Anyone Seen This DJ Movie?

Frey

Right now (just after 8PM on the east coast USA) there's a movie on the Independent Film Channel with DJ,Virginia Madsen, and Jennifer Connelly called "The Hot Spot." DJ plays an arsonist. It's re-airing later tonight (after 2AM EST).

Yeah' date=' he made it just after vice ended I think. Its ok but not as good as dead bang[/quote']Kind of figured that. It was made in '89.

Directed by Dennis Hopper. DJ looks incredible in the movie. It was supposed to be "film noir" type movie. I agree, Dead Bang was better.

I saw it when it played on showtime around 1991. Decent movie. Yes, film-noir type. I noticed it playing too. i would love to see it again.

I'm gonna have to be the controversial one here because "The Hot Spot" is actually my favourite DJ film, and I preferred it to "Dead Bang". I'll admit though that I last saw Dead Bang about 19 years ago, so I could do with watching it again.Dennis Hopper once said that "The Hot Spot" was DJ's best performance in anything he'd done so far, and I have to agree.

Hot Spot - I like it. - Missed itI love Hot Spot. I'm sorry I missed it although I do have this on DVD along with Dead Bang. I like Dead Bang too. It depends on my mood about which one I like better. Some times I like Hot Spot better because it's such an intense performance and Yeah DJ looks good in that movie. Also the maniuplations between the Characters played by: William Sadler, DJ, Virgiian Madsen and Jennifer Connoly always intrigues me. Also although it's not in the class of the Vice episode of Definitely Miami, it does have that need to drink something cold when I watch it because the movie is so hot although I believe the title is a play on words. It's a hot spot for many reasons the temperture in the town, the Hot goings one, & the Fire. For people that aren't entertained enough with character study or watching, or comparison to the book it's based on, it can be a little slow and drawn out.Dead Bang on the other hand, I like but DJ doesn't look his best in that because of the character he's playing. It does have more action and some memorable scenes which makes me like to watch it every so often. The whole White supremacy thing is interesting and again character relation ships. Although this movie is based on a real guy it does remind me of circumstances encountered in Vice. 5th season Victim of Circumstances - the whole White Supremacy issue. But one of my favorite scenes in Dead Bang is the scene where DJ tells the psychiatrist he looks like Woody Allen and is cracking up, then just as suddenly he turns from genial to almost psychotic threatening the psychiatrist. I always love the last scene in Dead Bang. I recommend both of the movies.

DJ played the role of Harry Maddox very well because the character was very well defined and complex, and DJ pulled this off. For example, Maddox had a sleazy, amoral aspect to his personality (sleeping with the boss's wife, robbing the bank), but despite all this he wasn't a cold person, and you could feel that he genuinely loved Gloria Harper. He was clearly remorseful about the fact that he shot and killed Frank Sutton, despite the fact that Sutton was a lowlife. But he was calculating enough to make the murder look like a homicide anyway, and smart enough to get away with both the murder (and by pinning it on Sutton), the robbery. I won't spoil it further for anyone who's not seen the film but I thought the ending is very cleverly done as Maddox quite rightly summarises "I've finally found my level", having realised that he's not as smart as he thought. I also love the laid back, smouldering feel of the film, which reflects DJ's on screen persona.What confused me was when the film was supposed to actually have been set. The clothes and cars looked like they were out of the 1950's, but when Maddox visits the strip club, the decor and music are very 80's? I guess the film was supposed to be set in the present day in a very backward town!In summary "The Hot Spot" isn't just my favourite DJ film, it's one of my favourite films full stop.

• 7 months later...
I'm gonna have to be the controversial one here because "The Hot Spot" is actually my favourite DJ film' date=' and I preferred it to "Dead Bang". I'll admit though that I last saw Dead Bang about 19 years ago, so I could do with watching it again.Dennis Hopper once said that "The Hot Spot" was DJ's best performance in anything he'd done so far, and I have to agree.[/quote']I agree too, Dead bang is a great movie but The Hot Spot is excellent

I've seen it, and I do love it! :thumbsup: Even though film noir isn't particularly my favourite movie type, I really like this story. Of course, seeing DJ does no harm to me either... ;) And his acting was good all right - I think he is particularly efficient in playing such contradictory characters, which have a complicated mixture of good and evil inside them. As for "the best performance ever" - it's funny how often I've read such statements concerning different movies. And many of them sounded like:"I've never thought much of DJ as an actor, used to think he was no more than a cute face, etc, etc, but in THIS particular film - oh, he was so amazing..." If you sum up all this it seems like almost his every role is THE best (or the only one) on someone's opinion... LOL

• 8 months later...