The Best of Miami Vice CD

MVfan

I'm considering buying The Best of Miami Vice, since I wasn't fortunate enough to get a copy of The Complete Collection. I've read some information saying that some of the tracks on The Best of were revised from the originals, and was just wondering if anyone here has this album. How many of the tracks were redone?

great avatar!!there is one song that is exclusive to this disc called "south beach". it is a new song (2004), but jan says he wrote it during the mv days. i guess it just never made it to the surface. regardless, it is a cool song, but it is made with all new instruments (korg triton and z1). i will say that the lead sounds like it is from the old memorymoog that jan did most of the heavy rock sound leads with in the show. it is pictured in my signature below. the solo on this one is just awesome. south beach sounds very much like the more modern originals by steven dolby, rick leon, dashn, and some of the others you may be familiar with from jan-hammer dot net. i'd love to hear this song with the old original MV instruments. maybe i'll make a cover of it one day when i run out of vice tunes to do.also, the mv theme and crx theme are new versions with new drum sounds. the drum sounds are kind of weak, imo. i prefer the old "rude" ones. the lead parts on them are also new (or at least different), and they ROCK!!! this is the best part of the whole thing. i wish these solos had been in the originals. jan really blows it up on here.the rest is the same as other releases. it's a good set, and a great alternative to the $250 INcomplete collection.the liner notes also have some cool pics jan in his studio from the 2004 era. this is the same studio he recorded the mv score in back in the day.i highly recommend this cd to any jh/vice fan who doesn't have it.

Thanks, Dadrian, I appreciate the info. I was going back and forth on whether or not to buy it based on some mixed reviews that I read elsewhere, but your comments helped. It sounds like it's a good one!:radio:Thanks also for the nod to my avatar (credit to Shill who created it for me) - a scene from my absolute favorite ep!

glad to help.i thought that looked like a shill-atar. DM is my favorite ep, too.

great avatar!!there is one song that is exclusive to this disc called "south beach". it is a new song (2004)' date=' but jan says he wrote it during the mv days. i guess it just never made it to the surface. regardless, it is a cool song, but it is made with all new instruments (korg triton and z1). i will say that the lead sounds like it is from the old memorymoog that jan did most of the heavy rock sound leads with in the show. it is pictured in my signature below. the solo on this one is just awesome. south beach sounds very much like the more modern originals by steven dolby, rick leon, dashn, and some of the others you may be familiar with from jan-hammer dot net. i'd love to hear this song with the old original MV instruments. maybe i'll make a cover of it one day when i run out of vice tunes to do.also, the mv theme and crx theme are new versions with new drum sounds. the drum sounds are kind of weak, imo. i prefer the old "rude" ones. the lead parts on them are also new (or at least different), and they ROCK!!! this is the best part of the whole thing. i wish these solos had been in the originals. jan really blows it up on here.the rest is the same as other releases. it's a good set, and a great alternative to the $250 INcomplete collection.the liner notes also have some cool pics jan in his studio from the 2004 era. this is the same studio he recorded the mv score in back in the day.i highly recommend this cd to any jh/vice fan who doesn't have it.[/quote']Dadrian, remember, SOUTH BEACH is not on all the BEST OF MIAMI VICE cds. Originally, they were exclusive to FYE music outlets, otherwise, "CANDY" is in it's place. I know some members here don't have this track on thier cds. I do think SOUTH BEACH may be available on some european cds now.

Dadrian' date=' remember, SOUTH BEACH is not on all the BEST OF MIAMI VICE cds. Originally, they were exclusive to FYE music outlets, otherwise, "CANDY" is in it's place. I know some members here don't have this track on thier cds. I do think SOUTH BEACH may be available on some european cds now.[/quote']My version has South Beach and Candy. Not sure what version I have though, I got it from JB Hi-Fi here in Sydney.

Yes, some versions have both songs, but some don't have SOUTH BEACH.I think it's more common now. I remember seeing it for sale in TOWER RECORDS when it still existed, and the version sold there did NOT have SOUTH BEACH.For those who want this cd, make certain SOUTH BEACH is featured on it.

• 4 weeks later...