"The Heist" Music Video!

Dadrian

Until i get the uploading issue resolved on the high quality versions, you can watch my latest vid in decent quality on YouTube here:

• Like 2

thanks, man. i found a sample of a mack truck horn on google. it was pretty accurate! :) it turned out to be my favorite part of the video.

• 1 month later...

I love your cover.Your cover sounds has 100% like the original. You are an artist Mister Dadrian Wilson

I love your cover.Your cover sounds has 100% like the original. You are an artist Mister Dadrian Wilson

that's very nice. thank you.

• 7 years later...

Yes, this piece is brilliant Dadrian! I absolutely love that scene where they steal the cement truck and the music (by you/ by Jan) fits perfect...one of my all time favorites. So thanks a lot!

Couple of observations/questions: You actually expanded the cue from the episode, right? Say from 1 to 2 minutes? And you took some creative liberty by adding these metallic sounding synth brass sections, right? (I don't think its actually brass but I dont kow what else to call it. It starts at 1:27) If so, nice work - I enjoy them a lot! :)

Last but not least - what is that sound you used that is like a pitched down kick/snare/tom, kind of damp...maybe even a rimshot? Its first appearance is at 0:14. I have not been able to emulate that yet....though I've come pretty close with some pitched down Fairlight kicks and toms. What keyboard did you use for that? Thanks!

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

I appreciate the comments, and I'm glad you enjoy the cover. Jan got pretty funky on this one!

If you listen closely to the music as the cement truck is actually starting to move and drive away, you'll hear the "brass" sounds. It's actually just the Clavinett sound when you play the notes really hard--the same DX7 patch he gets the clean Telecaster sounds with on cues like "Lombard" and the Chalk's scene at the end of "One Way Ticket". This part of "The Heist" cue gets used again during the Las Vegas montage on "Down for the Count II". You can hear it way more clearly there without all the cement truck noises. 

The tom sample is the one he used on at least 75% of his tom sounds for the first two seasons. You can easily lift it off the drum roll in the middle of "The Talk" from The Complete Collection CDs if you'd like to have that sample. You can hear it in nearly every one of my covers. 

Hey, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)  I wasn't aware of the re-use, Since I'm a latecomer I have jut begun to watch all the episodes again and this time I'm paying extra close attenttion to the music. ;-)  My next episodes are set then. *grin*

Ah ok, so you actually use samples from the originals? Only for the snares and toms or also for other stuff?
So, the thing that bugs me remains...'cos how did Jan get that tom sound? Surely he tweaked around with his Linndrum and keyboards sometimes and didn't just sample all these drum parts....

I just listend to that part of the Talk and he sure used a lot of Reverb on these. Maybe that is the key I was missing....I'm pretty convinced he used a factory sound for this so I'm gonna keep trying. (and make a sample too, that way I can compare :))

Edited by Den Taylor

That tom was a sample he loaded into the Fairlight from his own studio (like the Gretsch snare from the MV theme song). He was also inclined to making samples with ambience and various other effects, even though you "weren't supposed to".