Daytona VS Testarossa. Have at it!

JonnyDaytona

• 5 weeks later...

now I liked the daytona cos as they say"Black cars look Better In the Shade" ahh it just looks better at night and easier to camouflage

Black Cars Gino Vannelli 1985.

if only the testarossa was a convertable..i dont like how the daytona looks but i like that its a convertable, i like how the testarossa looks but i dont like that its not a convertable :p

• Administrators

Aside from the fact that it was a fake I love the Daytona. The Testarosssa was ok but it just didn't measure up.

As a tree hugger' date=' I'm outraged at this picture. ;)[/quote']LOL ;);) hee hee hee and @ the tree was in the wrong

• 1 month later...

At least one has stated that they loved the Testa initially, but then the Daytona caught his eye afresh and anew. I think this has happened to me. The Testa is a good size car and you can tell they "babied" it somewhat during production. Whereas they had no fear driving the Daytona a little hard. The black convertible Daytona would have stuck out during stake-outs and the white Testa would have been worse. Gotta go with the Daytona... no wait Testa... got it... BOTH!!!

• 8 months later...

The Daytona for one simple reason, when did you last see Sonny Crockett do this with the Testa?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD2bDqQyzrU&feature=PlayList&p=E028213C5D3E82FC&index=18the Daytona kicks in at 1:30And it could have been done up right for the 3rd season like this one, minus the stupid ferrari insignias on the wheels.http://photosautos.free.fr/shootings/ferrari_daytonaspyder/index.htmand saved them a lot of grief with the Testarossa

and I would have gone with the Testa, provided they had kept it black metallic like it was in "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" because A: the stakout thing mentioned above B: the stunt car woundn't of been so obivious if it was painted blackC: sometimes they forgot to put peices of the camera car back on that showed up black on film, like in the last scene of chase from "The Savage" shown in the vid I attached D: I don't like white cars, ferraris should be red, black, blue, yellow or red, not white or brown. However from the right angles the Testarossa looked great in white, but as soon as they got up close to the front bumper its boxieness showed throught because of the bright paint job.
Eingefügtes Bild - Good AngleEingefügtes Bild - Bad AngleEingefügtes Bild - Good AngleEingefügtes Bild - Great Angle!

heck of a good first post, kavinsky! welcome to the forum.what about gray ferraris? is that a no-no? i think dick wolf or one of the MV big wigs had a dark gray testarossa that was beautiful. this color would seem to accommodate all concerns about night/day shots and even fit into the grittier color scheme of the later seasons.it seemed to work here ;):Eingefügtes Bild

Thanks nofretz Gray works for some Ferraris, it worked for the 430 in the movie and I did love the much more modern styles of the film IE: Crockett and Tubbs clothes, the Ferrari, but not Crockett's mustache or hair they should have gone with the suprisingly modern look that Don had from the pilot.Eingefügtes BildThey also should have left out that annoying blue filter that they used in "Collateral" that made the film look much more like "Underworld" than the Miami Vice we love. they should have done it the same way they did "Out Where The Busses Don't Run" with just natural, beautiful Miami daylight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-f5dAUZO4 - I think this vid from "The Great McCarthy" shows off what Im talking about better

Boatwise, he should have gone the Donzi 38 ZR Competition race boat from the cut boat race at the begining. Which looks more like the Stinger and Scarab than that weird 120 mph catamaran he had AND it should have been in this color too. Eingefügtes Bildand why does Crockett never use his super expensive Tiki 45 in the film? and besides they should have given him a Kimber 1911, Dan Wesson 1911, Smith and Wesson 610 or 1006 in 10mm as his primary Eingefügtes Bildhttp://www.bren-ten.com/agtman/id2.htmlwith the Tiki in an ankle holster.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildAs for Tubbs he should have had his classic Smith 49 Bodyguard from the tv show Eingefügtes Bildalong with his Lynndale Blue 1963 Cadillac ConvertibleEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildbut enough about the filmI think that big wig your thinking of was DJ, that car was bright silver and given to him by Ferrari just as ths show ended. While it looks great in that color, and dark greyEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildthe missing panels of the camera car and the stunt car would have still been too obivious. I think only black would have worked with the Testarossa and the stunt pantera and saved them the trouble, time and money of redoing all 3 cars that could have been put into making much more frantic car chases.Eingefügtes BildBy the way In my opinion the perfect testarossa would be a 512 tr in black metallic with cream interior plus the front bumper of the 512mhttp://www.motorcars-intl.com/vehicle_details.aspx?id=505Eingefügtes Bildand the Magnesium Rims of the original 1984 model Eingefügtes Bildand the 430 isn't perfect either the perfect one would be in this color combinationEingefügtes Bild with the front bumber of the scuderia - minus that stupid flappy pannel gearboxEingefügtes Bild

kavinsky--one suggestion for your posts with pics:click on this guy Eingefügtes Bild at the top of the reply box and paste your link in the box that pops up. then your pics will show up in your posts like this:

give it a shot.if you already knew this, sorry. maybe someone else learned something from it.although i've never tried it, the youtube vids have "embed" links on them that just might work on here, too.

make sure there is none of this "..." (ellipses) in your link that you post in the pop up so you'll get:Eingefügtes Bildto use your links from above, click on them and copy them from the url box of the screen that opens. that should get rid of the ellipses.now, someone tell me how to embed videos on here :)

okay i've got the hang of it now and I found a pink tr for you to take to the paint shop, or out back to put it out of its misery with a shotgunEingefügtes Bild

This is one of the most common threads (testa vrs. Daytona) on any MIAMI VICE website. Sometimes, it's in several different sections.However, I usually chime in.Personally, I prefer the Daytona. Do I love the testarossa? YOU BET! I just prefer the daytona. It was the first "ferrari" that the series had, and I loved it, and became comfortable with it as a viewer. It really made an impression.The Testa was the most up to date, top of the line Ferrari of it's time when they made the switch, and I visited a Ferrari dealership to view one. It looked better to me in person.The Daytona (a real one mind you) was actually a more powerful, and faster car than the Testa by quite a bit. (I'm sure a savy member here could find comparative numbers for an 85-86 testarossa vrs. the numbers of a daytona) Testarossa's of that vintage were not particularly quick.The Testarossa looks like a beast, but lesser mussle cars are actually faster. It just LOOKS fast. By that, I don't mean to say that the testarossa was slow, but by Ferrari standards, it was not that fast.The Daytona on the other hand was extremely fast and powerful, and was worth more than the testarossa. It was black, mysterious, rare as a convertible, and not very well known. It showed that Crockett had A LOT of money to have such a rare, expensive beast. The testarossa, while not cheap, could be bought at any Ferrari dealership at the time.If I could afford a Testarossa, I'd buy one. I even looked at getting a testarossa kit car once. It is a very flashy car!To this day, I still want a replica Daytona too.

It's the lack of weight, tried and true technology that Enzo used that made the Daytona the better car.(He inadvertantly made the daytona the first true front mid engined car (more or less) in history and on top of that it was the last car made before he sold the company to fiat in 1973) Rule number 1 of making a car faster is to reduce the weight and being one of the last ferrari's of the 1960's it was almost automatically going to be lighter and thus required less power to get up to speed than the 1984 Testarossa.After all the Testa's 600 pounds heavier than the daytona (3200 vs 2600) and had to have a bigger engine put in to match the speed of the berlineta boxer and the daytona AND to compensate for the weight of all the american safety gear they had to put in for it to be sold in America (The daytona has a 4.4 liter v12 engine with webber carbs and the testarossa has a fuel injected 4.9 liter v12)The Testarossa was the also first model imported to America since the end of the production of the daytona in 1973 and they only made 124 real daytona spyders and about 1000 coupes over 4 years vs 7 years and 5,000 coupes on the testarossa side. It's no wonder why the most expensive testarossa (the 512m) is about 170 - 230k compared to a minimal of 310k for a daytona coupe and 1.3 million for the one below which was sold 5 days after I came across it.and given the choice what would you have taken the white Testa or this?http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/14122/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5Bpointer%5D=1-2&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BRET%5D=63&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1%5BMODE%5D=makeEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild