Episode #11 "Little Prince"

Ferrariman

Again an awesome episode!!!:happy::happy:I agree with many previous speakers: plot, music and the wonderful style fit together perfectly!:clap:You have the feeling that each location is coordinated with the wide range of various clothing which the characters are wearing.:glossy::happy:Already the teaser is worth ten points!!! - Thrilling scenes with fantastic music and one of the best VICE- and electro songs of the 80s by Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax.:radio:Then we reside in the world of the rich population where we see that life doesn't work out well - despite of abundance of money.:thumbsup:And we enjoy Sonny's suit at the horse-race...The drama ends with the betrayal of Jorgenson Sen.Sonny's right when he says that they do good routine police work because this plot is a routine case - but in VICE style!:dance:Little Prince excels itself in change of clothing :happy:: Sonny almost wears another jacket in each scene - from a pale blue spencer to a green-patterned jacket with rolled up sleeves!! Very very cool!Rico doesn't change his suits less, but it doesn't attract attention because all his suits are black or grey.I really love Sonny's striped-spencer in the last scenes.:clap:Moreover music is as wonderful as ever: Tiny Demons by Todd Rundgren fits perfectly to the scene where Mark is high.:radio:And Turn Up the Radio is also selected well.10 of 10 points.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Little Prince11. Little PrinceThis isn’t really one of my favorites from Season 1. There isn’t too much action here. The opening however, was awesome. “Relax†playing in the background and then the whole drug house thing was great. Loved Sonny’s line at the end. “No Fire Escapeâ€. Classic Sonny. Besides this, not too much interesting in the episode. The music was really the saving grace here for me. Turn Up the Radio and Tiny Demons were great. Also, I liked when Sonny was questioning the whole case with Castillo, “The ends justify the means?†It’s a tough sell with this case. Even Tubbs questions Sonny at the end, but he comes to the conclusion that it was routine Police work. Besides a few good scenes and good music, this is in my lowest tier of episodes for Season 1. 7/10

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Better than Glades and Give a Little Take a Little, but not by much. The beginning was superb, classic Vice opener. The episode had a good storyline and focus, but the acting by Jorgensen Jr and even Mary wasn't too great. There were some stale moments which held it back from being even better than it could've been (boring parts such as the racketball match).I dunno, it just didn't spark enough interest for me, but the ending I liked.7/10

• 1 year later...

Little Prince: (1984)

"The saddest thing is an uptown junkie. They're only into it because they hurt so much inside."

As with its two predecessors this one also starts out with lots of day/night shots of junkies, pimps and hookers on the street and after a drug bust which could have gone wrong Crockett and Tubbs comes Gina and Trudy to the rescue with Frankie Goes To Hollywood blastin' in the backround.

At the scene they locate the son of one of the wealthiest men in Miami and soon begins linking him up with some nasty business.

I liked this one. It was not great but still better than the three episode before.

After a short break of forgettable episodes this one brings back the music, look and vibe that is Miami Vice.

Little Prince also made me a fan of the great Todd Rundgren with the haunting scene where they play the song

The only thing that bugs me about this episode are the audio when the play Autograph - Turn up the radio, as the sound is very low and I love the song from Vice City.

7/10

• Like 2

"The saddest thing is an uptown junkie. They're only into it because they hurt so much inside."

As with its two predecessors this one also starts out with lots of day/night shots of junkies, pimps and hookers on the street and after a drug bust which could have gone wrong Crockett and Tubbs comes Gina and Trudy to the rescue with Frankie Goes To Hollywood blastin' in the backround.

At the scene they locate the son of one of the wealthiest men in Miami and soon begins linking him up with some nasty business.

I liked this one. It was not great but still better than the three episode before.

After a short break of forgettable episodes this one brings back the music, look and vibe that is Miami Vice.

Little Prince also made me a fan of the great Todd Rundgren with the haunting scene where they play the song

The only thing that bugs me about this episode are the audio when the play Autograph - Turn up the radio, as the sound is very low and I love the song from Vice City.

7/10

Good episode - some of the styling for this episode seem more dated than earlier episodes such as the Pilot of "Hit List" for example .  :dance2:  :balloon:  :dance: 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

(snipped)To understand Mark Jr.'s relationship with his father one needs to live it to be able to comprehend what kind of love<->hate goes on in one's mind, heart and soul. Some say he's just a spoiled brat, but in my view he's just been surpressed all his life, his mother died, and his father's new girlfriend - as loving and devoted as she might be isn't strong enough to get his father to change his destructive ways.The scene with Mark on drugs with Tiny Demons playing is amazing!Though I am not the one for drugs, everyone has their own vices.See I think Mark loved his father but also hated him, that's why in the end despite everything that had happened he still tried to stop the police from arresting him, albeit in vain. His father finally broke down too, as he's been dealt a mortal blow, or should I say he's responsible for it himself, killing the one woman who loved him, so uncoditionally, I think the actress portraying Mary did a fantastic job too.  (snipped) the point is it's not all white & black out there in the world and people do odd things, like do-good when they're being mistreated and such.

Just finished watching this episode.  Although I wouldn't rate Little Prince a 10, I agree with Fresh Prince that there's a lot of good stuff going on.  

The opening sequence, with Trudy portraying a junkie looking for a fix and Crockett's "we stopped for donuts", was great!  Mark Jr. and Mark Sr.'s relationship at first seemed quite superficial and I didn't get the sense of Mark Jr's suffering until near the end, as he talks with his father while wearing the wire.  Mark Sr., who has seemed fixated only on the success of his business and keeping the money flowing, is revealed (subtly) as very upset after ordering his girlfriend Mary's death (he's shown to be well on his way to numbness with alcohol).  The actress playing Mary did a great job, too.  I think she had faith in Mark Sr. (why she wouldn't admit anything to the police) right up until the driver locked the car doors after dropping off Mark Jr.  Then, she knew she was a goner.

Crockett's comment about the day being all about doing "good, routine police work" I took as ironic.  He obviously felt bad about the overall outcome for Mark Jr.  I wonder if he had an idea that Mark Jr. would really try to leave the area and make a fresh start.  They had a pretty long conversation as Mark Sr. was being arrested.

It has been suggested that Sonny Crockett and his dad had a difficult relationship and that Crockett's dad was an alcoholic.  In Bad Timing, he tells Kathleen his dad has been gone for about 20 years (maybe 25, I can't recall exactly), so obviously he has felt the lack of a father-son relationship in his own life (and he's not much of a dad to Billy throughout the series).  While I doubt that the whole run of the show was planned out that well, when viewing with hindsight it's interesting to connect the pieces of the characters that were gradually revealed.  We saw some of this with Sonny, although not much for the other members of the OCB team.

• 1 year later...

Re-watched this episode last night. I really enjoyed it. The scene near the end when Mark Jr. speaks with Crockett as the father is being arrested reminded me of the scene in Heat (1995) when the prostitute's body is found (killed by Waingro) and the mother is held back by Hanna as she tries to see her daughter's body. Hanna is clearly emotionally distraught for the woman after they embrace. When Mark Jr. runs off and leaves Crockett by himself in the yard, we only see the back of     Crockett from a distance, but the same feeling is there. It was also very reminiscent of the end of "Milk Run"...without the violent ending, of course.

Heat:

58d3e0249db07_ScreenShot2017-03-23at10.4

Little Prince:

58d3e16b75a6b_ScreenShot2017-03-23at10.5

Milk Run:

58d3e1f137c56_ScreenShot2017-03-23at10.5

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.46.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.55.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.46.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.55.15 AM.png

Edited by OCBman
duplicate info
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

One of the thing i love about this show is that even the weak episodes are somewhat enjoyable because of the scenery and music. This is no exception.

The opening is pretty cool. Love Olivia Browns performance.

Jorgensens house is top class.

I like the stakeout scenes and the polo. My gpa was really into Polo in Florida.

However, Mark and Mary are really unlikable which hurts the episode. There is just a little too much drama.

6/10

1 hour ago, Remington said:

One of the thing i love about this show is that even the weak episodes are somewhat enjoyable because of the scenery and music. This is no exception.

The opening is pretty cool. Love Olivia Browns performance.

Jorgensens house is top class.

I like the stakeout scenes and the polo. My gpa was really into Polo in Florida.

However, Mark and Mary are really unlikable which hurts the episode. There is just a little too much drama.

6/10

The teaser and locations are very cool in this episode - good JH score too

I give it 8.5/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On repeat viewing, there really is something haunting and unsettling about this episode.  A big part of that is the relationship between the family, especially Mary's impending doom.  And Mark jr, with no one left, setting off down the road.  Just like that his home life is done.  Also this ep takes itself very seriously, which I like.  

• Like 3

I agree. There weren't many episodes fully dedicated to Trudy. She had some episodes of her own, such as "The Dutch Oven" S2 and "Hell Hath No Fury," S4 where she had the lead role. Trudy played a significant role in S5 "Asian Cut." And I guess in S3, I recall the episode "Baby Blues" where she had more screen time. And we all know the infamous episode, "Missing Hours." If I could change one thing, I would have wished the supporting cast had been more included along with Crockett and Tubbs, I liked the whole team working together. In the beginning, (meaning S1) I feel like, it is created to believe it was a buddy cop show, but then the producers slowly moved away from that. We didn't see that partnership as much, since the focus was mostly on Crockett. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

Interestingly, Frank Military seems to have corrected some of this imbalanced in NCIS: LA. That show has what seems to me a conscious effort to split time between the characters as much as possible, especially once they rounded out the cast. I know Shane Brennan has said he was going for an MV feel, and maybe bringing Military on board was part of that.

At times it felt like they were trying to push Gina, but I never really liked her character as much as I did Trudy. Or Stan and Larry for that matter. They provided a great human element to the team.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. NCIS reminded me a bit of Miami Vice in how the team interacted. And Gibbs has the similar characteristics to the ones of Lt. Castillo. You knew, which characters were in the forefront, but all of the team members got enough airtime in each episode. Their importance showed. And I would have liked for Miami Vice to have been something like that. 

@Robbie C.

I hear members often say they like Trudy over Gina. I'm curious as to, why you didn't care for Gina? I liked her as the nice cop. The one thing, I didn't like though was the sometimes careless behavior. 

Edited by summer84

What bugged me about Gina was the often whiney presentation of the character. Trudy had a brashness about her and an air of capability. Gina just seemed like a prop for Crockett most of the time. Trudy could be nice, but there was also a toughness about her that was lacking in Gina. At least to me.

And the NCIS you need to see for the Vice influences is NCIS:LA. That's the one that has Frank Military constantly involved. And Hetty is like Castillo on steroids. A short Castillo, mind, but given her background she likely trained Castillo....

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2014 at 2:57 PM, ArtieRollins said:

7/10

Indeed, this really bothers me that song is so low in the mix. They really ought to TURN UP the radio! (Seems like a Switek joke). But seriously, the song is a real rock jam and ought to be cranked up!

Watched it again a couple of days ago. Pretty good episode I think, which shows you how corruption in high places can function; they are willing to do anything to cover their trails.

On 8/7/2014 at 8:57 PM, ArtieRollins said:

7/10

At the beginning the song Relax is low, why are some episodes louder than others? in the previous episode the song "You Better Be Good To Me" was blasting.

Even on Blu-Ray/Master Audio, the audio between episodes fluctuate. Season 3 for example lacks bass in a big way, the audio in that season is tinny compared to 1,2,4&5.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I agree with the other posters who feel that this episode is one of the weaker episodes of Season 1 (I think it lacks a certain "spark"; I can't explain it properly I guess, but that's my impression). However, there are still things I like: the beginning with Gina & Trudy undercover (I always like seeing Giancarlo Esposito in anything; I thought his character's "eye" thing to Trudy was suitably sleazy & creepy), the music, the records search lady when Crockett goes to see about Mark Sr.'s holdings ("A loooong time"; he he), how the pain of Mark Jr. is explained & demonstrated, and especially the climax with Mark Jorgenson Sr. & Jr. having a long overdue emotional discussion (it showed Mark Sr. actually did have feelings/guilt over Mary, and I liked how Mark Sr. told Jr. that he was not weak, but sensitive, and admired how Mark Jr. always fought "The Jorgensen Way"; it clicked with me). I also like the ending, it made me wonder if Mark Jr. made it and turned out okay; I cared about him since I felt he was a decent kid who was a little overwhelmed and lost. So, no, not one of my favorite Vice episodes, but there's enough here that still makes me like & remember it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another episode that doesn't quite stand up to the rest of the series in terms of story or acting quality. I enjoyed seeing Giancarlo Esposito in that bit role as Luther, he has always been an actor whose work I've enjoyed. Unfortunately, Mitchell Lichtenstein, who plays the son, didn't do as well in his key scenes. I thought he was really effective in the part where we has high in the bathroom, but otherwise came off as whiny and weak. Maybe that was intentional, but it looked more like overacting. The plot was a bit hazy as well, as Mary's relationship with both Mark Sr. and Jr. was not really fleshed out in any way. The father didn't seem to care about her at all, which led me to think it was unrealistic for her to put herself at risk for him. Great use of music though, from Frankie Goes to Hollywood to Tina Turner. Another I'd skip in the future.

Edited by GoombayPunch
  • Like 1