Victims of Circumstance

miamijimf

Posted: 25 July 2007 at 11:41am by Matt5So in the Teaser ,in one of the opening scenes ,- Sonny and Rico are outside a cafe, waiting in the Caddy, before shots are fired in the cafe. This is at 1608 Alton Road, Miami Beach (the cafe). They are parked just opposite in front of a building which is still there Today ( opposite the cafe with dark green canopy/next to McDonalds restaurant ) . Then you see the Firestone Garage also in that scene on Alton Road where C&T reverse back to the cafe. Streetview Link
  • Like 2

Posted: 26 July 2007 at 1:41am by airtommyCool, I can see the Firestone clearly on VE. This is the first Alton Road street scene I can remember.
  • Like 1

Posted: 26 July 2007 at 7:05am by Matt5Yeah - few driving scenes, but perhaps first street scene. The area is relatively unchanged too from early 1989 where they shot "Victims". The Cafe seems to be more of a restaurant now. The Carlyle (Ext) is shown as well as a scene shot at The Royal Palm Hotel on Collins Airtommy - you have any clue on the end scene when the crazy woman is shot by Crockett?
  • Like 1

Posted: 26 July 2007 at 11:25am by airtommyFor some reason, when I watched the end scene my gut told me it was west side of Miami Beach near Alton Rd. And my gut is usually wrong, so start your search anywhere but there. Is the address 1606 or 1608? 1606 is Dunkin Donuts now. 1608 gives me a variety of results in Google: Gino's Pizza and Brew, Pucci's Pizza, Texas Taco Factory.
  • Like 1

Posted: 26 July 2007 at 11:27am by Matt5The actual address of the Cafe is 1608 . The address is also seen from the inside as C&T enter the cafe, albeit from zoom and a lot of still work.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted: 26 July 2007 at 7:05am by Matt5Airtommy - you have any clue on the end scene when the crazy woman is shot by Crockett?
the house where Crockett and Switek have a brawl with Tubbs and where the final scenes were shot is the Traymore Hotel at 2445 Collins Ave' date=' Miami Beach. They shot at the back entrance which is facing Miami Beach Drive. BTW: not Crockett shot the crazy Helen Jackson, but the surviving Alvarez brother Angelo (played by "Calderone jr" John Leguizamo) did, Crockett shot Angelo in the foot when he tried to escape!here is a Google link. Unfortunately there is no street view cos Miami Beach Drive is closed for cars.http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=miami+beach&sll=44.465151,19.973145&sspn=6.523315,14.040527&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Miami+Beach,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.800292,-80.125732&spn=0.001005,0.001714&t=h&z=19Needless to say that the Traymore was completely refurnished by a redevelopment company and looks totally different now. If you want to see old pictures with the pink bull eye stone wall that we see in this episode then go to: http://traymorehotelmiamibeach.com/wproperties_traymorehotel.pdf There are some pics from the old look - see esp. page 14!

Just curious, what's spurred this binge of location posts? Are you working on updating your book?I REALLY need to get back into the swing of things!

Just curious' date=' what's spurred this binge of location posts? Are you working on updating your book?I REALLY need to get back into the swing of things![/quote']Good question. Yes, I am updating my book frequently but also I have had some time to watch my annual bunch of episodes and because I know them so well I am focusing on locations when watching. Interesting that I overlooked so many details in the past. The house in VOC I found within minutes after I recognized yesterday that there is a wooden beach walkway in the background which indicated that the location is north of 20th Street in Miami Beach. I used these a lot for jogging when I lived in Miami Beach.I am looking forward that you get back on location hunt! It has been quiet for this topic for some time and there is still a lot to pinpoint!BTW: the scenes where the Diabolos got whacked and Tim Truman´s "Dope in the Bag" is played were shot here (lower left next to the south shore of NW 12 Ave bridge):http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=NW+12+Ave+miami&sll=25.697284,-80.169253&sspn=0.008121,0.013711&g=241+harbor+drive,+Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida+33133,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=NW+12th+Ave,+Miami,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.782696,-80.214905&spn=0.001908,0.003428&t=h&z=18The same location was used in the teaser and the opening credits (Barry Gay meets Tubbs at the dock and the great Truman tunen is played) of "The Cell within".

• 2 years later...

http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=miami+beach&sll=44.465151,19.973145&sspn=6.523315,14.040527&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Miami+Beach,+Miami-Dade+County,+Florida,+Vereinigte+Staaten&ll=25.800292,-80.125732&spn=0.001005,0.001714&t=h&z=19Needless to say that the Traymore was completely refurnished by a redevelopment company and looks totally different now. If you want to see old pictures with the pink bull eye stone wall that we see in this episode then go to: http://traymorehotelmiamibeach.com/wproperties_traymorehotel.pdf There are some pics from the old look - see esp. page 14!

From my last visit in 2011 ( not 10 as stated ) - :D[ATTACH=CONFIG]7695[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965417135_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From my last visit in 2011 ( not 10 as stated ) - :D[ATTACH=CONFIG]7695[/ATTACH]

Great episode - watched this last nite . Directed by English director Colin Bucksey who had previously directed Season 4s "Death and the Lady" ' date=' "Like a Hurricane " and "Rock and a Hard Place" - he went on to direct episodes in recent acclaimed dramas "Breaking Bad" , "Damages" and more recently "Revenge ".Good locations and they filmed inside The Royal Palm on Collins for the nursing home scenes .The empty pool scene looks as could have been filmed near The Traymore off Collins around 2445 - but they shot this episode all over Miami Beach with a few scenes in Miami - so could be anywhere .Of course as Tom previously mentioned - the Diablo's shooting and bridge scene was shot lower left next to the south shore of NW 12 Ave bridge.[url']http://maps.google.at/maps?f=q&sourc...03428&t=h&z=18The same location was used in the teaser and the opening credits of "Cell Within".:thumbsup::D

• 8 months later...

That is where Crockett and Stan threw the pipe bombs through the windows. Great work, Matt!

Nice to see that building looks the same. :thumbsup::D

Thankyou I have got a great recreation shot - so will post when I return from Bahamas- yes that is the scene when Crockett and Stan through pipe bombs blasting out the windows. :D  :fireworks:

• Like 2

Thankyou I have got a great recreation shot - so will post when I return from Bahamas- yes that is the scene when Crockett and Stan through pipe bombs blasting out the windows. :D  :fireworks:

Great find Matt.  Guys- as you know there are not many Vice sites left to find.  I know I have brought this up before but I think you should check Burn Notice that still has plenty of findable but unidentified locations.  C Glide has only finished two eps of season 6 and has not started work on season 7 yet.  The BN web site is still on line as a resource and the DVDs are not that expensive.  I'm having a good time trying to ID BN sites that have a Vice link for my next ebook.  There are many. 

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting those photos, Matt5!  I don't think the 2445 Collins building has changed much at all.  Most of the interior can be seen on Google Street View.  The columns and the floor are about the same, as is the back entrance railing and columns.

Great find with the bombing site!

Still unknown:

empty pool ~7:36

two bodies at shuffleboard court ~15:07

Crockett on a payphone ~37:40

• Like 2

Thanks for posting those photos, Matt5!  I don't think the 2445 Collins building has changed much at all.  Most of the interior can be seen on Google Street View.  The columns and the floor are about the same, as is the back entrance railing and columns.

Great find with the bombing site!

Still unknown:

empty pool ~7:36

two bodies at shuffleboard court ~15:07

Crockett on a payphone ~37:40

The empty pool and two bodies at shuffleboard court scenes were filmed at the Royal Palm Hotel also. :D

• Like 1

The empty pool and two bodies at shuffleboard court scenes were filmed at the Royal Palm Hotel also. :D

In another thread, we even have pictures from shooting these scenes from a member who was present while filming and let us know that they filmed both scenes at the rear of Royal Palm.

What is still missing is the location of Baker's house.

Edited by Tom

On 8/11/2015 at 11:29 AM, Matt5 said:

Darn it, you stole my thunder!   :)   I was going to post this tonight:

vergangenheit08.jpg

Picture_1.png

The pool is gone now, so we have to look at historic aerials.   It's actually the pool behind the Shorecrest, adjacent to the Royal Palm.  I think those two hotels are connected now, not sure if they were connected back then.  You can see the white concrete platform next to the deep end of the pool and those tiki shade things next to the pool.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Baaker's house, where he shows Sonny his computer lists, makes me think of the Versace Mansion with its furnishings, antiques etc.  Anyone have interior shots of the place? 

Oh yeah, I forgot to post Baker's house. Closely studying the background buildings across the water told me this should be parallel to ~8th/9th Street on Miami Beach. Looking across to Star Island, the house that lines up with 9th Street has an inner courtyard as we see in the episode.

The address was 27 Star Island Drive.  Sadly, it was recently demolished.  On Google Street View you can see the construction and a poster of the new design.  Click here and switch to Street View: link   I generally love these modern designs, but not here.  I feel like Star Island should have preserved its old look of Mediterranean and classical houses.

Anyway, you can still see the old house on Bing:  link  Save those sat pics because soon they'll be gone!!!

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I forgot to post Baker's house. Closely studying the background buildings across the water told me this should be parallel to ~8th/9th Street on Miami Beach. Looking across to Star Island, the house that lines up with 9th Street has an inner courtyard as we see in the episode.

The address was 27 Star Island Drive.  Sadly, it was recently demolished.  On Google Street View you can see the construction and a poster of the new design.  Click here and switch to Street View: link   I generally love these modern designs, but not here.  I feel like Star Island should have preserved its old look of Mediterranean and classical houses.

Anyway, you can still see the old house on Bing:  link  Save those sat pics because soon they'll be gone!!!

Great find airtommy.    :done:

I wasn't really clear about this, but it's when they walk through the room (twice) that you can look out the window and see the bay and the buildings across the bay.  Also you'll notice a swimming pool in the back yard in current sat pics, but in the MV scene there is no pool.  Looking at Historicaerials.com, that pool was built between 1999 and 2005.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Great news about 27 Star Island Drive.  It wasn't totally demolished but is in the process of being moved to the front of the lot and preserved.  This move is apparently to make room for a more modern mansion to be built closer to the water.  Amazing act of both preservation and modernization at the same time.  Check out this site, great animated explanation.  http://27starisland.com/index.html   Here's a recent photo of the restoration work in progress.

13900284_10105220734852309_4526274798676652642_n.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2015 at 4:30 PM, Tom said:

In another thread, we even have pictures from shooting these scenes from a member who was present while filming and let us know that they filmed both scenes at the rear of Royal Palm.

What is still missing is the location of Baker's house.

Hello Tom, I was at the Royal Palm and took these pictures

MIAMI VICE PICS 140001.jpg

MIAMI VICE PICS 150001.jpg

VICE JOHN sml.jpg

• Like 3