JonnyDaytona

Daytona VS Testarossa. Have at it!

Sonny-Burnett

Done to death, but new board, new thread! I love the Daytona so much, I changed my name. I think this classic beast (in keeping with the other classic cars) was the slickest, best looking car of the series. Elegant and deadly in those epic night shots, C&T looked great jumping in and out of it.... The Daytona to me, is a classical beauty. Timeless like my all time favourite car and sexiest beast ever built, the E-type Jag. The Testarossa to me, was not without merit....just not my first choice. :rauchen:

Wonder where JonnyDaytona went to? An interesting thread that may need reviving. :)

James

I'd choose a Daytona of a Testarossa. However, if the Daytona is the replica one from the series, in that case I'll choose the Testarossa.

Though the fake Daytona is still awesome and I'd love to own one.

Eingefügtes Bild

It's just that if I had to choose between a fake Ferrari and a real Ferrari, of course I'd choose the real Ferrari.

Edited by SL1DE

Sonny-Burnett
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2010 at 5:20 PM, CameraDaytona said:

I would guess the Daytona will hold its own (vs. the Testarossa) in the straight line, but I would stay away from the road courses. It would be really interesting to find out the answer though. (The C3 Corvette chassis, which is basically the same as the C2 chassis developed in the early 60s, needs some significant modification to compete with 80s technology.)

Revving an old thread again, as I have an optional racing suspension added to my C3 frame (confirmed by mechanics who saw the heavy duty springs and suspension), and a front cross bar that was more designed for a light pick-up truck lol, I'd say mine could handle the curves at least as well as the boxy Testa on a curved course. It rides stiff for sure because of this, but does take turns at high speed with relative ease.

Kavinsky

It does say something that the old C4 chassis is still basically the C3 one save for a few key updates though, a front leaf spring that acts as an anti roll bar, rack and pinion steering, updated brakes and a 4 piece rear end, and probably abit better QC on the wields and it did need extra bracing to make up for that removed X brace from the C1, that was probably removed to remove 300 pounds of weight to help the handling

and GM managed to re engineer that to do a 180 MPH in the ZR1 back in 89, so just because its old doesnt mean you throw it out or say its inferior, its just like all muscle cars of that era, they sometimes need some reinforcement in the chassis, and some of them handled quite well as is because they were tooled right from the getgo

Key words, Torsion bar suspension, IE more anti roll bars and stiffness to get that out of a car running on Pollyglass

and key word here, Hotchkiss suspension. 

and Oldsmobile, the more I look into the 442, the more it seems like they really knew what they were doing with it

350 CI engine with 454 valves to get around the high insurance premiums with an aluminum block? now that's clever

so its all about how you set it up

plus ferrari and jaguar both used GM transmissions in their own cars, the 350 400 auto transmission , and some 1960's manufacturers from italy used american motors in their cars, the ISO grifo and one of valentino balbonis favorite cars used a chevy 327 in it. so they must have thought that our stuff was up to their standard if they used it in their cars. and an american designed the fiat 124 spider for them in the first place.

although I gotta admit I agree with james, when faced between a fake and a real one, of course you always go for the real one

but it doesnt mean you dont and cant have fun with it, hell I kinda have this idea about maybe renaming the thing the vice city stinger, using this as one of the badges

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-GRAND-THEFT-AUTO-VICE-CITY-PALM-TREE-SWIZZLE-STICK-COCKTAIL-STIRRER-/222090108581?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

given that my introduction to miami vice was through that game, not the show itself. or maybe rigging that up to say Miami Vice, and then daytona on the trunk, as that does bother me even though I do love the car, as the more I look into the testarossa the more respect I have for it, as its basically a daytona made for the 1980's

and the more I look into it the more I realize that ferrari knew what it was doing when it came to their engineering, and as the son of an engineer I really do respect that, so having that badge on their when its not a ferrari does bother me given that, plus after using GM's Junk from the late 90's and early 2000's and hating them for it, well its just funny to think that they once did make quality products at one point. while ferrari's have always been quality, and even when they werent they were still abit better than anything GM stamped out with the eras of cars that I used from them. I mean I cant even go back to that old dealership just because of how much of a first name basis I got with them just based on how crappy that car was. as you never recover from that and that lack of trust in their work, as I was once out of their three times in one week for the F'ing thing.

and then I bought a volkswaggen lol

and in respect to the ferrari vs lambo thing it was the lambos that were slapdashed and thrown together, to the point where they'd sometimes put on a metric bolt, and a non metric one in the same build so nothing was quite ever the same on them around the time of the Urraco's introduction, as they just went off of what they had in the shop that day during the tough times in the 70's.

but that doesnt mean I cant have fun with it and aim to make it an AC Cobra fighter under the Vice City stinger name, which is one of the reasons why I really like your car sonny lol as its kinda like that really lol

Edited by Kavinsky

timm525
On February 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM, James said:

I'd choose a Daytona of a Testarossa. However, if the Daytona is the replica one from the series, in that case I'll choose the Testarossa.

Though the fake Daytona is still awesome and I'd love to own one.

Eingefügtes Bild

It's just that if I had to choose between a fake Ferrari and a real Ferrari, of course I'd choose the real Ferrari.

I'd love a real Ferrari too but in all practicality, affording the yearly maintenance would be outside most people's budget to pay for. However the fake Daytona having a corvette engine (I believe) is well within reason. Jurrasic Narc had his for many years and I'd bet maintenance on it didn't break the bank.

That said, lottery winning or just plain wealthy, ya I'd take a real Ferrari too! :)

James
3 hours ago, timm525 said:

I'd love a real Ferrari too but in all practicality, affording the yearly maintenance would be outside most people's budget to pay for. However the fake Daytona having a corvette engine (I believe) is well within reason. Jurrasic Narc had his for many years and I'd bet maintenance on it didn't break the bank.

That said, lottery winning or just plain wealthy, ya I'd take a real Ferrari too! :)

My mind has changed A LOT since I posted that :)

I'd love a fake Daytona, but I'd personally swap out the Chev V8 for a V12 from an old Jaguar XJ. They're cheap and sound great. Even a fake Ferrari should sound more like a sports car than a muscle car. :p

Kavinsky

Ah I'm abit biased because of my bad experiences with Modern GM quite frankly lol although I still like the car hence the badge switching idea.

I mean after going to VW and seeing what you could get for 20 G with a new car with heated seats, nice interior, keyless entry, all around toll booth windows and an engine that used to be in a rally car that I liked vs 30 for a new impala that looked like it was from the 90's with that cheap cloth interior, the same old V6 they've used for 30 years that's broken on me twice and only had a toll window on the drivers side, well I never went back lol

oh and getting on a first name basis with the mechanic

and if I did it wouldnt be to that dealership if I did after what they pulled on me just around the time specter came out, oh you've won a free car, no you've one a free chance to win a car that came to nothing and we've just tricked you into coming back into our dealership and now we're gonna try and trick you into putting your name on a mailing list. which is probably what's caused this venom towards them to come back far more than it ever did before.

although it did allow me a chance to add another rule to my list of things you never do to people, never play with ones hopes and dreams.

Edited by Kavinsky