Exclusive interview Chris Flanger (Jan Hammer producer)

KaeptnCaipi

• Administrators

Mr. Flanger, you're manager of LuckySong - a production company based in Mannheim/Germany - and you produced the new Crockett's Theme von Jan Hammer feat. TQ.

1. Can your professional roots be found in the music industry or are you from the commercial sector?

I spent my whole life with music. I studied music in Stuttgart (6 years, major subject: classical guitar and composition) when I was 19. Afterwards I also gave lessons. I worked as producer and composer before i started with LuckySong.

2. Predominantly LuckySong promotes young talents at the beginning of their career. How did the contact to Jan Hammer came about?

Accidentally. I always loved "Crockett's Theme". So once a day I contacted Jan´s manager, produced a demo and sent it to Jan. He reacted instantly and so we made it!

3. Jan Hammer mentioned that Luckysong developed the idea of the new Crockett's Theme. How exactly did the idea of the reissue arise?

For four years I worked as night moderator from 12:00 am to 05:00 am at "Welle Fidelitas" ( private radio station in Karlsruhe/Germany ). Each morning I played Crockett's Theme as the very last title when I said good-bye to the listeners. I always thought that I would like to do "something" with that song! LuckySong gave me the chance to tealize my dream.

4. How did TQ came along?

Accidentally as well. I negociated with the group "Flyside" ( they had a hit four months ago - "Happy Birthday" - which is similar in sound and composition ). But in the end we didn't agree. At that time TQ was in Germany where he had some gigs. His agent, Ron Cooper, is a friend of mine. He asked me whether i'd like to meet TQ since he brought new stuff along. I met him and listened to his new songs. Then i asked him, whether he'd like to try a rap within this project. It worked!

5. Wouldn't a reissue of the „Miami Vice Theme“ be much more up-to-date regarding the premiere of the new Michael Mann movie?

Maybe - but the idea was much older than the movie. At that time I didn't know that there will be a movie.

6. Would you consider yourself a fan of Miami Vice (show)? Or do you like the movie 2006 better?

I'm a fan of Miami Vice but not of the remake. To me Miami Vice is Sonny and Tubbs - and Jan Hammer. Moreover: I myself lived in Miami. So I always had close contact to the city, the attitude to life and the show.

7. Philip Michael Thomas is operating in the music business with his musical „Sacha“. And recently even Don Johnson is said to be busy recording a new album - to his fan's pleasure. Could you imagine to bring both of them together with Jan Hammer to do a corporate recording?

One should give it a try - it depends on Jan Hammer as well.

8. Which further musical projects do you plan?

With Jan I will keep working definitely. With our artist Philippe i will go to the US this week to produce his new single.

Mr. Flanger, we would like to thank you very much for the interview!

(Questions by Ell.a) © 2006 m mit freundlicher Genehmigung Chris Flanger, www.luckysong.com The copyright proprietor has licensed the content (including, without limitation, its audio files, text and pictures) contained in or on this webpage are for listening and viewing only. Unless otherwise expressly licensed by the copyright proprietor, all other rights are reserved. Any such violations will give liability for a civil action and may give rise to criminal prosecution.

• Like 1