February 2018

Merely

Flying to Miami from Boston! My second time there.

If it's no trouble, I would like to know of any really great Vice locations I can get to by walking, near Ocean Drive. I'll only be there until the 24th, and I wish I had more time to do a real tour.

I once did a movie tour with a friend, of The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, the 1975 movie. Springfield Massachusetts area. It was  blast and I hit the highlights., which was fun, if you've ever seen it. It's part of a series of dreamlike flashbacks. Chilling stuff!

563954_453309214711475_318397999_n.jpg

• Like 1

There are a zillion Vice locations in walking distance along Ocean Drive, Collins Ave, and Washington Ave.  My first piece of advice is to think about if there were certain episodes or scenes that really resonated with you.  You might have certain locations that you really want to see. Also, in my most recent visit before I left home I watched the scenes of locations I planned to visit so they would be fresh in my mind.

As mentioned in the other thread,  this is the main resource:  http://www.miamivicelocations.org

Restaurants/bars:  http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12738-miami-restaurants-bars/

Ocean Drive hotels:

• To me the best Ocean Drive scene is the No Exit teaser.  The team is set up at both corners of Ocean & 14th, in the Winterhaven and in another building.  The Bushido teaser is also at the Winterhaven.  The public bathroom in this scene has been demolished and replaced.
  • The Carlyle at 1250 Ocean Dr was used in Brother's Keeper, Back in the World, One Eyed Jack.
  • The Victor Hotel at 1144 Ocean Dr was used in Cool Running, Junk Love, Phil the Shill, Little Miss Dangerous, Heroes of the Revolution.
  • The Park Central at 640 Ocean Dr was used in The Savage, Death and the Lady, Asian Cut.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, AirTommy. It's crunch time. Leaving the 21st and want to put an itinerary together. Even a small one. Great idea about favorite episodes. 
I'll be back here before I go, but will try and post some relevant pics when there. 

Off to explore the topic for ideas again while listening to Hammers "Escape From Television." :) 

Oh, yes, staying 2 nights right on Ocean Drive! 

Also, copied and posted to a notepad I will be referring to, your Ocean Drive hotel scenes! I'll be at every one of them.

Edited by Merely
Addition
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Merely said:

Thanks, AirTommy. It's crunch time. Leaving the 21st and want to put an itinerary together. Even a small one. Great idea about favorite episodes. 
I'll be back here before I go, but will try and post some relevant pics when there.

Other than Ocean Drive, the most important places to visit:

• start at Espanola Way & Collins and visit Senor Frog's, then go west on Espanola to Washington to see the Clay Hotel, then see the block of Espanola between Washington and Drexel - used MANY times before and after it was painted pink (Cool Runnin, Give a Little, Borrasca, Freefall,
  • Post Office at Washington & 13th (El Viejo, Down For the Count)
  • Lincoln Road between Washington and Alton

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

Thanks! Making notes!

Trying to think of a really good episode to rewatch that I haven't seen lately. Was thinking Freefall but I watched that one last month. Happy to see Ian McShane in one of his appearances. 

Villa Casa Casuarina at Ocean & 11th -  Versace murder, Leon's place in Brother's Keeper

(farther away) Gina's apartment 1205 Meridian Ave, Zito's apartment 734 10th St

• Like 2

The Scarface chainsaw apartment is right on Ocean Dr., too. Idk if you’re a fan, though ha. It looks kind of different at night here from 2016

ED3E4D6E-428D-44C6-B3CA-47F8C985041B.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

The Scarface chainsaw apartment is right on Ocean Dr., too. Idk if you’re a fan, though ha. It looks kind of different at night here from 2016

Really? Wow!   For some reason I thought that was long gone, so I've never even bothered to look for it.  Google tells me it's at 728 Ocean.  It's being converted into a CVS Pharmacy, which honors its Scarface heritage in a way.   :)

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/scarfaces-chainsaw-scene-location-on-ocean-drive-is-turning-into-a-cvs-9275818

• Like 3

I think I missed these posts! Oh for sure and definitely. I already checked out the YouTube video where a guy went up the stairway to the graffiti covered door. I plan on trying that myself hopefully with a live Facebook feed. It's right behind the Johnny Rockets.

If I'm never heard from again, you'll know why!

Definitely hitting up Versace's again. I've been watching American Crime Story (tonight at 10) and already have a few Andrew Cunanan hot spots as well.

Confused about how to quote posts, so, airtommy, just watched Back in the World, as one of your suggestions and I think I missed that back when it aired and hadn't seen it. Or forgot it.

Really liked The Doors music all through it. Enjoyed the brief appearance by Johnson's ex Patti D. I could imagine her really yelling at him that way, thus their divorce. ;)

Second time I saw Iman in an episode. Other time she was a "he."

Few pics:

Screen Shot 02-14-18 at 09.00 PM 006.JPG

Screen Shot 02-14-18 at 09.00 PM 004.JPG

Screen Shot 02-14-18 at 09.00 PM 003.JPG

Screen Shot 02-14-18 at 09.02 PM 001.JPG

• Like 3

Yes, Dadrian! I meant to post to you about Scarface. Just read that link from airtommy and I guess it may be under construction already. Didn't know about those protests and the need for DePalma to move shooting out of SoBe. Interesting!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Click on the Quote button at the bottom. If you multi-quote, click on the yellow plus next to it first and then click on quote for the second quote to quote. 

Don't quote me on this though! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2018 at 9:33 PM, airtommy said:

On 2/13/2018 at 1:12 AM, airtommy said:

On 2/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, timm525 said:

Click on the Quote button at the bottom. If you multi-quote, click on the yellow plus next to it first and then click on quote for the second quote to quote. 

Don't quote me on this though! :)

Ahhhhh thank you! I was only clicking the first part of the quote, so it just hung there in cyberspace waiting for me to not be a dingus. Although, now I see the other 2 quotes I clicked from last night are there and I am not clear on how to remove them. Only move them? Ugh. Broads. Posting 101.

Edited by Merely
Well, I almost did it right. Can only hit backspace not delete?
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Merely said:

Although, now I see the other 2 quotes I clicked from last night are there and I am not clear on how to remove them. Only move them?

Put the cursor in front of the quote and hit [delete] or put the cursor behind the quote and hit [backspace].

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in. Will post more later. Have a couple of fun pics from The Carlyle. But for now, wanted to share a kind of neat picture I had no idea about until the tour guide told me. 

The house from No Exit viewed from the cruise. He didn't know the title, but he said Bruce Willis so that's all I needed to know. 

• Like 2

Tried to post that last week. Am back from Miami now but lost power in n'or easter. Will put up a few cool pics when power is restored! 

• Like 1

Oh man this is great! I’m driving from the Boston area to Miami, staying at the Carlyle for 2 nights at end of May. Good timing on this post!

• Like 2

On 3/5/2018 at 3:57 PM, Merely said:

Just checking in. Will post more later. Have a couple of fun pics from The Carlyle. But for now, wanted to share a kind of neat picture I had no idea about until the tour guide told me. 

The house from No Exit viewed from the cruise. He didn't know the title, but he said Bruce Willis so that's all I needed to know. 

I don't see a picture in your post. 

• Like 1

Few more random ones and that's it (Other than the reenactment thread I started elsewhere) 

Brought my car to put on the sidewalk, but settled for the hotel nightstand 

20180225_120614.jpg

20180223_101152.jpg

20180225_120410.jpg

20180222_215627.jpg

Edited by Merely
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Oh man this is great! I’m driving from the Boston area to Miami, staying at the Carlyle for 2 nights at end of May. Good timing on this post!

Do a reenactment! LOL 

I wanted to walk down the steps like the girls in bikinis, but there are like 500 tables on the sidewalk there now. Umpossible.

Screen Shot 03-09-18 at 12.07 PM.JPG

Screen Shot 03-09-18 at 12.03 PM.JPG

Edited by Merely
Addendum
  • Like 6