Episode #11 "Little Prince"

Ferrariman

• 8 months later...

I haven't seen "Little Prince" in a long time and it was very new to me. Trudy did an excellent job playing a strung-out junkie in the opening scene. She got a nice amount of air time in this episode. When Crockett & Tubbs finally arrive to back Trudy & Gina up, Gina yells, "What took you so long?" & Sonny says,"We stopped for donuts!" Classic Sonny sarcasm. I was surprised to see Rico getting a hot dog, since he kidded Sonny about eating them but then he threw it in the dumpster by the warehouse. During the interrogation of Mark Jr., Rico tells him the dealers are "not your friends, Mark." Sonny, later thanks him for playing the good cop & Rico tells him "I wasn't playin'." Nice to see he really cared about the kid. Mark Jorgenson's estate is a beauty, & I enjoyed the polo match with Miami's rich dudes. I would have liked more action but the episode held my interest with Jorgenson's lack of concern for his son & having his wife killed. I rate it a 7.

• Like 3

• Administrators

This was a OK ep. for me. Not much into the snobbish life style or the way in wish Jorgenson was so cold and detached in buying up companies, displacing employee's with families, and of course killing his girlfriend.Glad to see the kid got him in the end.Gave this one a 7 myself.

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Little Prince is a straight forward good Miami vice episode and fits my definition for a 6/10 rating perfectly, good without any defining features or scenes. Its got a couple of good songs, relax in the intro and turn up the radio. Also from Hammer, surprisingly the payback theme, interesting to hear but definitely not utilised to its full potential like it is in Payback. This episode is fairly standard, some ok scenes here and there like the intro, the polo match where Crockett sports some smooth threads and the stakeout near the warehouse. The episode doesn’t do anything bad, though the scene where Tubbs states the bleedin obvious

is just a bit poorly written. Overall a sort of ‘meh’ episode that is good but definitely not something to write home about. So yeah 6/10

Little PrinceNot one of my favorites either, but there were some redeeming parts. You're right, the beginning was great. Trudy did a very convincing job as a junky. Also, I liked when Sonny met with Mark, Mark's father and Mary and Sonny commented on how polo was one of his "Fave Raves." That polo match was a brutal demonstration of how the father cared so little for his son, competing in a way that made him look superior and Mark feel worthless. No wonder the kid turned to drugs. Interesting how Mark felt guilty for betraying his father when he wore the wire, then shouted "No!" after he realized his father was done. I got the impression that Mary was a girlfriend to the father, but not his wife? Was I wrong on this? Either way, sad that she was killed. I liked her. I liked her pride when Rico was trying to get her to testify for her freedom and she refused. Yet, the man she was defending, turned on her in the end. Lots of psychological stuff going on in this episode. Kind of need a degree to sort it all out. I gave this episode a 7. MJ

• Like 2

A decent episode, more of a drama.  Has the song "Turn Up The Radio" by Autograph which is always a plus, but the role of the Jorgenson kid felt like he was played by a cheap Mark Hamill clone. I give it a 7.

Edited by agent 47
Still stand by this one as well.
  • Like 1

I'd say 7 out of 10.While it's not the best written, it does have good music in it, great colors btw, and of course wonderful scenery from their house. The Polo match brings back memories for me, because the city we lived in during the MV time period had a polo league, with the field a few miles from where I live now. Of course that's now home to a bridge for an "out east" interstate! :thumbsdown:I enjoy watching this one from time to time on the DVD's of course, since it's no longer aired in the US.....

I don't think Jourgenson and Mary were married, but boyfriend / girlfriend. Mark Sr.'s wife had died. Mary had her own apartment. He had a young girlfriend. Most likely a reason that although older, Mary and Mark Jr. got along so well as friends being they were closer in age.

Little Prince

I don't think Jourgenson and Mary were married' date=' but boyfriend / girlfriend. Mark Sr.'s wife had died. Mary had her own apartment. He had a young girlfriend. Most likely a reason that although older, Mary and Mark Jr. got along so well as friends being they were closer in age.[/quote']That's the impression I got, Cooper&Burnett. MJ

Little Prince rounds up the trio of weak episodes that started with Glades.This ep has some good points about it. The intro is good, there are two great songs - 'Relax Sex Mix' by Frankie Goes To Hollywood and 'Turn Up The Radio' by Autograph (later on the Vice City soundtrack of course) and there's some nice scenery. The house on Star Island looked very nice.But the story is very weak, the acting unremarkable and there is very little for you to come back to for repeated viewings.So I'd rate this a poor episode. 4.5/10

• Like 1

That's the impression I got' date=' Cooper&Burnett. MJ[/quote']I got that impression too. Things I loved about the episode were the music e.g "Tiny Demons", "Relax", and "Turn up the radio". The latter of course being one of the three Miami Vice tunes featured on "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" (the others being "Crockett's theme" and "Missing you"). I also loved the bit where Crockett concludes the "Relax" scene at the beginning of the episode, almost as a punchline with the words "No fire escape". Then immediately the opening credits kick in. This is one of the reasons I always liked Vice, the style and sense of timing. Another example in this episode being the Polo Match scene which begins with Jan Hammer's "Runaround" playing in the background. You hear the build up of the tune commence as you see the ball in the foreground and the horses and riders running towards the camera in the background. The exact moment the ball eventually gets hit is the exact moment the main body of the tune kicks in. Watch this bit again and you'll see what I mean.I thought Gina looked the best she's ever done in this episode. Ironically not when dressed up in smart 80's dresses, but wearing the baggy trousers and t-shirt she was wearing following the initial bust, which was much more of a 90's look (less is more in my opinion!).I liked the dynamics between Crockett and Tubbs during the initial questioning of Mark. Tubbs gives Mark some genuine sympathy and understanding, then watch Crockett's face at 7:37. He assumes Tubbs is playing good cop, so he immediately gets up and starts giving Mark a hard time, assuming that Tubbs wants him to play bad cop. It wasn't until Mark had left the room that what they had both been thinking was made explicit.This episode was a great opportunity to see close ups of the amazing house on Star Island that was used as Jorgensen's house in this episode. I also noticed for the first time that the interior shots were of the same house as Oscar Carerra's in "Hostile Takeover". Despite there being four years between the two episodes, the furniture looked exactly the same.I thought Mitchell Lichenstein (Mark), did a good acting job. He looked genuinely high when he was laid on the bathroom floor.Also spotted quite a few actors that appeared in several other episodes, for example the woman who was doing the research for Crockett, Jody Wilson(Stone's War, One eyed Jack), and Jorgensen's driver, Mario Ernesto Sanchez (Rites of Passage, Everybody's in Showbiz, Borrasca, Miami Squeeze). Plus the guy with the beard at Mary's bust also appeared at the beginning of "The Home Invaders".The only thing that I didn't find consitent was the fact that Crockett and Tubbs appeared to have a serious problem with their consciences after Mary got killed, and Mark got his dad arrested. Yet they didn't appear to have any guilt about practically press ganging Jimmy Borges into working with them against the Revillas in "The Prodigal Son", despite the fact that he felt very uncomfortable about it. This ultimately led to his execution. Anyway, that's another story!Mjcmmv, I thought you made a very good point about Mark's relationship with his dad. During his heart to heart with his son, Jorgensen said that his own father had been hard on him, and he'd tried to do this with Mark, but Mark was sensitive like his mother. Maybe as a result, being tough on the kid had damaged his self esteem instead of making him tough. This is what led to him being a helpless junkie. I'd never considered that before until you mentioned it.All in all I thought this was an ok episode, although not one of my favourites. 6 out of 10.

The latter of course being one of the three Miami Vice tunes featured on "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" (the others being "Crockett's theme" and "Missing you"). There's four. There's Laura Branigan's 'Self Control' too

The latter of course being one of the three Miami Vice tunes featured on "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" (the others being "Crockett's theme" and "Missing you"). There's four. There's Laura Branigan's 'Self Control' too
That's true. Although I didn't count it as it was played by that no name band in "The Great McCarthy", and therefore I considered it a different version of the same song (God I'm starting to sound like a real pedantic Miami Vice geek now!).

Review of Little PrinceI like this episode from first season and watch it every so often. I rate this episode an 8 for many reasons: Scenes, Music, Story, and Interactions between OCB gang.1. Scenes: The scenes of the Jorgensen house, the outside of the Jorgenson place as you can see the expensive sail yacht, the expansive grounds and the water in the background. I agree with Mark Jr. The house was too white inside, although a nice irony since the house was a pure white and lily pure when Mark Sr. was dirty and full of the grime of crime. I also liked the scenes of the mission and the warehouse district where the OCB gang ran the surveillance .2.Music: The Instrumental introduction to Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax†was very good for the beginning scenes with Trudy and Gina walking along the derelict sections of town trying to get Trudy a fix. Trudy was very convincing. I laugh each time I see the scene where Gina tries to shoo the Druggie away saying he’s just a cop. I think the dialog here is so ironic. The music also built up the tension of the back-up arriving late putting Trudy in danger of almost getting the shot or taking them down without enough back-up. “Tiny Demons†was a perfect choice for the scene with Mark Jr. in the bathroom crying and tripping out at the same time. You could literally see his pain and confusion at why things were the way they were. Even the lyrics fit the situation. “Turn Up The Radio†was also a perfect song to play during the different scenes of the surveillance, Sonny’s frustration at trying to run down who owned the warehouse, and then Gina alerting everyone that the deal was going down. I also liked Hammer’s music for the polo game, and other scenes for this episode. In all I think the choice and use of the different music for the scenes was incredible.3. Story: I liked that All the OCB Gang was in this one. I like the way it slowly revealed Mark Jr’s situation. There’s one scene during the intro where it shows the ‘shooting gallery’ and we see the back room where Mark is away from all the others stoned. We also see his reaction to Sonny and Rico’s interrogation methods. Later we see him playing against his father in polo and Meet Mark Sr. and Mary. The Scene in the bathroom also shows him high, but notice the tears. Even the junk can’t take away the pain he’s feeling. We also see how Mary is concerned about him, and how he responds to her. (I wonder if he had a little crush on her.) She immediately tries to cover for him with his father, but Mark Sr. sees through that and she tries to make an excuse for Mark Jr. It’s also obvious that Mark Sr. and Mary are involved romantically. It’s only later while listening to somebody’s wire tap recordings that it’s revealed that Mary is involved with Mark Sr.’s business. Later we see that She’s Mark Sr.’s middle man for a drug deal, and how loyal she is to him. Also, it’s interesting to see that Rico is genuinely concerned about Mark Jr. and even with Sonny’s typical cynicism, after hanging around the place and learning more about Mark’s father, Sonny begins to feel bad about Mark Jr’s situation. I especially like that Mr. Corporate raider got his at the end. Very satisfying to see during our current economic situation. Surprising for this early in the eighties though. I do wonder if Mary was so naïve that she thought Mark Senior wouldn’t kill her because of their relationship, or if she was trying to put on a good front for Mark Jr. so he wouldn’t try and interfere or get in even more trouble with his father. She looked genuinely surprised when the Chaufer/Whacker locked the doors of the car from the front seat. We finally see her fear of the situation she found herself in. It was also interesting to hear the Father/Son talk at the end when Mark Jr. was already wearing the wire and it was too late to keep his father from being arrested for Conspiracy in Mary’s murder.4. OCB Gang: As I mentioned everyone was in this episode. We see the partnerships at work also. Larry and Stan having a typical conversation reparte before Trudy and Gina hook up with the drug guy. After that it’s all business but the bug mobile stalls. They immediately call Sonny and Rico and start to follow on foot. Sonny and Rico are in the Daytona and Sonny’s passing time by reading a paper and comments to Rico how they were going to pay this guy mucho bucks Not to play football and comments further about when he was in the hospital with his knee injury he didn’t even get a box of chocolates. As soon as they get the call about Larry and Stan losing sight of Gina and Trudy, Rico and Sonny speed into action by tracking down a junkie that would most likely know where the shooting gallery is. They get the information and get there just in time to back Gina and Trudy who had silently communicated by a look that it was time to try and take the gallery down even though their backup hadn’t arrived yet. The affection relief and exasperation is clearly shown by Gina when she asks Sonny where were they, and Sonny’s relief is shown in a typical quip: “we stopped for donutsâ€. Later on in the office they’re kidding around and then become serious. The interrogation scene of Mark Jr shows more interaction between Sonny and Rico. They don’t miss a beat as Sonny starts the hard line, and Rico tries the soft sell. They go back and forth trying to convince Mark Jr. to give the drug dealers and suppliers up, and finally have him convinced when Mark’s lawyer busts in before he can sign the agreement. Sonny’s reaction and Rico’s reaction are as different as night and day, also it looks like Rico’s comments about an uptown junkie seems to have some affect on Sonny. During the discovery of the ware house we see Rico determine where the ware house might be located by picking out sounds on a tape of Mary’s conversation to Mark Senior. Rico discovers the warehouse and what’s in it and calls Castillo and Sonny. I love that scene when Sonny quickly calculates the street value and they all decide to let it sit, and agree on the Mission for the place to keep an eye on it and see who shows. I found it interesting contrast to see how Larry and Stan surveyed and Gina and Trudy surveyed the same scene. Larry and Stan had a girlie pin-up and lots of pizza and an all around mess. Gina took the girlie picture down gently, Trudy took pictures with the camera and Gina filed her nails. When the deal finally went down. She called everybody in. Later on after Mary was killed the scene with Castillo, Tubbs, and Crockett was interesting. Evidently Sonny hadn’t known that Castillo had brought Mark Jr. down to see Mary being loaded in the coroner’s wagon and taken away. He got really angry but quickly saw the point Marty explained they wrote the rules to the game. Rico and Sonny then go to Mark Jr. and he sees Mary being loaded to be taken away, and accuses Sonny about the reason Sonny brought him down there to see dead Mary being taken away. Sonny exchanges a glance with Rico and confirms Mark Jr.’s theory even though he had just accused Marty of the same thing. Later when Rico asks them at the end what they had just done, Sonny’s cynical response is ‘just good old fashion police work.’ Later when Sonny and Rico check-up on the kid several times it appears, Rico and Sonny both bring up their concern for the kid, but each has their own viewpoint. Rico thinks the kid will end up OD’d somewhere, while Sonny thinks the kid might have a chance now.This was a perfect episode to follow after Episode 10 Give a little Take A little as it showed the OCB gang working together again and moving on from that episode.

• Like 1

Little Prince"During his heart to heart with his son, Jorgensen said that his own father had been hard on him, and he'd tried to do this with Mark, but Mark was sensitive like his mother. Maybe as a result, being tough on the kid had damaged his self esteem instead of making him tough. This is what led to him being a helpless junkie."You made some good points, too, PL. No matter how much money or influence they had, the Jorgensons weren't immune to unhappiness. Pretty sad ending, too. MJ

A good episode, but IMO the weakest of S1 (granted, there was no bad episode in S1; the only one of MV's five seasons where that can be said). I gave it 6/10. Not one of my favorites, but I wouldn't skip over it, as I haven't seen it in quite awhile.I do love that kickin' opening with "Relax", it's sort of burned itself into my head whenever I'm in a rush to get somewhere. I guess that's how you know you're a Vicer.

• Like 1

I give it an 8. I really enjoyed the beginning with the raid at the shooting gallery with the song 'Relax',. It 's too bad the song 'Turn Up The Radio' is faded later in the episode though.

• Administrators

i like this epsiode because there is so much vice style: bright colors, much white, pastel ... by the way: the clothing gina, sonny and marc wear at the ocb you can buy again today in nearly every fashion shop: same colors - same design.concerning fashion: i think crocketts short stripy jacket worn with a fasciated tee is ditzy. it is completely out of place and crinkles all the time at his shoulders. i guess in this episode rico changes far more often clothing than sonny does. but that incident keeps a low profile because ricos suits are of gray color and not colored. so far for the outside.concerning the inside: the story of a struggle between father and son is one of my favorite themes, but the accomplishment is much worse than the idea. mitchell lichtenstein has a great appearance playing the disoriented and disenchanted marc jorgenson jr. but mary is a complete miscast in my book. this character is not authentic at all. she's too naive to be involved in illegal affairs - she would have been busted or even killed earlier only because of her greenness.but there were also very amusing moments: crocketts investigations concerning jorgensons storehouse, ricos flying hot dog, and sonnys contented face after the build-up of a coffee machine and last but not least a harsh dispute between crockett and castillo. i like both parts: crocketts emotional reaction and castillos wordless / motionless reaction. this contrast appeals to me all the time through the whole show.my rate is an 8! :cool:

• 3 months later...

I've been reading the replies here and I think I a different view of the episode than the rest, sure I love the amazing house and water surrounding it, I would move there in a heartbeat he heThe whole episode is a bit melancholic, that's why I can connect to it I guess, it's same as of my temper.To understand Mark Jr.'s relationship with his father one needs to live it to be able to comprehend what kind of love<->hate goes on in one's mind, heart and soul. Some say he's just a spoiled brat, but in my view he's just been surpressed all his life, his mother died, and his father's new girlfriend - as loving and devoted as she might be isn't strong enough to get his father to change his destructive ways.The scene with Mark on drugs with Tiny Demons playing is amazing!Though I am not the one for drugs, everyone has their own vices.See I think Mark loved his father but also hated him, that's why in the end despite everything that had happened he still tried to stop the police from arresting him, albeit in vain. His father finally broke down too, as he's been dealt a mortal blow, or should I say he's responsible for it himself, killing the one woman who loved him, so uncoditionally, I think the actress portraying Mary did a fantastic job too.This is a dark and gloomy episode and can only appeal to so many people, like I said in the beginning, you've got to live through something similar to be able to connect to it. Sadly, obviously, by writing this, I can.Great episode, I really love it for some relaxing bits as well such as polo match, well if you could call it relaxing.I guess the point is it's not all white & black out there in the world and people do odd things, like do-good when they're being mistreated and such.I guess I'm the only one who voted 10.

• Like 1

I think it is a pretty good episode. Sure there is not a whole lot of action, but it is still a solid episode. I have watched it several times. Mark Sr. is a classic example of a wealthy man who thinks he can do whatever he wants and not have to suffer the consequences for it. Everything in his life was centered around the aquisition of money and wealth. Everything was a competition for him and his success was the only thing that mattered. This is evident in the polo match when he knocks Mark Jr. off his horse to the conversation he is having on the phone sitting in the back of his house. When Mary is arrested, his first concern was that he lost a million dollars. He showed no concern for her at all and he ended up deciding she was a liability that needed to be dealt with. This episode is a good example of the fact that money cannot buy happiness. I give this episode an 8.

• 1 year later...

I didn't really like this episode. It was just about a rich spoiled druggie kid that ends up helping bust his evil drug-dealing father, after bad-daddy had his personal assistant (and the kid's friend) murdered.The only cool thing about this episode was the very beginning and Trudy playing the drug addict needing a fix! That was very believable! The music and/or songs used in this episode were pretty cool too.But, other than that this wasn't really that good an episode. :rolleyes: With Trudy's performance at the very beginning and some of the music I rated this one a 5...otherwise I'd of rated it lower.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This features one of my all time favorite openings to a MV episode.The remix of Frankie Goes to Hollywood fit perfectly as a backdrop to what was happening with Trudy and Gina undercover as Junkies.The actor who played Jorgensen Jr. overacted it at times, but it didn't ruin the episode.

• 7 months later...

I voted a 10.I know alot of people voted below that.Its a favorite episode of mine I remember when I first saw it so long ago and enjoy watching it now.I love the music Relax and Turn up the radio good music.The other thing I liked was when Mark was brought to where Mary's body is found and Crockett gets upset at Castillo.Crockett says the ends justify the means Lt.Crockett really gets upset in using people he cares for the kid.Then when Mark wheres a wire and tries to punch the cop and Crockett and tubbs hold him back and then Crockett goes and talks to Mark and Mark runs off.Also Crockett looked good in that short jacket and white pants very handsome.:D