Miami Vice screenshot found in GTA Vice City

Assasinge

You won't believe this but I just came across this:

I'm sure all of you recognize this chase/race from one of the Miami Vice episodes. Well I was rewatching the Vice City intro and saw a direct resemblance between one of the art styles and this particular screenshot from a MV episode! How cool is that?

latest.jpg

• Like 4

I believe this is the chase scene in Bought and Paid For, where Crockett is chasing Arroyo after he was seen at Gina’s, after raping Odette.

Awesome episode, but I hate GTA!! It’s garbage! :thumbsdown:  Sorry something from MV was used or copied in it.  ;(

Good eye! We discussed this somewhere on here years ago. There are just too many blatant MV and Scarface references in that game to keep track of—one of the greatest video games ever IMO. 

• Administrators

Yep, this has been discussed multiple times over the years. 

Makes me wonder if Leslie Benzies was the "Miami Vice" guy in the office, but now due to the Houser's ripping him off and not paying what he's owed, he's gone off to do his own project called "Everywhere". So it's possible that all the Miami Vice references which have been in every GTA game since Vice City, might be at their end.

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I believe this is the chase scene in Bought and Paid For, where Crockett is chasing Arroyo after he was seen at Gina’s, after raping Odette.

Awesome episode, but I hate GTA!! It’s garbage! :thumbsdown:  Sorry something from MV was used or copied in it.  ;(

Well sorry to hear about your dislike for the series. If you mean GTA V is crappy then yeah, I agree. But Vice City is pretty good, to me at least. Probably because I'm a big 80s fan lol

• Like 1

as a GTA player i knew that Vice city was heavily Miami/Miami vice inspired but i never noticed that that intro was clearly a screenshot from the series. yeah GTA online looks a lot to a trolls world right now. but did you try to play in solo with a modded game. modders are very creative and possibilities are almost endless (a guy even recreated Vice city in GTAV engine). if you mod your game be sure to never play online with a modified game of you'll get banned

On 1/2/2018 at 7:12 AM, Assasinge said:

Well sorry to hear about your dislike for the series. If you mean GTA V is crappy then yeah, I agree. But Vice City is pretty good, to me at least. Probably because I'm a big 80s fan lol

I haven't seen all of them played before, this is true...but the ones I have it was nothing but graphic violence, killing/attacking/raping anyone to get their money/cars/whatever, sex & perversion with stuff they don't allow in movies (unless they're NC17 or X-rated), and more foul language than most R-rated movies even have. It wasn't cool or stylish...it was just garbage! :evil:  However, I have not seen Vice City played before...maybe it isn't as bad?? But, even with the 80s and/or Miami Vice odes thrown in...if it is anything like the ones I have seen, I still wouldn't like it.

Edited by ViceFanMan

• Administrators

GTA has never had any raping. And the "sex" in GTA is PG compared to the stuff on TV nowadays. 

Yes, there is a lot of killing, but it's a "shoot 'em up" style game. It would be boring if there wasn't any gameplay. But the story telling is some of the best in any video game. In my opinion GTA Vice City and GTA IV have the best stories of the series.

And hey, in Miami Vice they shot people in pretty much every episode. If you think of each "mission" as an episode, it's no different. :p 

Maybe you played Saints Row, idk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

GTA has never had any raping. And the "sex" in GTA is PG compared to the stuff on TV nowadays. 

Yes, there is a lot of killing, but it's a "shoot 'em up" style game. It would be boring if there wasn't any gameplay. But the story telling is some of the best in any video game. In my opinion GTA Vice City and GTA IV have the best stories of the series.

And hey, in Miami Vice they shot people in pretty much every episode. If you think of each "mission" as an episode, it's no different. :p 

Maybe you played Saints Row, idk. 

I don't remember which one I saw played...but it had thug characters you played raping and/or murdering prostitutes to steal their money, as well as you can just kill or attack anyone to take whatever you want. It's a lot of graphic violence that's "glorified"...as you're the bad guy and it's cool to do all this stuff, not the good guys trying to stop it. The language used is not what is allowed on TV nowadays...although cussing is allowed more now, they still don't allow the F-bomb or GD-bombs...yet.

In Miami Vice there was violence, people were raped, and got shot...yes. But, it was not shown in graphic detail that was glorified...it was meant to be violent, tragic, and something that was to be rectified or stopped--aka Crockett and Tubbs & the Vice team. MV focused more on style, fashion, and music than violence and perversion anyway. ;) It had class and even substance, so-to-speak. The GTA I saw was just graphic, perverted, crap!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Good post James

@ ViceFanMan: GTA is an American society parody. i really don't know where you saw a rape in that game. i mean, i played them a lot and never saw not even one. as James said this isn't worst than a criminal case documentary. i mean if you're shocked by such things it's that you're living in a cave (no offense). maybe you mistake with another game of the company called manhunt, which itself is a particular game, and extremelly violent

12 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I don't remember which one I saw played...but it had thug characters you played raping and/or murdering prostitutes to steal their money, as well as you can just kill or attack anyone to take whatever you want. It's a lot of graphic violence that's "glorified"...as you're the bad guy and it's cool to do all this stuff, not the good guys trying to stop it. The language used is not what is allowed on TV nowadays...although cussing is allowed more now, they still don't allow the F-bomb or GD-bombs...yet.

In Miami Vice there was violence, people were raped, and got shot...yes. But, it was not shown in graphic detail that was glorified...it was meant to be violent, tragic, and something that was to be rectified or stopped--aka Crockett and Tubbs & the Vice team. MV focused more on style, fashion, and music than violence and perversion anyway. ;) It had class and even substance, so-to-speak. The GTA I saw was just graphic, perverted, crap!

This is interesting to read. Could you point me to this game where all of this content is shown in excess, graphic detail? If you're talking about GTA V, I don't think even V has any rape scenes of any sort, and if there are it certainly isn't shown in graphic detail. And Saints Row games don't have this much graphic detail either. So what game could you possibly have picked up that goes beyond the violence of GTA? Was it a modded one maybe? And in GTA V and IV I do believe the F Bombs are dropped. And you sound pissed at being the bad guy. Well if that's the case, a game like LA Noire might be better for you, or download the LCPDFR mod where you can play as cops, I suppose.

Little confused here. Nothing you describe above in graphic detail exists in Vice City too, just so you know. And darn, you haven't played Vice City? Missin' out on some 80s feels man! Lol

Edited by Assasinge

58 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

This is interesting to read. Could you point me to this game where all of this content is shown in excess, graphic detail? If you're talking about GTA V, I don't think even V has any rape scenes of any sort, and if there are it certainly isn't shown in graphic detail. And Saints Row games don't have this much graphic detail either. So what game could you possibly have picked up that goes beyond the violence of GTA? Was it a modded one maybe? And in GTA V and IV I do believe the F Bombs are dropped. And you sound pissed at being the bad guy. Well if that's the case, a game like LA Noire might be better for you, or download the LCPDFR mod where you can play as cops, I suppose.

Little confused here. Nothing you describe above in graphic detail exists in Vice City too, just so you know. And darn, you haven't played Vice City? Missin' out on some 80s feels man! Lol

I'm not a big GTA fan but I do love Vice City. Also love Scarface:The World Is Yours.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jpm1 said:

Good post James

@ ViceFanMan: GTA is an American society parody. i really don't know where you saw a rape in that game. i mean, i played them a lot and never saw not even one. as James said this isn't worst than a criminal case documentary. i mean if you're shocked by such things it's that you're living in a cave (no offense). maybe you mistake with another game of the company called manhunt, which itself is a particular game, and extremelly violent

No, it was one of the GTAs. Just because society glorifies the violence and perversion doesn’t make it good or right. Lots of shows or crime documentaries have covered or discussed these issues...that’s true. But again they were not glorifying them, or making them fun or cool! They portrayed them as they were/are—sick, horrifying, and tragic. GTA does the opposite. 

Just because society, video games (such as GTA), or TV, movies, social media, etc...continually show graphic violence, killing, or nudity doesn’t mean I’m going to suddenly think it’s all no big deal. I may have to work at it sometimes, but I refuse to become desensitized. The day you’re not shocked or saddened by that kind of behavior or those actions is the day you better head back to the proverbial “cave”...you’ve been associating with the ‘animals’ too long! :eek:

However, as I stated before I have not seen Vice City played, so maybe it’s not that bad and I probably would like the 80s style or odes to that decade.  :cool: But, if the characters only speak in cuss words that’d get old. Believe it or not I can speak a sentence without a cuss word or taking God’s name in vain. :p

Edited by ViceFanMan

i'am among the ones that always asked for less criminality in GTA on the forums, or at least with more life sim content ;). when i play GTA i never do missions, i just mod the game, and play the way i want. if i do missions it's only once, to know the story background, or to unlock special features (discotheques..). i play GTA because right know it's the only descent mod friendly open world out there. this been said, i do not reject in block violence in the game, for several reasons. first i find interesting seing the criminal journey of a person, it can help understand his psycology, and second i think it can be good on a freedom level. you can go criminal, or choose not. but if there's no criminality, there's no choice. GTA was born criminal (90s), so you need to keep in mind this before judging it. i mean things can't change in a fingers snap. if you don't play GTA you can't see neither lot of allusions to the disavantages of the criminal world (bank robber saying he deeply regrets his school years, same guy saying to his partners that if they choose to do the heist it may end up into a slaughter for them, bank robbers that became FBI agents, guy that tortures another guy and when it's time to finish him, he helps him flee away, and many others...)

Edited by jpm1

It's hard to explain without someone playing the games for themselves. There's plenty of "entertainment" out there that is grotesque and morally repugnant but the GTA games have always been in good fun Imo. You never get the sense of mean spiritedness that pervades a lot of similar stuff.

The PS2 era games are especially cartoony looking. Yeah you can do things like pay hookers but there's no nudity, all you see is the car humorously bounce up and down. You can chop a person's head off with a Katana and a comically large blood squirt shoots from the victims neck like something out of a Tarantino flick. etc

It sounds odd writing this but I think there does seem to be a difference between movie/game violence and real violence. I remember seeing a clip of a suicide bomber attack shown on BBC news. Now THAT shocked me. Violent movies/games haven't desensitised me to real world atrocities...(yet anyway.)

On 1/2/2018 at 2:10 AM, Assasinge said:

You won't believe this but I just came across this:

I'm sure all of you recognize this chase/race from one of the Miami Vice episodes. Well I was rewatching the Vice City intro and saw a direct resemblance between one of the art styles and this particular screenshot from a MV episode! How cool is that?

latest.jpg

Nice ! thankyou for posting:fireworks:

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 6:00 PM, jpm1 said:

i'am among the ones that always asked for less criminality in GTA on the forums, or at least with more life sim content ;). when i play GTA i never do missions, i just mod the game, and play the way i want. if i do missions it's only once, to know the story background, or to unlock special features (discotheques..). i play GTA because right know it's the only descent mod friendly open world out there. this been said, i do not reject in block violence in the game, for several reasons. first i find interesting seing the criminal journey of a person, it can help understand his psycology, and second i think it can be good on a freedom level. you can go criminal, or choose not. but if there's no criminality, there's no choice. GTA was born criminal (90s), so you need to keep in mind this before judging it. i mean things can't change in a fingers snap. if you don't play GTA you can't see neither lot of allusions to the disavantages of the criminal world (bank robber saying he deeply regrets his school years, same guy saying to his partners that if they choose to do the heist it may end up into a slaughter for them, bank robbers that became FBI agents, guy that tortures another guy and when it's time to finish him, he helps him flee away, and many others...)

There possibly are ways to go criminal or not...I’ve not seen every GTA, or mission, played. But what I have seen played was deplorable! It didn’t help show a person’s “psychology”...it basically gave the one playing it freedom to be as violent and perverted as they wanted, in order to get whatever they wanted, with no consequences or even thought about the ramifications on what they’d done in mind.  

I am fascinated by what makes a person turn to crime, and/or a person’s psyche. I love crime shows and documentaries about it...but again most of those don’t glorify the crimes. They’re more about showing the horrible tragedy and destruction crime & violence bring. Most of those don’t have the main characters shooting, attacking/killing anyone/everyone just to steal their car/money while trying to fit 5 F-bombs into a 3-word sentence either. :p

There probably are some versions or missions of GTA that are not as bad as some...but what I saw was pretty sad and sick. I’m sure we’ll disagree...but (using MV as an analogy) GTA to me switches the ‘Crockett & Tubbs’ and ‘crime’ sides—and suddenly it’s cool to be the criminal and you’re out to kill the cops and whoever else gets in your way and/or you decide to if it seems fun or it gains you something. 

22 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

..., in order to get whatever they wanted, with no consequences or even thought about the ramifications on what they’d done in mind. 

what are you talking about. do you seriously think people that play GTA will try to reproduce what they've done in game in real life. for info lot of real policemen play GTA. their community is among the most active ones. so i really don't think that game is that 'horrible'

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, James said:

We don't like arguments on this forum, so can we wrap it up sometime soon?

Beat me to it James.   We're arguing about a video game people. Wrap it up or I will.

No offense to anyone, but when I read this thread it seems like less of an argument and more of a spirited debate. But that is just me. :D

Now personally, I can see both sides of this. I can see people with solid moral compasses having a blast with these games, but also see the other side of the coin where a game like this can glorify violence to impressionable young minds who do not have a strong moral structure at home.

Just search them. There are a lot of YouTube GTA videos dedicated to pushing hikers to their death off cliffs, having sex with hookers and killing them afterwards, running over people with cars, etc. etc..  Compile that with there are a lot of poor communities that have kids in gangs with little respect for human life.  I can't see games where you can do what I described, helping the prevention of more young impressionable minds getting lost. But is that the game's fault, or the parents? Maybe the answer is somehow keeping Mature games out of the hands of minors, but that seems like an insurmountable task.

It's not an easy subject, and I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do see truth on both sides here... for what it's worth. :cheers:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Beat me to it James.   We're arguing about a video game people. Wrap it up or I will.

13 hours ago, Assasinge said:

All I wanted to do was show a cool Miami Vice reference in a game. Not start an argument :(

Assasinge—You did!! The reference was cool, and it’s interesting & awesome that not only does modern media still have references to MV, but it literally re-created  a screenshot from an actual episode! :thumbsup: 

My intentions were never to start an actual “argument”, nor cause anger or hurt feelings. ;) I just stated my thoughts and opinions on the game, and why. I work with troubled kids/teens, and know how GTA has impacted their views and minds.

But yes, the views have been stated more than once, so for my part in (without realizing it until I was already doing it) “beating a dead horse”, I apologize. :cheers:  

• Like 1