Finally got my Testarossa!

ZAQ 178

2 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Not a chance I’m going to paint that area black and mess up a decent paint job lol. It’s going to have to due like it is. Yep, nightmare! Lol

instead of using paint, cut strips of black insulation tape (or any other semi-gloss black self-adhesive foil) to size and place them on the deflector panel between the strakes with a pair of tweezers.

ft9.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

instead of using paint, cut strips of black insulation tape (or any other semi-gloss black self-adhesive foil) to size and place them on the deflector panel between the strakes with a pair of tweezers.

ft9.jpg

Let me see what I can do! Thanx for the suggestion!

• Like 1

So, Testarossa wheels are silver. My MV Testarossa kit came with chrome wheels. Paint silver or leave chrome? I say silver. If silver I will leave center caps chrome like they should be?

56BC4519-4EC3-403B-9C81-7126584AF50D.jpeg

C6FDB2CA-24F2-4FF7-A90E-E078BE3E84C8.jpeg

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

So, Testarossa wheels are silver. My MV Testarossa kit came with chrome wheels. Paint silver or leave chrome? I say silver.

56BC4519-4EC3-403B-9C81-7126584AF50D.jpeg

definitely silver, unless you want it to somewhat look like the stunt car, which had deep dish chrome wheels:

stuntcar1_zpsb0177fc7.jpg

make sure to leave the wheel center hub caps chrome though:

miami-vice-testarossa-unterm-hammer.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

Getting closer to the finish line. Just ordered beigh/sand colored paint for the interior. Yes that includes doing the headliner & pillars that same color. Looking for the authentic Ferrari Testarossa/ Crockett’s Testarossa look. Dadrian, I’m ready for your Testarossa when you are. When I get the Daytona kit from you I want to built that one as the season 1 car w/ the correct headlight look, Corvette dash etc..

17E3918C-F9A6-48E4-9B97-BD74DCE9B676.jpeg

Edited by ZAQ 178

On 1/15/2018 at 1:21 PM, ZAQ 178 said:

Nice! Is yours a 10mm? I may buy the 10mm conversion kit for mine.

Yes, I have changed the recoil spring to 20lbs. and installed a flat bottom firing pin stop Henning sells to help the pistol handle 10MM ammo. Plus I never shoot "hot" 10MM ammo like some do. Nothing warmer than Winchester Silvertips. Col. Cooper never meant for the 10MM to be a magnum. He envision a 200gr. bullet at around 1000FPS which Norma didn't do. I think something was loss in translation. I have a Galco Jackass Shoulder Holster which does carry the weight of the pistol better than belt carry as the Witness is quiet a hunk of steel. For some reason, maybe balance, it feels so much heavier than a Colt 1911 even though they are both about the same weight.

• Like 1

Up next & lastly is the interior for the Testarossa. The MV Testarossa appears to have black carpet, black center console & dash, black lower half of the door panels from the armrests down w/ beigh/sand/tan color for everything else including headliner & pillars. Can anyone confirm this? These are a few photos from a google search. It says it’s the MV Testarossa.

C4D42CFE-BABB-4FD4-BDBD-AD8BC5807BD8.jpeg

99937E5D-190F-4AC4-BD7A-7E666FD80E9A.jpeg

7A34F3A7-F529-44C1-B0C1-433D2A1E0D40.jpeg

41 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Holy smokes! I hope you don;t have to paint all the interior. :evil:

I’m going to give it my best shot! I saved this for last but it will never have all the little details as it’s extremely difficult & in some cases near impossible to paint. I’m pretty good w/ model cars but that’s expert level lol.

• Administrators

Good grief....I wish you the best on that task. 

You must have the patients of a saint. I could never do that. 

• Like 1

Wow, well done Zaq!  When I start my Ferrari Daytona Spyder, your skills and attention to detail will put mine to shame!  I even bought the original model where the body is already black so it required less painting! :p

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ComplimentsofMrCalderone said:

Wow, well done Zaq!  When I start my Ferrari Daytona Spyder, your skills and attention to detail will put mine to shame!  I even bought the original model where the body is already black so it required less painting! :p

Thank you! I’ll trll you this, a few well cut paint brushes, some tooth pics & a sharp utility knife are a damn good start! Oh, & don’t forget patience & a steady hand!

F53AC58B-A34F-48FE-BC9B-C7B31EE79AC5.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok, so the MV Testarossa interior I pictured above has black carpeting. 

This photo I found is DJ getting out of it. Notice the sand/biegh/tan carpeting! I’m confused lol. I guess I’ll go w/ sand/beigh/tan color for carpeting.

BA5EE7A3-339E-4CE2-8968-A0CABD5C6BF1.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Ok, so the MV Testarossa interior I pictured above has black carpeting. 

This photo I found is DJ getting out of it. Notice the sand/biegh/tan carpeting! I’m confused lol. I guess I’ll go w/ sand/beigh/tan color for carpeting.

BA5EE7A3-339E-4CE2-8968-A0CABD5C6BF1.jpeg

I know they used two cars, one for show and one for stunt, so maybe that explains the inconsistency.. with the stunt version containing the black carpeting.

gallery-1436387944-vice-cutaway.jpg.403159584ec39cdf0a386a0df9aabe88.jpg

I believe the stunt car was a Pantera rebodied into a Testarossa which is easy to spot in the show. The MV car I posted the first time went to the Mecum auction and it shows black carpets. The pic w/ Sonny getting out of the Testarossa has tan carpets. I don’t believe they used 2 real Testarossas for the show. Interesting!

Edited by ZAQ 178

5 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I believe the stunt car was a Pantera rebodied into a Testarossa which is easy to spot in the show. The MV car I posted the first time went to the Mecum auction and it shows black carpets. The pic w/ Sonny getting out of the Testarossa has tan carpets. I don’t believe they used 2 real Testarossas for the show. Interesting!

Ah, it looks like they did have TWO real Testarossas for the show plus the Pantera stunt!  Per Popular Mechanics:

"When the new model Ferrari Testarossa came out, it was decided to update the Ferrari on "Vice" to the trick-looking new machine. Plus, the real Ferrari North American people got a little miffed that these fakos were getting so much attention. They offered to supply two real Ferrari Testarossas for the show. The Testarossa was Ferrari's latest model and one would be used regularly and one would be kept as a backup. The cars were supplied to the producers painted back, but when they didn't show up well in night scenes, they were later painted white. To create a car that would perform stunts, "Miami Vice" producers turned to the Robert Motors Co., which had specialized in safety-oriented stunt cars for the movie and TV industries.

Carl Roberts' assignment was to build a Testarossa look-alike that would be able to stand up to the rigors of stunt duty. In effect, Roberts was asked to build an automotive Thespian that would breath life and action into the show just as much as human players. Unlike the front-engined Daytonas, the Testarossa was a mid-engined car, so using a Corvette chassis as a starting point wouldn't work. The proportions of the car were wrong. So Roberts took a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera—a perfect car with 12,000 miles on the clock and a collector value of about $30,000—and chopped it apart.  Roberts designed Testarossa look-alike, fiberglass body panels working from pictures in a magazine, and parts he salvaged from a wrecked Testarossa. "

• Like 2

Nice! I appreciate that info! I guess it’s my choice as to what color I want the carpet in the model Testarossa now. Sand/tan/beigh it is w/ black dash & console.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

It was fun while it lasted but it over now! The Miami Vice Ferrari Testarossa is finished! I’m getting better!

12BD8B6C-AEB7-4A03-BE5A-9717CC851536.jpeg

CAE4CAF7-341B-44C4-85E3-A33D0A64F10F.jpeg

D657F64E-30C9-499B-9120-CC90ADA7C196.jpeg

39CD6824-2A54-481A-BC6D-E4AA7B330ED8.jpeg

E5D4F121-32FD-49CB-A194-8200C4714377.jpeg

5C4C7A2F-EC43-4F39-A7B7-EF6FAE48E309.jpeg

67DD971C-79D9-4F25-B69A-2F40FFC2994A.jpeg

6F0CCA4E-4654-41BD-B6CD-B684E67A24BF.jpeg

E82ECC39-2C4D-462E-A394-573606EDA9D8.jpeg

Great, great job Zaq!  Nice work!  You certainly made a beauty!

And thanks for sharing your progress with us. I'm looking forward to doing the same with my Spyder!

• Like 1