Episode #10 "Give A Little Take A Little"

Ferrariman

Another good part to this episode is this is the first time we get to see Tubbs' Cadillac Convertible! The Ferraris were cool...but I've always loved the Caddy and the color--it was totally "MV!" :thumbsup:

so this was the first episode.....I always wondered when the caddy came. Good info

since I really like the early episodes the best, I give this one a 5 as its not good, but not bad either, sorta filler while on a DVD watching spree that develops Ginas character a bit more series wise, but its an utterly forgettable episode

so this was the first episode.....I always wondered when the caddy came. Good info

Yup...the Caddy and Gina...you can't do much better than that!:thumbsup: Now, if only those aspects had been focused on in a much better episode! ;)

I am shocked that she didn't have a gun or anything to protect herself. Man....who knows what she had to do. Sad....I liked the noogie parts "We'll go ahead home boy and tell them what you told me...", but it's one episode I skip almost every time. I bet I haven't seen it all year. It was probably good for ratings....Vice was hot and couldn't do no wrong. Plus, all that stuff (Gina being raped, Crockett going to jail, the caddy car chase, etc.) was new to TV.

The episode was definitely not one of the best or most memorable...but I did like the Gina storyline and I thought it was interesting how serious she took her job and cover. However, she should have stopped it before it went that far.Saundra Santiago, and her character of Gina Calabrese, was one of my favorite aspects to the show...so I always like the episodes and/or parts of the episodes that deal with her. For this particular episode they should have left all that other silly "Crockett sideline" story out and dealt specifically with the Gina one.

• 6 months later...

One of the best episodes of VICE!!!:happy::happy::clap: Bobby Roth shows us a shattering episode , but with a breeze of good humour (Noogie and Stan ).:DAs noted, the story begins with two completely different strands of the plot and ends at one man - Ramirez! There are many charakters, so at first it's difficult to pull them together, but finally they unravel themself.On the one hand, the hard official handling of informants is shown very detailed and realistically which leads to the fact that the police officer stays longer in jail than the gangster.:sick:On the other hand, the episode gives us an understanding of the dangerous undercover-life of VICE cops!:clap:It's also very realistic that they haven't everything under control. Especially in the first episodes you notice that Gina and Trudy are almost to youthful for this kind of job, so it's natural that they can't handle each situation perfectly.The contrast between Gina appearing in hooker-clothes and in her pink bath robe is also excellently because on the one hand she's the powerful woman, but otherwise she's the helpless girl.:cry:Moreover there are cool club-scenes and terrfic (neon) colours (for example Gina's flat).:happy:Sonny is dressed brilliantly (blue jacket, green, sleeveless shirt) as always and music is extremely amazing: Today's a Beginning by Jill Colluci is absolutely wonderful, unfortunately it isn't released.:radio::cry:(the finale scenes with that song are so emotional:happy:)Also Better To Be Good To Me by Tina Turner and You Want More by Etta James are also fantastic.10 of 10 points.

• Like 1

Not one I watch often, but one that I'm always reminded of when I see Gina. I think "Bought and paid for" brings her characters sympathetic touch out well, and the situation that time works for her character. Too bad there were so few Gina episodes. She did have a unique role that, along with Trudy, kinda got second seat in later seasons.

• 3 months later...

Give A Little, Take A Little10. Give A Little, Take A LittleI will say that this episode does have it low and high points. The low point being that this episode has the two worst Miami Vice actors in the whole shows run. Those being Bob Rickert and his wife. Bob was awful enough but then the kitchen scene with his wife was very laughable. Also, I cannot believe that Crockett’s theme was even associated with these two. The other low of this episode is the choppy editing at times. That being said, Crockett and Gina steal the show this episode. We get to see Crockett go to all lengths to protect an informant. I do like how he does spend more time in the slam than Alvarado. I’m not sure why Gina just didn’t pull a gun on Ramirez before he had his way with her. Maybe she wasn’t packing? Good to see Stan and Zito also start to get some air time. In the end, Crockett’s theme was great music wise but I can’t get back the horrible acting of the Rickert’s. 8/10

• 1 year later...

First off, i'll say this..I'm a big Rocky fan, and this was by far Burt Young's worst acting performance I've ever seen him in. Terrible, he just couldn't pull off the accent or anything, why'd they let him drink on set? Oh well....Then Bob and his wife were super pitiful at acting, just so bland, generic, stiff and HORRIBLE. Downright horrible. The plot should've been the focus on Crockett going to jail for the informant, but they switched it around, oh well. Not the worst episode of Vice, but one of my least favourite of Season 1 as it's average. Stan and Zito were the best part of the episode with the stand-up comedy at the end.6/10

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
This episode is not really that cool or special. It's by no means the worst of first season' date=' but it still is just sort of an "average" episode.I did not really care for or like the storyline of Crockett's informant and him spending time in jail for refusing to reveal the name. I also didn't think the actor (Lenny Von Dohlen) playing the goofy informant Bob Rickert, was very good or believable.The best part and/or storyline in this episode was with Gina and her emotional dilemma of getting too caught up in her case. I thought Saundra Santiago did a superb job and you really "felt" for her. Of course we all love Crockett and Tubbs--but in many ways Gina is my favorite edition to the Vice team...and I love the episodes that deal with or focus on her.Another good part to this episode is this is the first time we get to see Tubbs' Cadillac Convertible! The Ferraris were cool...but I've always loved the Caddy and the color--it was totally "MV!" :thumbsup:Because of Gina's part/performance in this episode and the introduction of the Caddy--I gave it a 7. Otherwise, I would've voted it lower.[/quote']This was my original statement and rating of this episode. It's pretty much still the same. I again still loved seeing the introduction to Tubb's Caddy!! :thumbsup: Loved that car , and the color was so awesome and "screamed" MIAMI VICE! :D I also still love seeing Gina (Saundra Santiago) "shine", and even her and Trudy disagreeing over some of Gina's choices or decisions. But, they all still come together and support/love each other at the end. That's the "little" things that really make a show...the chemistry and reactions of the characters. :clap:

• 1 year later...

Give a Little, Take a Little: (1984)

Not one of my favorite episodes but I enjoyed seeing a bit more of Zito, Switek, Trudy and Gina even though I felt very sad for her but again she should have listened to Trudy and not went to Ramirez place alone.

Burt Young came off a bit weird as the bad guy, the voice in the beginning seemed like it was being dubbed by someone else, but it turned out better later on I think.

Nice to see Switek working on his comedy act, and Zito clearly had a great time.

6/10

• 1 month later...

Burt Young was doing an accent? Man he was bad in this!!

I never liked this episode but watched it tonight & it wasn't bad. The informant plot was pretty good but poorly acted as everyone has stated. 6/10

• 5 months later...

I have to say that I didn't really like this one except for the scenery, Crockett's outfits (very nice color combinations, I especially liked the pastel blue with the mint green), and the music. I agree that it was badly edited, and that the Bob guy and his wife were very terrible actors, so terrible that it makes you as the viewer not really care what happens to his character and therefore not be emotionally invested in how Crockett goes through such trouble for him. The Bob guy was so stupid that I just didn't care about what happened to him so it's hard to believe that Sonny would care either. It's hard to be engaged in a episode when the characters are as bland and terribly acted/scripted as Bob. I know I wouldn't to go to jail for this Bob idiot. The only thing that makes it a little bit easier is that perhaps Sonny only didn't reveal him because he was afraid other informants would no longer trust him if word got out, and he'd be seen by them as just another cop, so he'd lose valuable info he needed. Also it goes back to Leon in the first episode, and how Crockett felt bad about how that guy was killed after being revealed in court.  But other than that, there was no reason at all to care about a measly idiot like Bob or why Sonny would jeopardize his career over him and also pretty much almost blow the case because of it.

The part where Sonny was being his usual roguish self were okay, but this episode made Tubbs feel almost like an afterthought, he was so quiet in this episode and was basically just there to be Sonny's shadow.I also felt bad for what they did to Gina as a character. They made her look weak and dumb, and that's definitely not what a character like her is supposed to be at all.  I agree with what others have said here. It didn't make any sense why she felt forced to sleep with him. It doesn't even matter that she didn't bring a gun (which by the way, she should have, since that's something any half-competent cop would automatically know to do), but even when she made a dumb mistake like that, she still has plenty of room to save herself but instead made an even bigger and dumber mistake by doing nothing like an idiot when in fact,  she's a trained police officer, and he's a older fat guy, not much of a match there at all. It's unbelievable that she felt so powerless and helpless, when she had the training to easily get out of such a situation. Looking at her and what she does in the club scene during the Calderone's Return episode for example, it's hard to believe that this is the same character. It's absurd how they made her behave in this episode. The only thing really enjoyable about this episode were the parts where it showed Miami in a sunny day time, and also at night, and some of the buildings it showed. Basically, the scenery is the only thing that saved this one from being a dump episode. Alvarado played by a young Madsen at the end was another one of the few good things about this about this, but he had about three lines, so it had little effect. Not as bad as trainwreck episodes like Missing Hours, but definitely one of the weak episodes in the series. 

Edited by viceystyle

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Good:

Gina's storyline. Love the scenery. Always good to see Noogie. Good music. Switek's stand up.

The Bad:

Crockett in jail. The guy who played Bob and his wife. WTF. The editing is pretty weird in this episode.

6/10

• 2 months later...

Loved this episode but Remington is correct - rewatching on blu ray the editing from the director ( Bobby Roth)  is quite sharp in places . 9/10

:hippie:

On 4/30/2017 at 7:14 PM, Remington said:

The Good:

Gina's storyline. Love the scenery. Always good to see Noogie. Good music. Switek's stand up.

The Bad:

Crockett in jail. The guy who played Bob and his wife. WTF. The editing is pretty weird in this episode.

6/10

Ha ha yes Bob and his wife ?! Some of the worst acting and dialogue of the whole 5 years :D

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This is one of the episodes that distinguish Miami Vice from other cop or drama shows. When Gina couldn't get  out of her dreadful predicament without sleeping with Ramirez, it showed that her job involved swimming in dangerous waters where real sharks sometimes bite real people. I don't recall ever seeing another TV show where a cop playing a prostitute was ever forced to go all the way or to blow her cover and probably get killed for it. Harsh ? Yes, but I bet it has really happened in police work in real life. Miami Vice had the guts to show dirt and grime that other shows of the time wouldn't show. I rate it a 9 of 10.  Only the unresolved ending of Gina shooting him and apparently either missing him or getting away with it stops me from giving it a 10.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Going to watch this one tonight - looking forward to it. Gina looked so hot in this one. =)

Guess I can predict your rating for this one!! :)

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

Always look forward to this one. Very good guest stars as well with Madsen, Young and the excellent Plana.

8/10 - based on the seriousness of what happened to Gina. The music is great and Stan and Zito have there funny moments in the nightclub.

Edited by RedDragon86

12 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Guess I can predict your rating for this one!! :)

Thoroughly enjoyed it 9.5/10, the only thing that lets this episode down is the very poor acting in two scenes by the informant and his wife in their home! But otherwise great story, music and locations as well as Gina!  Good to see Burt Young (Paulie in the Rocky Movies) star in this one also.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 8:06 AM, Matt5 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed it 9.5/10, the only thing that lets this episode down is the very poor acting in two scenes by the informant and his wife in their home! But otherwise great story, music and locations as well as Gina!  Good to see Burt Young (Paulie in the Rocky Movies) star in this one also.

The strange thing is the guy who acts below par at home with his wife but was perfectly fine at the lockup scene with Sonny and Tubb's. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1