JAN HAMMER BOWL!

COOPER&BURNETT

• 3 months later...

McCormick's Garlic Powder? Echhh.Not even the Jan Hammer Bowl could save a dish with that sawdust in it.Just watch Goodfellas, and you will get the idea how to add the garlic to an Italian dish. Thin slices fried in olive oil, and then add the pasta sauce to that mixture. Yum. Must have been a prop man that added that to the dinner table - and he couldn't have been Italian.

• Administrators

As I recall Lombard told Tubbs "when I send you to the store to buy garlic, you buy real garlic cloves, not a bottle."I think that is why the bottle was on the table.{Or something close to that}

• Administrators

Yeah that's exactly why it was there. The fact that Rico bought a jar of garlic powder instead of real garlic allowed Lombard to make the comparison to his son who is too educated to understand old world customs such as cooking with real garlic.

• Administrators

Bread. No real Italian can eat a bowl of pasta without it!

I've already written somewhere on this respectable board that Lombard's vermicelli look disgusting. I wouldn't eat them, not even under torture! The vermicelli appear to have meatballs in them, which is a typical southern Italy recipe. I personally don't like it very much.Now for the garlic.

Goodfellas" data-date=" and you will get the idea how to add the garlic to an Italian dish. Thin slices fried in olive oil, and then add the pasta sauce to that mixture. Yum. [/QUOTE">

It's correct, but there's another recipe which is even better and so popular here: "Spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino". In this case don't add the sauce and the fundamental ingredient is the red hot pepper!

Correct again" data-date=" we never use garlic powder, it tastes fake.[quote=Ferrariman;31469">

Bread. No real Italian can eat a bowl of pasta without it!

That's soooo true and soooo disastrous on the body shape, too many carbs, the metabolism has to be very fast! :)One of the most tasty things when eating pasta + bread is "fare scarpetta" which means to mop up the sauce from the bowl with a piece of bread. Warning: not to be done during official and first-date dinners! ;)

Wow - you certainly had all my childhood memories flooding back to me with that post. My grandma's kitchen table (where all Italian-American families gather) was where I saw and tasted these dishes. She was born in Avellino, and lived in Newark, New Jersey then. She made me the Spaghetti aglio olio, and she always served a big plate of meat with the pasta dish. There was meatballs, but she also threw in sausage and pork neck bones (yuck), which my father loved. And the mopping up the sauce with bread was always done too. The meat was put into the sauce pot when it simmered, so you would get a pork-flavored sauce. The pasta I make for myself now is without meat, and I don't eat bread with my meal, so I try to eat an updated, healthy version of this traditional meal. You know about the obesity problem in this country, and that it would be better if all ate this way, but so many Americans do not - the fast food is so cheap, and easy to find, and we love our snacks and fast food.