Daytona VS Testarossa. Have at it!

JonnyDaytona

Done to death, but new board, new thread! I love the Daytona so much, I changed my name. I think this classic beast (in keeping with the other classic cars) was the slickest, best looking car of the series. Elegant and deadly in those epic night shots, C&T looked great jumping in and out of it.... The Daytona to me, is a classical beauty. Timeless like my all time favourite car and sexiest beast ever built, the E-type Jag. The Testarossa to me, was not without merit....just not my first choice. :rauchen:

Wonder where JonnyDaytona went to? An interesting thread that may need reviving. :)

• Administrators

I'd choose a Daytona of a Testarossa. However, if the Daytona is the replica one from the series, in that case I'll choose the Testarossa.

Though the fake Daytona is still awesome and I'd love to own one.

Eingefügtes Bild

It's just that if I had to choose between a fake Ferrari and a real Ferrari, of course I'd choose the real Ferrari.

Edited by SL1DE

• 2 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2010 at 5:20 PM, CameraDaytona said:

I would guess the Daytona will hold its own (vs. the Testarossa) in the straight line, but I would stay away from the road courses. It would be really interesting to find out the answer though. (The C3 Corvette chassis, which is basically the same as the C2 chassis developed in the early 60s, needs some significant modification to compete with 80s technology.)

Revving an old thread again, as I have an optional racing suspension added to my C3 frame (confirmed by mechanics who saw the heavy duty springs and suspension), and a front cross bar that was more designed for a light pick-up truck lol, I'd say mine could handle the curves at least as well as the boxy Testa on a curved course. It rides stiff for sure because of this, but does take turns at high speed with relative ease.

• 1 month later...

It does say something that the old C4 chassis is still basically the C3 one save for a few key updates though, a front leaf spring that acts as an anti roll bar, rack and pinion steering, updated brakes and a 4 piece rear end, and probably abit better QC on the wields and it did need extra bracing to make up for that removed X brace from the C1, that was probably removed to remove 300 pounds of weight to help the handling

and GM managed to re engineer that to do a 180 MPH in the ZR1 back in 89, so just because its old doesnt mean you throw it out or say its inferior, its just like all muscle cars of that era, they sometimes need some reinforcement in the chassis, and some of them handled quite well as is because they were tooled right from the getgo

Key words, Torsion bar suspension, IE more anti roll bars and stiffness to get that out of a car running on Pollyglass

and key word here, Hotchkiss suspension. 

and Oldsmobile, the more I look into the 442, the more it seems like they really knew what they were doing with it

350 CI engine with 454 valves to get around the high insurance premiums with an aluminum block? now that's clever

so its all about how you set it up

plus ferrari and jaguar both used GM transmissions in their own cars, the 350 400 auto transmission , and some 1960's manufacturers from italy used american motors in their cars, the ISO grifo and one of valentino balbonis favorite cars used a chevy 327 in it. so they must have thought that our stuff was up to their standard if they used it in their cars. and an american designed the fiat 124 spider for them in the first place.

although I gotta admit I agree with james, when faced between a fake and a real one, of course you always go for the real one

but it doesnt mean you dont and cant have fun with it, hell I kinda have this idea about maybe renaming the thing the vice city stinger, using this as one of the badges

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-GRAND-THEFT-AUTO-VICE-CITY-PALM-TREE-SWIZZLE-STICK-COCKTAIL-STIRRER-/222090108581?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

given that my introduction to miami vice was through that game, not the show itself. or maybe rigging that up to say Miami Vice, and then daytona on the trunk, as that does bother me even though I do love the car, as the more I look into the testarossa the more respect I have for it, as its basically a daytona made for the 1980's

and the more I look into it the more I realize that ferrari knew what it was doing when it came to their engineering, and as the son of an engineer I really do respect that, so having that badge on their when its not a ferrari does bother me given that, plus after using GM's Junk from the late 90's and early 2000's and hating them for it, well its just funny to think that they once did make quality products at one point. while ferrari's have always been quality, and even when they werent they were still abit better than anything GM stamped out with the eras of cars that I used from them. I mean I cant even go back to that old dealership just because of how much of a first name basis I got with them just based on how crappy that car was. as you never recover from that and that lack of trust in their work, as I was once out of their three times in one week for the F'ing thing.

and then I bought a volkswaggen lol

and in respect to the ferrari vs lambo thing it was the lambos that were slapdashed and thrown together, to the point where they'd sometimes put on a metric bolt, and a non metric one in the same build so nothing was quite ever the same on them around the time of the Urraco's introduction, as they just went off of what they had in the shop that day during the tough times in the 70's.

but that doesnt mean I cant have fun with it and aim to make it an AC Cobra fighter under the Vice City stinger name, which is one of the reasons why I really like your car sonny lol as its kinda like that really lol

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators
On February 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM, James said:

I'd choose a Daytona of a Testarossa. However, if the Daytona is the replica one from the series, in that case I'll choose the Testarossa.

Though the fake Daytona is still awesome and I'd love to own one.

Eingefügtes Bild

It's just that if I had to choose between a fake Ferrari and a real Ferrari, of course I'd choose the real Ferrari.

I'd love a real Ferrari too but in all practicality, affording the yearly maintenance would be outside most people's budget to pay for. However the fake Daytona having a corvette engine (I believe) is well within reason. Jurrasic Narc had his for many years and I'd bet maintenance on it didn't break the bank.

That said, lottery winning or just plain wealthy, ya I'd take a real Ferrari too! :)

• Administrators
3 hours ago, timm525 said:

I'd love a real Ferrari too but in all practicality, affording the yearly maintenance would be outside most people's budget to pay for. However the fake Daytona having a corvette engine (I believe) is well within reason. Jurrasic Narc had his for many years and I'd bet maintenance on it didn't break the bank.

That said, lottery winning or just plain wealthy, ya I'd take a real Ferrari too! :)

My mind has changed A LOT since I posted that :)

I'd love a fake Daytona, but I'd personally swap out the Chev V8 for a V12 from an old Jaguar XJ. They're cheap and sound great. Even a fake Ferrari should sound more like a sports car than a muscle car. :p

Ah I'm abit biased because of my bad experiences with Modern GM quite frankly lol although I still like the car hence the badge switching idea.

I mean after going to VW and seeing what you could get for 20 G with a new car with heated seats, nice interior, keyless entry, all around toll booth windows and an engine that used to be in a rally car that I liked vs 30 for a new impala that looked like it was from the 90's with that cheap cloth interior, the same old V6 they've used for 30 years that's broken on me twice and only had a toll window on the drivers side, well I never went back lol

oh and getting on a first name basis with the mechanic

and if I did it wouldnt be to that dealership if I did after what they pulled on me just around the time specter came out, oh you've won a free car, no you've one a free chance to win a car that came to nothing and we've just tricked you into coming back into our dealership and now we're gonna try and trick you into putting your name on a mailing list. which is probably what's caused this venom towards them to come back far more than it ever did before.

although it did allow me a chance to add another rule to my list of things you never do to people, never play with ones hopes and dreams.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 5 years later...

Well....... for me there is no discussion. I love the Testarossa a lot more than the "Daytona".

It just has a charm to its looks, the fact that it is a manual, the white colour, it is newer, better performance, easier while turning and taking off with the engine placement and RWD, and the fact that it looks much more baddas for DJ and PMT to arrive in this beauty at a scene, or during a chase.

It also may be that the Testarossa just fits the feel of the last 3 seasons more than the Daytona would've had. Especially because of that hard top of the Testarossa. If the car's place in time was swapped, for the sake of argument, it would've been A BIT harder to decide.

I personally do not think the "Daytona" looked bad, even if it was not an ACTUAL Ferrari. I am more on the side that "it had its place" and "a change was needed". That doesn't change the fact that I find it very distasteful that the producers resorted to a replica when the show was at its financial peak, but I have to agree that in the, mostly day-time sunny environment of the first 2 seasons, this car fits good. 

The Testarossa had 1 more advantage. It was just much more visible during night scenes/chases than the Daytona. When we got a Daytona chase during the night (for example with the Porsche during Season 2's episode "Florence Italy")

It was an awsome chase, all things considered, but the Daytona didn't stand as much as the Porsche, mainly because of the colour.

Ok ... The TestaRossa is amazing !! But I still have a crush for the Daytona ... Maybe because it was 

THE Ferrari who introduced me in thoses magnifiscent sport cars of the brand :)

Edited by Kladdagh
some details
  • Like 1

Had somebody asked me this question 10 years ago I would have surely picked Testarossa. Actually, when I was watching the show for the first time I couldn't wait for Daytona "to bite the dust". I just wanted our heroes to cruise around in an 80s vehicle, to pump up the 80sness  another notch . This is an 80s show after all!

But now I prefer Daytona. I think it stood out in a way the Testarossa never could. It was almost another character in its own right. Maybe because it was a convertible. Something was lost when they switched to a simple coupe. For example, scenes with Crockett talking on a car phone looked so much better. 

Edited by Viceguy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Viceguy said:

Had somebody asked me this question 10 years ago I would have surely picked Testarossa. Actually, when I was watching the show for the first time I couldn't wait for Daytona "to bite the dust". I just wanted our heroes to cruise around in an 80s vehicle, to pump up the 80sness  another notch . This is an 80s show after all!

But now I prefer Daytona. I think it stood out in a way the Testarossa never could. It was almost another character in its own right. Maybe because it was a convertible. Something was lost when they switched to a simple coupe. For example, scenes with Crockett talking on a car phone looked so much better. 

Totally agree! Crockett needed a convertible for better camera shots and space in general, with the Testarossa Tubbs wouldn't have been able to escape those bikers in "Milk Run" :) .The Daytona was much more low-key to help his cover as well. It's a cooler looking car imo even though its a replica.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

While it is a subjective matter; design wise we can objectively say the Testarossa  had way more elements compared to the Daytona.

Now, we can all decide how much that matters, but in my view, it does matter A LOT.

As a former Daytona owner I'm admittedly biased on the subject, but consider that the Daytona used in the 80s series was modeled on Ferrari body panels from '72 or '73 and was considered one of Ferrari's best designs then, and this car is still in demand today. Real Daytonas go for $hundreds of thousands and even a well conditioned replicar is selling at a premium based on recent cars I've seen listed including my own.  I think the Daytona body style is timeless, even now nearly 50 years later. 

• Like 2

The same way I argue against many of the decisions that Hollywood made regarding MV's later seasons, because of their lack of acknowledgment of the personality known as MIAMI city,... I argue against the Testa' for some the same reason:  it seems to be a decision that overlooks the personality of the show and it's needs.

The car is supposed to be stage dressing of the undercover cop's persona.  Tubbs doesn't drive the Caddy' cuz it's practical, he drives it because it's open-top because 'movers and shakers' full of themselves in Miami want to be 'seen' in their upholstery (and so that Rico Cooper can keep eyes on his clients from afar).  
The spider Daytona serves the same show-off purpose for Sonny Burnett.  Good advertising, the illusion of arrogance towards the police ("that criminal must have some big stones to flaunt his presence so openly and visibly when he's probably wanted in 6 counties"), and it's got the right amount of "modesty" that doesn't compete with the man's cigarette boat (the vehicle this kind of criminal is more likely using as his PRIMARY means of business).
The Testa' on the other hand is TOO slick for my take-away for Sonny.  Not the ride for someone moving illegal trade---more like the kinda car that's owned by a criminal who's primarily into performance cars and parties, who doesn't do much business by-street or dock, who does his illegal stuff mostly by phone at his designer-house and only takes a car out when it's time to arrive at someone's wealthy house with a woman sitting beside him.  (You do see THAT kind of criminal throughout the show--and it's an interesting contrast to the 'smart-trimmed working-for-a-living hood Sonny Burnett impresses me as).

I would have liked to see a couple more (don't overdo it--just one or two) chases with Sonny's Daytona whipping someone else's higher-performance car.  It would reinforce Sonny's mastery of the city he operates in.  
(Jim Rockford "won" most of his car chases NOT because he had a better car, but because he was the damn better driver.)  

But technically too, an open-top sports car makes for just way better conversation scenes between occupants.  Close-ups of two people talking beside sexy upholstery and dashboard in the bright sunshine DRIPS the flavor of Miami,..yes please!

That scene from the pilot episode, where Sonny and the fellow detective hash out that the detective had corrupted himself---and they didn't want to talk about in his home with the handicap little daughter inside there--so they talk in the "privacy" of Sonny's tiny Daytona, but Sonny eventually loses his temper and goes for the detective's throat.  It's that tiny Daytona cabin that made his violence that much more intense that I thought the cops need to get here faster and pull Sonny off this poor guy in time.  A smart director can pull off some excellent stuff with the right kind of car cabin--LOL!  

...I am not an observant enough fan--DID they ever film shots of the cops talking INSIDE the Testa'?  Or was it always just the standard through the front windscreen angle?  

Hey, and those episodes COST a bundle to make---I was blown away, I did not know Miami Vice cost so much in fees.  A well-done fake car helps ease the pain a LOT.  I understand Ferrari had a complaint, and the settlement required destroying the car on camera (...spoiled crybaby thing for a car company to request) But rather than let Ferrari "force" you to use a genuine costly model of theirs,... use another fake sports body of someone else's maker badge---Ferrari doesn't own MV, nor help write it's episodes, so they can go climb their thumb!  LOL.

Now, if we're talking about the best choice of sportster for ME, not the show...if I were dealing with Burnett and Cooper, I'd want to stand out in the Miami crowd in full effect, and drive up with THIS silver bikini magnet.  Slickest, most gutsy dealer in town---step out of my creaky hinged door, stamp my foot on the ground and say, "gimme the drugs, now!"

2013-hyundai-elantra-coupe-front-silver.jpg

• Like 1

The Daytona’s design has proven for more timeless than the Testarossa’s in many collectors eyes, and their values easily reflect this.  Testarossas can be had for well under $100k and prime examples below $200k.  Daytona’s are averaging $750k with a bottom still near $500k.

I loved the Testarossa when it debuted but it’s lines have not dated well.  It seems very much a part of the excess of the 80’s, while the Daytona’s late 60’s aesthetic seems far less extreme and generally more beautiful. Both designs are several decades old now but they have not aged similarly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pahonu said:

The Daytona’s design has proven for more timeless than the Testarossa’s in many collectors eyes, and their values easily reflect this.  Testarossas can be had for well under $100k and prime examples below $200k.  Daytona’s are averaging $750k with a bottom still near $500k.

I loved the Testarossa when it debuted but it’s lines have not dated well.  It seems very much a part of the excess of the 80’s, while the Daytona’s late 60’s aesthetic seems far less extreme and generally more beautiful. Both designs are several decades old now but they have not aged similarly.

The price diffrences are real. However, that was not my point. My point was that the Daytona has fewer design elements than the Testarossa. I did not say it doesn't have. I said the number is smaller.

Now, the price diffrence has a lot to do with the number of cars made and the demand for them. While the Testarossa has overall better performance (duh, newer car), there were over 7100 Testarossas made, while there are around 1500 Daytonas in circulation. So the supply for the Daytona is almost 5 times smaller; which is most of the price diffrence. The demand for Daytonas may play a role too; but not as much as the shorter supply of them.

15 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

The price diffrences are real. However, that was not my point. My point was that the Daytona has fewer design elements than the Testarossa. I did not say it doesn't have. I said the number is smaller.

Now, the price diffrence has a lot to do with the number of cars made and the demand for them. While the Testarossa has overall better performance (duh, newer car), there were over 7100 Testarossas made, while there are around 1500 Daytonas in circulation. So the supply for the Daytona is almost 5 times smaller; which is most of the price diffrence. The demand for Daytonas may play a role too; but not as much as the shorter supply of them.

Can you give some examples of what you mean by design elements.  Is having more design elements necessarily good and fewer, bad?  I may not be understanding the intention of that comment.

18 hours ago, pahonu said:

Can you give some examples of what you mean by design elements.  Is having more design elements necessarily good and fewer, bad?  I may not be understanding the intention of that comment.

No, neither good nor bad. But the number helps. Sure, having fewer design elements doesn't mean the car has a worse design from the start, but it does mean it is simpler. The Testarossa looks much more engaging, from the headlights to the door design and to the back. The Daytona just doesn't have that *bam*, seems less visually engaging in my opinion. You could say the Daytona is older, and sure, but this doesn't change the fact that it looks much simpler.

Now, we can all decide, but because the Testarossa looks more visually engaging than the Daytona, it is a reason for my choice. We are talking about a TV series afterall. Looks are very important, and depending on your likes and dislikes, it can change A LOT, as in my case. 

Edited by Adrian321

4 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

No, neither good nor bad. But the number helps. Sure, having fewer design elements doesn't mean the car has a worse design from the start, but it does mean it is simpler. The Testarossa looks much more engaging, from the headlights to the door design and to the back. The Daytona just doesn't have that *bam*, seems less visually engaging in my opinion. You could say the Daytona is older, and sure, but this doesn't change the fact that it looks much simpler.

Now, we can all decide, but because the Testarossa looks more visually engaging than the Daytona, it is a reason for my choice. We are talking about a TV series afterall. Looks are very important, and depending on your likes and dislikes, it can change A LOT, as in my case. 

I understand what you mean now, but I don’t agree with the final decision. :) One of things I find so striking on the Daytona is the long curving hood line that hides that V-12.  Perhaps it’s generational, but I find mid-engine cars generally less aesthetically pleasing because they lack that element.  The Testarossa also seems excessively wide in the rear, and the horizontal side strakes look overdone, kind of screaming “Hey look at me!”  To each his own of course, but simple beauty can sometimes be the most powerful.  Think: a woman in sleek little black dress versus a highly ornamented wedding gown… and they’re black and white examples too! :dance2:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pahonu said:

I understand what you mean now, but I don’t agree with the final decision. :) One of things I find so striking on the Daytona is the long curving hood line that hides that V-12.  Perhaps it’s generational, but I find mid-engine cars generally less aesthetically pleasing because they lack that element.  The Testarossa also seems excessively wide in the rear, and the horizontal side strakes look overdone, kind of screaming “Hey look at me!”  To each his own of course, but simple beauty can sometimes be the most powerful.  Think: a woman in sleek little black dress versus a highly ornamented wedding gown… and they’re black and white examples too! :dance2:

I also dissagree with your comparison to women. You forgot to mention that the "ornamented woman" who wears that dress has a pear shape (because of Testarossa's wide rear), and also overestimated how beautiful the first one is. In general, a very beautiful woman can dress way more simply and still look good. Now think about an already good looking woman dressing to catch eyes. That is gonna amplify the look by a lot.

For me it would be more like a fine looking black dress on a fine looking woman, and then a very catchy dress on a fine looking woman. Let's say both come from the same family (Ferrari), and have the same genetics. But the woman who wears the fine looking black dress is also 14 years older. A younger woman in a more ornamented gown surely attracts more, visually speaking atleast.

Again, I do not say the Daytona looks bad at all..... but I do say it just looks way too simple for my taste, and its place in time would fit more the 1960's or the 1970's than the 1980's. It doesn't have that *bam* when entering a scene, or during a chase, which is very important for TV. I never felt it, and I watched the show from Season 1 until Season 5. I may be too subjective on this one, but SO are you and everyone else.

And the colour is another problem visually. During night scenes the Daytona was a car-like silouethe with the visual emphasis on the lights. The Testarossa however is much more visisble during night scenes. Of course, this could be easily solved by changing the colour, but it wasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

I also dissagree with your comparison to women. You forgot to mention that the "ornamented woman" who wears that dress has a pear shape (because of Testarossa's wide rear), and also overestimated how beautiful the first one is. In general, a very beautiful woman can dress way more simply and still look good. Now think about an already good looking woman dressing to catch eyes. That is gonna amplify the look by a lot.

For me it would be more like a fine looking black dress on a fine looking woman, and then a very catchy dress on a fine looking woman. Let's say both come from the same family (Ferrari), and have the same genetics. But the woman who wears the fine looking black dress is also 14 years older. A younger woman in a more ornamented gown surely attracts more, visually speaking atleast.

Again, I do not say the Daytona looks bad at all..... but I do say it just looks way too simple for my taste, and its place in time would fit more the 1960's or the 1970's than the 1980's. It doesn't have that *bam* when entering a scene, or during a chase, which is very important for TV. I never felt it, and I watched the show from Season 1 until Season 5. I may be too subjective on this one, but SO are you and everyone else.

And the colour is another problem visually. During night scenes the Daytona was a car-like silouethe with the visual emphasis on the lights. The Testarossa however is much more visisble during night scenes. Of course, this could be easily solved by changing the colour, but it wasn't.

That was quite a detailed analysis of women’s age, body type, and beauty.  My analogy was referring to the same woman in both dresses, and since we’re talking about Ferraris, I would argue for a fairly beautiful woman.  The analogy still holds for me.

On a slightly different note, I think the biggest problem in using the Testarossa was it not being a convertible.  In film and television convertibles are used more frequently than they exist in reality in part because they offer more filming options.  With hardtops, DP’s become limited to dialogue close-ups from the hood or longer shots from fixed camera set-ups.  It’s less effective to shoot dialogue from another camera vehicle because the actors are more obscured and it’s a less appealing visual.  There is a conversation on this topic in a different thread somewhere around  here.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, pahonu said:

That was quite a detailed analysis of women’s age, body type, and beauty.  My analogy was referring to the same woman in both dresses, and since we’re talking about Ferraris, I would argue for a fairly beautiful woman.  The analogy still holds for me.

On a slightly different note, I think the biggest problem in using the Testarossa was it not being a convertible.  In film and television convertibles are used more frequently than they exist in reality in part because they offer more filming options.  With hardtops, DP’s become limited to dialogue close-ups from the hood or longer shots from fixed camera set-ups.  It’s less effective to shoot dialogue from another camera vehicle because the actors are more obscured and it’s a less appealing visual.  There is a conversation on this topic in a different thread somewhere around  here.

I actually agree with you here. The Daytona's biggest advantage was its convertibility, and I agree it was much clearer and easier to shoot scenes like this.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just huh, I still cant believe this, its a 40 degree dark dingy day here in MA, miserable grey, kinda meh, the kinda day that really makes you wanna just stay indoors

and I'm on my way to get some things sorted with a financial advisor, one with the express purpose to help me GET OUT OF HERE in addition to all the daytona stuff I still wanna do, but man does MA suck for convertibles lol and I'm on the way to pick something up

and in weston MA, as in Michael weston, on my way there, I see a legitimate, black, REAL. Ferrari, Datyona, SPIDER, with the knock off rims, not the borrani's, the one the one in the gumball rally had, ITS 40 Degrees out, the roadwork is terrible, the guy has the roof up and is driving it around

and its just how, what why and HUH?! WHAT the hell is THIS DOING HERE lol

like first I watch the long goodbye which was a damn good philip marlow film that actually has it in it, and I'm thinking to myself damn that thing is small

and now the geniune one, is less than 20 miles away from me lol

and the thing is small, it looks like an alfa with a much bigger bonnet, think like a 156 from the day of the jackal like when they called the first ferrari spyders Barchetta's little boats they werent kidding

but it has the kind of pressence of an Auburn Speedster, with its long hood, like this classical sort of style to it, and the windshield trim is completely chrome, like car 1 was actually closer to how the thing looks in person with how much chrome it has

like its just like, I have so many questions, but if you live in MA, be on the lookout for a daytona spider in WESTON MA lol

actually great now I'm gonna have to see if theirs any carshows out there lol

like HOW is THIS HERE OF ALL PLACES, like not Miami, Not Puerto Rico where I saw the countach, not Autostadt where they had the Lp400 prototype in green and that sad sad miura that's been fixed up since then that was missing the badge

NO ITS MY DAMN BACKYARD lol

like now I know how doug demiro felt about the damn GT that he just bought lol

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 3