Episode #93 - Heart of Night

miamijimf

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 3:20am by DaytonVicer I'll be Mr. Obvious and start the thread for this episode since we know the shootout with Castillo at the hotel was filmed at an Embassy Suites. The interiors of the one at the airport still seem to match the decor in this 1988 episode.Funny how Howie Wong comes back as Mai Ying's husband in this one.

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 4:24am by KingOfViceCityYes, it is the Embassy Suites Hotel at the Airport. It's address is 3974 NW South River Drive. It's such a beautiful hotel. I love that location. One of my favourite locations of the series. And I loved the sequence from Heart of Night there with the song 'Blood Money'. Great stuff

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:51am by Tom71here are the other locations of that ep: Villa Viscaya, 3252 S.Miami Ave, Coconut Grove (teaser - Equador, final scene), 3351 Poinciana Ave, Coconut Grove (Castillo’s house), Embassy Suites Hotel Miami Airport, 3974 NW South River Drive (shoot out in hotel), 1720 W 28St. Sunset Island 1, Miami Beach (Rivas´ house), Knollwood Drive+Island Drive, Key Biscayne (May Ying´s car is stopped), Dodge Island Port of Miami (boxes are loaded), Harbor Drive/Crandon Bvd, Key Biscayne (Ma Sek on the phone), Bill Baggs State Park Cape Florida (Truck is stopped by Rivas men), APA International Air 6465 und MIA/CFS, 6485 NW 18 St Building 2143, Miami (Ma Sek´s Motel room, warehouse shoot out), Merrill Stevens Dry Dock 881 NW 13 Ave Miami (fight Castillo-Ma Sek, night scenes at the pier).

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 5:45am by airtommyThanks, Tom! It's interesting that they went all the way to Key Biscayne to film that one little scene. Maybe it was easier to block off streets there. A couple of questions: APA International Air 6465 und MIA/CFS, 6485 NW 18 St Building 2143, Miami (Ma Sek´s Motel room, warehouse shoot out) I was confused by this address, but now I see it's actually in the middle of the airport. There is a dining scene at "Chop Suey". The main Google hit is this place. However, I think the better candidates are at 8275 W Flagler St and 7199 W Flagler St, because those are near the airport and other filming locations.

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:45am by Tom71the dining scene was shot in Greenwich Studios. All addresses are from the daily production sheets. The exterior of Chop Suey was used from stock footage or a second unit shooting. There was more than one scene shot in Key Biscayne e.g. May Ying´s abduction and the truck heist.

Miami Vice Google Earth Shooting Locations

Posted: 22 August 2008 at 3:20am by DaytonVicer I'll be Mr. Obvious and start the thread for this episode since we know the shootout with Castillo at the hotel was filmed at an Embassy Suites. The interiors of the one at the airport still seem to match the decor in this 1988 episode.Funny how Howie Wong comes back as Mai Ying's husband in this one.

You are so right-HOWIE WONG! I never realized he and Mai Ying's husband in this episode were one and the same. That is so funny!!!

• 3 years later...

Watched this episode last nite - good locations in this episode - particularly the Key Biscayne car scenes . But I struggled with the dark content and violence particularly towards May Ying ( hit/ rape ?) .

• 1 year later...

Good episode - 8/10 :thumbsup: As Matt said, good locations in this one. :cool:

I have just published this episode on my season 5 site. I have a few minor edits to complete tonight but it is now published. Enjoy

• Like 1

I have just published this episode on my season 5 site. I have a few minor edits to complete tonight but it is now published. Enjoy

I have missed your episode location additions for a long time! Great work and what a labour of love regarding scrutiny of the locations during driving scene segments. (For those who are not familiar with location hunting: These driving segment locations are mostly not even contained in the daily production reports!)I am glad that they did not shoot the final scene on a beach with Castillo walking off as originally intended in the script. The pier at Viscaya and May Ying leaving fits better. For the location buffs it is clear that they indeed filmed sunrise here and not sunset as the pier is facing east. According to production report it was the first scene of the episode (and the whole season) on 15 Sep 1988 at 7am. The Crockett scene in OCB was not shot with this ep according to reports, thus I suspect it was filmed with the next episode that Don directed and edited later into Heart of Night. Edited by Tom

I have missed your episode location additions for a long time! Great work and what a labour of love regarding scrutiny of the locations during driving scene segments. (For those who are not familiar with location hunting: These driving segment locations are mostly not even contained in the daily production reports!)I am glad that they did not shoot the final scene on a beach with Castillo walking off as originally intended in the script. The pier at Viscaya and May Ying leaving fits better. For the location buffs it is clear that they indeed filmed sunrise here and not sunset as the pier is facing east. According to production report it was the first scene of the episode (and the whole season) on 15 Sep 1988 at 7am. The Crockett scene in OCB was not shot with this ep according to reports, thus I suspect it was filmed with the next episode that Don directed and edited later into Heart of Night.

Fixed a few typos and at the same time I added the info you posted here about the filming of the final scene. Hope you don't mind , of course I credited you as the source of the info.

Great updates Jeremy - just did not enjoy this dark episode . Poor without DJ - the opening credits with Crockett in the Ocb was great though :D

Loved the fact they shot the teaser in the visitors area of Villa Vizcaya

I normally bypass this episode due to the dark and violent content ( to May Ying mainly ) and terrible acting from Rivas

There is no DJ at all ( except for a moment during opening credits - first time in Jeans ) and that spoils this episode for me 

:D  :fireworks:

• 1 year later...

This is setup shot for the restaurant where Ma Sek poisons the two guys.  Note the unique feature of bay windows jutting out onto the sidewalk.

Heart_Night.png

The same neon "Chop Suey Chinese Kitchen" sign appears in the movie "Waiting For Guffman", though they show it from a different angle.  To me, this makes it very likely that the restaurant was in Los Angeles.  You can see it at the start of this clip:

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2016 at 1:54 AM, airtommy said:

This is setup shot for the restaurant where Ma Sek poisons the two guys.  Note the unique feature of bay windows jutting out onto the sidewalk.

Heart_Night.png

The same neon "Chop Suey Chinese Kitchen" sign appears in the movie "Waiting For Guffman", though they show it from a different angle.  To me, this makes it very likely that the restaurant was in Los Angeles.  You can see it at the start of this clip:

LA E1st Street

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80c2c647eae7e231:0xb8f1d3caed65369f!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/chop%2Bsuey%2Bchinese%2Bkitchen%2Brestaurant%2Blos%2Bangeles/@34.0495774,-118.2397357,3a,75y,48.33h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sSYU5QVWc-insT4KUHOLLrw*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0xb8f1d3caed65369f!5schop+suey+chinese+kitchen+restaurant+los+angeles+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sSYU5QVWc-insT4KUHOLLrw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpxtfC5rPMAhVCVBQKHRZDApoQpx8IZTAK