Live performances from Heartbeat/Let It Roll?

Lar

I've been wondering about this lately, did DJ do any kind of live performances in support of Heartbeat and/or Let It Roll? (I had previously thought DJ performed "Let It Roll" on SNL, but Little Feat was musical guest that night, and apparently they have a song by that title as well).I don't think he went on any kind of tours (to the best of my knowledge), but he had to perform a song or two live somewhere, right? I'm not seeing anything on Youtube (except a lot of "Don Johnson Big Band" stuff). Anyone have any knowledge on this subject? If Bruce Willis could bust out a live performance ot two, why not Don?

somewhere, right? I'm not seeing anything on Youtube (except a lot of "Don Johnson Big Band" stuff). Anyone have any knowledge on this subject? If Bruce Willis could bust out a live performance ot two, why not Don?

Hey Lar I was thinking exactly the same thing. Surely you would have thought there would have been an appearance on of the the late night type shows that were popular at the time. Didn't "Heartbeat" make the Bill Board top 10 ?

Not sure of Heartbeat's charting (the single or the album), but I know the album sold over a million copies. Regardless of what one thinks of the music, it was a successful album. Given that, I'd think DJ would have busted out a song or two on some occasion.EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the album hit #17 on Billboard 200, and the title track peaked at #5 on the Hot 100. The album was certified gold in 1986.

wtf?!in my search i came across thisi think ( and truely hope) this is some kind of practical jokeits a bad one!who's italian in here? please translate!

Heartbeat

Not sure of Heartbeat's charting (the single or the album)' date=' but I know the album sold over a million copies. Regardless of what one thinks of the music, it was a successful album. Given that, I'd think DJ would have busted out a song or two on some occasion.EDIT: According to Wikipedia, the album hit #17 on Billboard 200, and the title track peaked at #5 on the Hot 100. The album was certified gold in 1986.[/quote']Recently VH1 Classic did the top 100 one hit wonders of the 80's as voted on by viewers (This was a recent 2009 vote not the 2002 or 2006 vote) Heartbeat made #58. They also mentioned the long video of it although they got the synopsis a little wrong.

Recently VH1 Classic did the top 100 one hit wonders of the 80's as voted on by viewers (This was a recent 2009 vote not the 2002 or 2006 vote) Heartbeat made #58. They also mentioned the long video of it although they got the synopsis a little wrong.

No kidding! I caught some of the first installment the other day, but not any of the others (I'm glad they've done this new vote, they played the older ones, at least the 2006 one, ad nauseum). You just know VH1 Classic will continuously air the specials, I'll be sure to tape the one conatining #58.

• 3 weeks later...

on imdb it says this;"MTV Video Music Awards 1986 (1986) (TV) .... Himself - Performer"does anyone remembers this?

on imdb it says this;"MTV Video Music Awards 1986 (1986) (TV) .... Himself - Performer"does anyone remembers this?
I have a listing of the '86 MTV Video Awards performers' date=' and DJ is not on it.But there is this:[i']"The 1986 MTV Video Music Awards aired live on September 5, 1986, honoring the best music videos from May 2, 1985 to May 1, 1986. The show was hosted by MTV VJs Downtown Julie Brown, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, Martha Quinn, and Dweezil Zappa, and it emanated primarily from both The Palladium in New York City and the Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles. Other parts of the show, however, took place in various locations such as London, Miami, Florida..."Could there have been a Miami segment with DJ, but not as a performer? This seems the most likely scenario.

• 9 months later...

As far as I know he never gave a concert all by himself but he did perform on stage. I found some pictures of that; the first one is with Bonnie Raitt, he surprised her for her birthday according to the magazine. The other one is with Richard Marx. The article says he surprised him at his concert and they sang "right here waiting" together...

post-934-13892963078511_thumb.jpg

post-934-13892963078682_thumb.jpg

Not to mention "Allman Brothers" band. He told in some of his interviews that he had toured with them, just as a friend at first, but one day Gregg Allman introduced him to the public and pushed ahead to sing a song. :):clap: This happened before "Miami Vice", but I've seen a picture of him singing with the Allman Brothers at his "MV season 3" age too.Well, it doesn't really concern his own albums, though.

I have tons of DJ video interviews, etc. from here in the U.S., but as far as I know, he never performed any of the music from his albums live.

The long version of the "Heartbeat" vid is still one of my favs. The disappearing girl is interesting and his stage outfit is so funky, it's an 80's icon in and of itself! He did have an impressive tenor range. He reaches some high notes for a male singer, without switching to falsetto.... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29w06_don-johnson-heartbeat_music

I have tons of DJ video interviews' date=' etc. from here in the U.S., but as far as I know, he never performed any of the music from his albums live.[/quote']He did!!!!! In a german TV Show in 1989 he performed "Tell it like it is"!!!!It is possible to buy the video - and someday i will do this, but it's expensive. The price for the hole video is € 45,00 / nearly $55,00. And "the DJ-Time" is only one song and a few minutes interview.But i think i do it during the next few month... :D:happy:(i hope you understand this..):o

He did!!!!! In a german TV Show in 1989 he performed "Tell it like it is"!!!!It is possible to buy the video - and someday i will do this' date=' but it's expensive. The price for the hole video is € 45,00 / nearly $55,00. And "the DJ-Time" is only one song and a few minutes interview.But i think i do it during the next few month... :D:happy:(i hope you understand this..):o[/quote']Wow, this is cool! :glossy: I guess you have seen the video before?

I've read somewhere several years ago that DJ was going to record a new album... but unfortunately it never happened. :cry: Of course his voice may be not as great now as in his younger days, but I think it must be okay since he sang in "Guys and Dolls" musical in 2007. *a deep sad sigh*

Wow' date=' this is cool! :glossy: I guess you have seen the video before?[/quote']Yes - in 1989 I watched the show.But i can't remember everything - only the performence was great - but the interview was not so good - that's not Don's problem - the showmaster was not so good. I remember Don seat there and looked like he's wondering what he do there....But I know - i must buy the video - i must have some of this not so often live performence..... :D:D

• 5 months later...

Now I bought a DVD with this German TV show from 1989!! Don performed "Tell it like it is" and talked with the showmaster.I love this video very very much. Because I can't remember I saw an other live performence! (in Germany)So believe me, I'm very happy now! :happy::happy::happy:

Here's something a little interesting regarding DJ and Richard Marx.It's in the comments for this Yourube vid:

This looks like what was suppose to be an HBO special we shot at the Palace in Hollywood. Members of the Eagles were there also. Funny thing happened during the last medly of songs that, I believe, dropped the special. Don Johnson who was very drunk ran out on stage and sang most of the last song out of key.  It was performed live on a Friday night with a live audiance and Saturday morning it was sinked for the dolly shots. This brought back a blast from my past. It was a great show though.

Yes, I'm going hunting for this show right now.