Season 5: Overall Assessment

rodriguezisdead

McCarthy was alright, but I didn't find it to be the best. Though I did like the music, but the boat chase dragged for a bit more than it should. Either way I still enjoyed it for what it was.

Although I'm not a fan of Season 4, I started rewatching it recently and do gotta agree Death and the Lady was surprisingly better than I remember, very haunting and and a guilt trip into Crockett's mind. I also loved Child's Play, another pyshco wreck on Crockett's mind as he battled with the notion of having shot a little kid etc. But then we have the whole Davies arc and crap like the sci fi stuff and well, you know. :/

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, Leigh Burne said:

I've never thought season 5 was poor. I actually thought it was much better than the previous season, if only because it was tonally so much more consistent. In fact, the season opener "Hostile Takeover" is a contender for my favourite ever episode of the show.

Season 5 is much better than season 4. Maybe me saying its a poor season was harsh, a tad disappointing and that was mainly to do with Don. I just think that Sonny could have been a bit more enthusiastic. I heard that its to do with burnout but Rico is his usual self and he has been through a lot.

I actually enjoy most of S5 :)

Edited by RedDragon86

27 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Crockett's hair in 5 looked like my spaghetti.

I loved his hair in Season 5. But I loved his hair in all the other seasons too, except Season 3. The change from Season 2 to 3 was too drastic fo me!

• Like 2

Re:The "early seasons vs. later seasons" argument, for every Missing Hours, you also have a Made for Each Other. Bad episodes were far from being confined to the later seasons and there were definitely some rough ones early on.

That said, I definitely think the worst of the inconsistency came in later during the show's run. Season 2 is probably the best it ever got across an entire season while season 4 is easily the worst - still some genuinely excellent stuff in there, but across the 22 episodes it's all over the place. It doesn't help as well that it basically turns into the Don Johnson Show.

I've always thought 5 was a marked step up and generally pretty solid, with most of the glaring problems being down to the show's obviously dwindling budget. (Shoddy special effects, characters often absent, marked decrease in quality and quantity of the music etc.) I enjoy episodes such as "Hostile Takeover", "Line of Fire", "Hard Knocks", "Over the Line", "Victims of Circumstance" and "Too Much Too Late" as much as anything from earlier in the show's run. And I still have a soft spot for the finale.

5 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

I loved his hair in Season 5. But I loved his hair in all the other seasons too, except Season 3. The change from Season 2 to 3 was too drastic fo me!

I love his enormous hair in the last season too :D

Edited by Leigh Burne
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Oh I do too, I was just makin' a joke about it lol

Though I like his Season 2 hair the best, 3 was surely drastic but it still suited him. 4 was like, halfway spaghetti but still decent and 5 was like "f**k this I'm done!" Lol

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Though I like his Season 2 hair the best, 3 was surely drastic but it still suited him. 4 was like, halfway spaghetti but still decent and 5 was like "f**k this I'm done!" Lol

LOL! When I first saw Season 3's opening episode, I thought he'd stuck his finger in an electric socket! I had to hide my eyes for an hour!!! :o

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

LOL! When I first saw Season 3's opening episode, I thought he'd stuck his finger in an electric socket! I had to hide my eyes for an hour!!! :o

Who decision do you think it was to style his hair like that in season 3, his own or his hair stylist?

2 hours ago, Assasinge said:

:DIt was a lions mane.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Who decision do you think it was to style his hair like that in season 3, his own or his hair stylist?

I never heard but I have a feeling it might have been his decision. I'll do a little digging. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Blowin' in the wind like a hurricane.

;)

In Freefall he has the same look as Michael Douglas in Romancing The Stone.

Image result for romancing the stone michael douglasImage result for miami vice freefall sonny

That stupid hat :D

Edited by RedDragon86

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

Image result for romancing the stone michael douglasImage result for miami vice freefall sonny

That stupid hat.

Oh, hey! Look at that!! The similarities are striking!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

That stupid hat.

I have to say that the look is better on Douglas in this picture. The hat is awful on DJ. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjcmmv said:

I have to say that the look is better on Douglas in this picture. The hat is awful on DJ. 

The hat he wore in Calderone's Demise looked much better. 

Image result for Calderone's Demise

• Like 1

Yes and his hair was shorter in Season 1. It wasn't a good look with his hair in Season 5. 

Here are two good Season 3 looks, so I guess I should back down a little. LOL

miami-vice-dj-25.jpg.37a869d1c75772f6693800d70e7f9b3b.jpg.6ae453d4e45b2dd50ab85b803db0d8a5.jpg103121929.thumb.jpg.b0406e5dddce4be58d6f3e42c2dbc9ab.jpg.b1276377802b987109aa012a42b38e86.jpg

• Like 2

I never understood why the finale wasn't paying any homage to the aspect of the show. Should have been set mainly in Miami, main location the Miami strip, the palm trees and the beach, nightclub scenes etc and everybody had equal screentime in the team. Michael Mann should have a wrote the episode with Paul Michael Glaser directing or John Nicollela.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

I never understood why the finale wasn't paying any homage to the aspect of the show. Should have been set mainly in Miami, main location the Miami strip, the palm trees and the beach, nightclub scenes etc and everybody had equal screentime in the team. Michael Mann should have a wrote the episode with Paul Michael Glaser directing or John Nicollela.

Mann never wrote an episode, so why start at the end? No matter what he said after the fact I always got the impression he was more into the visuals and was content to leave the writing to others. For at least half the first season it was clearly his visuals and Yerkovich’s writing ideas in any case. 

19 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Mann never wrote an episode, so why start at the end? No matter what he said after the fact I always got the impression he was more into the visuals and was content to leave the writing to others. For at least half the first season it was clearly his visuals and Yerkovich’s writing ideas in any case. 

Maybe as a tribute to the show.

11 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Maybe as a tribute to the show.

That just never struck me as his style. I would have been more interested in EJO writing an episode. His imprint was the most consistent throughout the seasons.