Episode #9 "Glades"

Ferrariman

"Glades" is by no means the worst episode...but it really was not that good or memorable to me. The title basically says it all--it just revolved around the pathetic lives of drug-dealing, back-woods, hill-billies. Some of the action was okay...but some of the violence with that little girl present surprised me! Now days I wouldn't even question it (sadly pretty much anything is allowed on TV now :eek:) but for the time I was surprised the network allowed them to keep the scene where Crockett has to blow away that guy right in front of her--I think the bad guy was even still holding her! Not the worst but not one of my favorites either. When I originally voted on it, I gave it a 5.

"Now days I wouldn't even question it (sadly pretty much anything is allowed on TV now :eek:) but for the time I was surprised the network allowed them to keep the scene where Crockett has to blow away that guy right in front of her--I think the bad guy was even still holding her! .

In Germany you never see this scene - they cut it. Not in TV, not at the DVD. But i bought the UK-DVD too - and so i know it. But i must say - i like "Glades"! A 9 for me!

I really like this episode, but a few things bother me, their amateur hour when they rolled into town just happen to look for someone the drug runners wanted dead and that others were sheltering, c'mon stupid obvious, then how Crockett couldnt navigate in the glades when he was in 'Nam and all that jungles hes soaked up etcI have to give it an 8 though a good episodeAFA all the 'hillbillies' well Im a descendant of 'Appalachian Americans' so I thought they were fine normal folk, as us southerners arent to fond of the revenue types telling us we cant make shine etc or how to live LOL

In Germany you never see this scene - they cut it. Not in TV' date=' not at the DVD. But i bought the UK-DVD too - and so i know it. But i must say - i like "Glades"! A 9 for me![/quote']Interesting!! To be honest, usually other countries, than the U.S., will allow most things to stay in or be shown...whereas about 20 years ago and older the networks were much more strict about not allowing violence or sex things with kids involved in TV shows. Now, most everything is allowed in and some shows seem to focus or showcase this kind of thing...such as "Criminal Minds." That show always seems to focus on some sick, twisted sex or serial killer thing that involves a child and/or kids. :sick: "CSI" at least usually deals with more deranged adults than always involving children.I'm just surprised that the network allowed "Miami Vice" to keep the violent scene with the little girl in "Glades" (actually shown) but refused to air the episode "Too Much Too Late" because it insinuated (not actually shown) that the druggie woman allowed her daughter to be used for sex so she could get some drugs. Oh well, with the DVD sets we ended up with it all. :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...
Glades is a completely untypical VICE episode - and therefore I like it.:happy:It illustrates a strong contrast to the other fashionable, glamorous episodes and shows that sometimes Sonny and Rico have to investigate in a poorer social stratum (running around with outdoor-clothing:)).Futhermore the development of tension is very good, though the straight focus on the elimination of the gangsters is often criticised.:thumbsup:I wonder why this point should be bad? The aim of the story is that Bramlett testifies. Due to the kidnapping of his daughter, he doesn't want to testify.So, Sonny and Rico have to liberate his daughter and therefor they have to eliminate the gangsters - that's it!:cool:Besides the story I love the inventive charakters in Glades. From muddle-headed (cool word:)) Bramlett to freshwater Bobby with his "cannon" Blunderbuss Flintlock and the brainless Higgins-brothers.:clap::clap::DEach charakter is unique and unmistakeable.Futhermore there's plenty of good humour.:DOn the one hand from Switek and Zito watching a soap opera, otherwise from Sonny and Rico straying in the glades (the moss-question!:)):D:thumbsup:Noticeable is also the very brutal scene when Sonny shoots Billy Ray in his face.:o Brave for the early 80s!Finally the episode features good music fromTommy Shaw, The Animals and INXS.:radio:All in all an underrated episode.:glossy:10 of 10 points.

• 2 months later...

Glades9. GladesI know many people dislike this episode but for me I think it’s great. The intro was cool with the Animals song. The best scene in the whole episode is definitely when Crockett and Tubbs are driving to the Glades. Tommy Shaw’s “Girls with Guns†is absolutely amazing and was a great match. This scene is definitely up there on my favorite Vice scenes list. I laughed when Tubbs asked Crockett if the previous agent’s covers were fisherman and Crockett says “well now that you mention itâ€. HaHa. The driving scene into the Glades was pretty cool. You could feel the humidity and sweat. I know that a lot of people dislike this episode partly because it didn’t have a lot of Vice feel but I thought it was great to see Crockett and Tubbs out of their element. Miami is great but we got to see other surroundings. Also, Crockett “if moss grows on the north side of trees, then what the hell is the sun doing there?†was funny. I will say that I enjoyed the first half of the episode more than the second half. I am not sure if a group of 8 hillbillies could take over a gang of 25 Columbians. The shootout scene though was great and of course the highlight is when Crockett has that stare off with Billy Joe. “Maybe you won’t even twitch BANG!!†Great end to that. This is also one of my favorities in terms of Crockett killing someone. All in all, this does seem like an outlier to most of season one, but I enjoyed this episode the first time I saw it and haven’t changed my opinion of it since. 10/10

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

"Glades"I may find myself in the minority but I kind of enjoyed the episode partly because C and T were forced out of their comfort zone and some of the humor e.g. getting lost and Sonny's half assed attempts to orient himself by the " moss on the wrong side of the tree" lol. It was also nice to see Keith Z. who starred in another great series from the 80's, THE EQUALIZER.

This episode gets a 7 from my ranking. Sonny and Rico roaming around in the everglades just isn't a formula for a great MV ep to me. As it looked more like 'Swamp Vice', lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
What happened to their fishing poles? On the way out they had white trolling rods stuck behind Crockett's seat.Eingefügtes BildThen as they arrive on Virginia Key all of a sudden they have dark brown or black spinning/casting rods in between the seats. Ooopps.Eingefügtes Bild

• 2 years later...

Glades: (1984)

Again Zito and Switek screws it up and Sonny and Ricardo must head down to the swampy Everglades to get a hold of their star witness before the bad guys do.

This could have been a really good episode, instead it turned out to be the weakest of the first nine.

Glades follows Calderone's Return: Part II as it takes the action far outside Miami city but sadly it fails big time.

Crockett and Tubbs who are used to taking down druglords in the Miami underworld suddenly are completely lost in the swamps as they must battle against angry rednecks, mosquitoes and a bunch of trigger happy bad guys like it was taken from a late night b-action movie starring Reb Brown.

4/10

Edited by ArtieRollins

I like this episode for a several reasons.  South Florida is a lot more than glitz, cities, towns, beaches, urban areas etc.  Overall the series gave viewers a realistic look at the area.  The Glades and backwoods terrain is just minutes away from town.  They were driving through Everglades type terrain and it showed some of what the back country looks like. The episode shows Vice's willingness to use and feature all the different environments.  One of the things that made Vice different from other cop/action shows was that it filmed a large part of its episodes outdoors.  It reflected a real situation, the Anglo backwoods grass smugglers in places like Everglades City were pushed out by well armed foreign coke smugglers.  Crockett's line, "Maybe you won't even twitch." was one of the best lines in the series. I think it was as iconic as Dirty Harry's line, "Make My day." The funniest bit is when the old toothless guy with the blunderbuss laughs after saving Sonny. Rather sardonic but funny.  I don't really like rating eps by numbers but if I had to I would give it at least a 9.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 4

I also love the end when Sonny and Rico look exhausted and breath a sigh of relief as they slump their shoulders. Also the end riff music that goes with it.

• Like 2

I like this episode for a several reasons.  South Florida is a lot more than glitz, cities, towns, beaches, urban areas etc.  Overall the series gave viewers a realistic look at the area.  The Glades and backwoods terrain is just minutes away from town.  They were driving through Everglades type terrain and it showed some of what the back country looks like. The episode shows Vice's willingness to use and feature all the different environments.  One of the things that made Vice different from other cop/action shows was that it filmed a large part of its episodes outdoors.  It reflected a real situation, the Anglo backwoods grass smugglers in places like Everglades City were pushed out by well armed foreign coke smugglers.  Crockett's line, "Maybe you won't even twitch." was one of the best lines in the series. I think it was as iconic as Dirty Harry's line, "Make My day." The funniest bit is when the old toothless guy with the blunderbuss laughs after saving Sonny. Rather sardonic but funny.  I don't really like rating eps by numbers but if I had to I would give it at least a 9.

I agree Jim this had a real South Florida - Glades feel to it if you excuse the pun . Of course mainly filmed in or near Jimbos ( much like "Bad Timing" and large parts of "The Afternoon Plane" . I really enjoyed seeing Alligator Alley ( which I visited in March) - this added location - wise the authentic nature of our great show,

:D  :)  :dance2:  :balloon: 

• 7 months later...

Go ahead ... ruin my day.  :p

Do you think they did that for copyright? or was it because they were just meant to be really dumb rednecks?  :)  :)

Also, Sonny really show's his back home ways in his episode which I really like, also his line ''Maybe...you won't even twitch.'' was very Dirty Harry esque.

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 1

Do you think they did that for copyright? or was it because they were just meant to be really dumb rednecks?  :)  :)

Also, Sonny really show's his back home ways in his episode which I really like, also his line ''Maybe...you won't even twitch.'' was very Dirty Harry esque.

Anthony Yerkovich said when he was creating the characters for MV that he tried to harken back to old school, tough cop characters a la Dirty Harry. At that point in the early 1980s, there were too many sensitive male leads on TV, even in Yerkovich's own Hill Street Blues.

With that, looking back at the start of this thread, I had no idea Glades was originally called Not Necessarily the Swamp Thing.  ?(

Anthony Yerkovich said when he was creating the characters for MV that he tried to harken back to old school, tough cop characters a la Dirty Harry. At that point in the early 1980s, there were too many sensitive male leads on TV, even in Yerkovich's own Hill Street Blues.

With that, looking back at the start of this thread, I had no idea Glades was originally called Not Necessarily the Swamp Thing.  ?(

Starsky & Hutch (great show!) were also 2 very sensitive male leads I noticed, think it's awesome that they've directed some episodes.

I like this episode very different to others and the locations in Virginia Key are great - good job by Stan Lathan the director ( only episode of Miami Vice he directed ) 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Glades and the following two episodes are kind of a mixed bag. It was bound to happen after 8 nearly perfect episodes.

The first 25 minutes up until Bramlin introduces everyone is pretty damn solid. The scenes of C and T lost in the swamp is hilarious. However, apart from the excellent music and decent finale, the second half is mediocre. 

I do love the "You won't even twitch" scene though.

Not bad but not great.

6.5/10

• 10 months later...

I’ll say I’m a fan of this unusual Vice Ep because it’s not like the others. The change up was great. The drive out to the Glades on Aligator Alley w/ Tommy Shaw’s Girls w/ Guns was a perfect fit. Did anyone else notice the 3 Deloreans as C&T pulled into thier destination? I think it may show all 3 in 1 pano shot as they roll in.

I have noticed that. I wonder if Dr. Emmett Brown stole his Delorean from one of them. Anyone who would cross the Libyans certainly wouldn’t have any problem doing the same to the Ruiz boys. :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

i love that episode a lot. but maybe i'm somehow a bit 'blinded' by my love of mangroves, and swamps. love the granpa character. and Crockett is great in that episode. the scene of the bad guy killing doesn't shock me at all, as it was a simple self defense situation. but, i post cause i'd like to know if somebody knows where we can find Shannon Unger pictures of her adult

Edited by jpm1
spelling

• Administrators

Good question on the pics if Google doesn't reveal anything. That's the problem with one hit wonders that are never heard from again. I had the same issue with trying to find pics of Florence Italy (Marilyn Romero). No luck. Seems she dropped out of acting for the most part and hasn't been in the lime light. There are some pics on Google but not sure if it is the correct Marilyn Romero. 

• Like 2