Episode #11 "Little Prince"

Ferrariman

Another one of my burning questions :) :

During the teaser when Luther brings Gina and Trudy to the “shootin’ gallery”, he says, “Don’t mind Gary—he died three years ago”.

Is “Gary” the “cupcake” who answered the door, the bird in the cage, or one of the junkies lying around?

Luther is obviously/hopefully not being literal here, as there are no fully decomposed corpses in the scene. :) 

7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Is “Gary” the “cupcake” who answered the door, the bird in the cage, or one of the junkies lying around?

I think he meant the aforementioned "cupcake". I really liked that sarcastic, "You're lookin' sharp." line. Haaa!   

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, fakespyder said:

I thought Gary was the guy who said something to Trudy about not speedballing. I'm not sure at all though.

I believe that’s Cupcake :) 

• Like 1

In my opinion "Cupcake" is Gary's nickname, when Giancarlo Esposito says he died years ago I think he is implying that he has lost his sense of humor, enthusiasm for life or basic social skills.

Gina and Trudy look at him when he say's it as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

In my opinion "Cupcake" is Gary's nickname, when Giancarlo Esposito says he died years ago I think he is implying that he has lost his sense of humor, enthusiasm for life or basic social skills.

Gina and Trudy look at him when he say's it as well.

These were my thoughts as well. Just wanted to see if that was the general consensus. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Last episode aired in 1984.

it was quite enjoyable to watch for me, even as repeat. Love the intro with relax from Frankie goes to Hollywood and C&T rushing to aid Gina & Trudy for the drug bust.

Great Jan Hammer cues during the polo match, Mark Sr. girlfriend murder (early payback cue) and the bust in the end.

It would have been cool if Mark Jr character would have come back down the line in the series on some other story. It had some potential. Or else, an ending with Mark Jr shooting himself in front of everyone and freeze frame would have been awesome for mid 80s Tv!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i love that episode a lot for several reasons

- presence of M. Lichtenstein. in term of 80s glamour you can hardly do better

- talks of cocaine, and how insidious that drug is. which can even catch into its nets highly educated youngs

- few action. lot of sentiments. love, son-father love, relation son-father, stepmother love. consequences of lack of love, auto destruction, few consideration for other human beings

- Tubbs fox talents highlighted

- a small jump into aristocracy. which in a series like MV isn't unpleasant

- unexpected (at least for me), but pretty cool ending. the young is multimillionnaire, but decides to drop it all to find his real himself

a pretty nice episode

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Haven't noticed it before: the 'Payback' theme is heard briefly in this episode

Yes it’s pretty faint but it’s there - this theme would be developed fully and expanded on a year later in “Payback” as you said.

• Like 1