I care about.   What they do in their private lives is exactly that, private.  

No matter what great inventions man creates, there is always someone to sink it to it's lowest level.   The true definition of social media!  One of the best / worst things ever created. 

• Like 3