Episode #9 "Glades"

Ferrariman

• 7 months later...
  • Administrators

unfortunately the complete scene, when crockett kills the goon who threatened bramlette's daughter, was cut in german tv. you see crockett opening the roof window, in the next shot you see him reaching for the kids hand. it took me 20 years to watch the original -> on dvd. it's really a cool scene cause nobody would have expected that kind of closing *bang*but this is not one of my favorite eps: too little pastell, to little miami. crockett and tubbs act like bloody greenhorns when they arrive in the fishing village and search for bramlette. moreover: crockett was in vietnam several years - HE should get lost in the glades??but because of that nice and long (!) daytona ride and the cool rescue of bramlettes daughter my rate is 6.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I first saw "Glades" I didn't like it since it doesn't have the fashionable & cool look of the typical Miami Vice episode. It does have quite a bit of humor & some insight into the rural parts of Florida. Enjoyed Sonny's answer to Floyd. " Nice set of wheels you boys got;foreign job?" "I buy American." ; Sonny: "I buy whatever I feel like buyin!'" Rico cracked me up when he said the 'glades reminded him of a section of the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens where they had some crazy plants that ate a piece of his Big Mac." How big do those plants get?" Question for Rick: When Cassie brings C&T into the cabin, the door opens inward & as they enter you see their reflection on the background trees. There's no glass to reflect. Can it be a plastic wind breaker? I also enjoyed the road trip to the everglades. Wonder why no one took the Ferrari while they were lost in the middle of the glades? I rate this one : 7 Ell.a : They should look like greenhorns, it was a perfect cover.....but the hicks saw through it!I like an episode with more Miami Pastels & Music etc., as you.....Ell.a!

• Like 1

I can say one thing for Glades, it has one of the greatest moments in the history of the series; Crockett & Tubbs driving to the Glades with Tommy Shaw's 'Girls With Guns' playing. Great stuff. But otherwise it's very forgettable. It starts well enough. I like when they first get to the Glades and the subsequent scenes where they get lost in the swamp and the girl brings them on the boat. But once they get to the house with Bramlin it just becomes silly and illogical. But it isn't terrible so I wouldn't rate it among the worst episodes. It's just a very unmemorable one. The opening scene really does not look like Miami. You think it's a different show until they get inside the room with Crockett & Tubbs. It's great how how they used Jimbo's in Virginia Key for this episode. I love that location. They later use it in much better episodes Line of Fire and World of Trouble. You can also play Spot the DeLorean in this scene. And this was shortly before Back To The Future. Another redeeming feature is it has John Pankow aka Vulkovich from To Live and Die In LA. But otherwise, not much to recommend this forgettable episode. 5/10 Errors in geography, they say Okeechobee is south of Miami ("they came down from Miami"). It isn't, it's north of Miami. I drove past it on the Turnpike when I was in beautiful Florida last year

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Once upon a time, i concluded that this was the worst episode of Miami Vice, this was pre-viewing of a lot of season 4 tosh, namely Missing Hours and i hadnt seen leap of crap either. And funnily enough i changed my mind, its not my least favourite episode, nor is it a poor episode but it is very very average. Redeeming features include the excellent Daytona scene with great music and great shots, i also enjoyed the Jeep scene driving through the deep glades. The scene on the boat with the 'chic that dont talk' is quite nice too, nice scenery and some calming music. Also C&T's brief adventure through the glades on their own with the snakes in the way and trying to find the sun was funny and entertaining.Unfortunately when the actual story starts to get going, things go quickly down hill. I hate all the supporting characters, and there is no vice style to speak of. Its just a bit of a weird vice episode, quite beyond the norm in the 2nd half of the episode.So yeah its not appalling but im not going to be one to jump up and down and say this episode is great...and nor am i going to claim its my least favourite episode again...because it aint!Strictly average 5/10. One of the poorer season 1 eps along with the dreadful Maze.p.s I liked seeing the DeLoreans in this episode.

As a DeLorean owner, I really liked Glades. Its been a while since I've watched this one, but seeing 4 (or was it 3) DeLoreans parked on the main street was a thrill. In my biased opinion, I think MV could have used a few more DeLoreans in episodes besides this and "Indian Wars".BUT, putting aside my DeLorean affiliation, this was probably one of the worst season 1 episodes from the perspective of being a Vice fan. I give it a 6/10.My $.02.

I liked this episode. Thought there were some good scenes. For example the "girl with guns" scene, and the scene where the two Hillbillies were taking Crockett and Tubbs through the forest.To me, the fact that most of the episode didn't take place in Miami wasn't a problem. It gave the episode some distinction, a retraction from the usual drug busting cases that Crockett and Tubbs sorted out in their everyday lives. The forest made an interesting and original environment for Crockett and Tubbs to adapt to.I remember reading years ago that the scene where Crockett shoots that guy in the head who took Tammy hostage created a lot of bad publicity in the States at the time. Weird thing is as well that I've been to Jimbo's a couple of times in the last couple of years where the "village" was situated in this episode. The area hasn't changed a bit, and the fact that the people there look just like the ones in the episode, sitting around and having a few beers makes it feel like you are actually in that scene! Anyone who visits Miami has to go to Virginia Key and have a look just to see what I mean. I'll give this one 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

I give it a nine, one of my favorite episodes. The funniest bit is when the old toothless guy with the blunderbuss laughs after saving Sonny. Rather sardonic but funny. When Sonny said, "You might not even twitch," a lot of us said, "Yaah." A classic moment in American entertainment, on a par with some of Dirty Harry's famous statements. After this episode I was hooked. Don't understand why they didn't call for backup before the firefight- but that's Vice. You can't have a TV show based in S. Fla without using the unique natural environment. While most of the show was not really the glades, it showed some of what the back country looks like. I'm waiting for Burn Notice to do the same.

• Like 1

This episode gets a 7 from my ranking. Sonny and Rico roaming around in the everglades just isn't a formula for a great MV ep to me. As it looked more like 'Swamp Vice', lol.

• Like 1

GladesI loved the scene with the Ferrari speeding down the Tamiami Trail, with the fishing poles sticking up in the back! I also loved the scene when they're in the boat with Cassie. The last scene may have been controversial then, but is certainly tame to what we see today. I also think it was very effective to see Crockett, a talented marksman, take aim and shoot. That took nerves of steel with the child so close. Other than that, the story line was weak. And the rest of the actors left me cold, so I gave this a 6/10.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A rather fun and unique episode that does feel more like a Patrick Swayze movie a bit more than Vice. The use of "We Gotta Get Out of this Place" by The Animals should be commended as should any use of their music in TV or film deserves to. The shoot-out towards the end was really solid and exciting and the Everglades looked fantastic and really gave off a sense of place. I'm bumping this up to a 9/10. 

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.

• 5 months later...

This is an average episode. It doesn't stand out for me and it is not one that I normally watch. I give this episode a 5.

• 4 months later...

I´ve seen this epsiode several times and I like it much because it shows another side of the magnificent and detailed styled Florida with lots of dirt and dust.:clap::happy::happy:The scenes on the highway to the Glades are fantastical, esp. music by Tommy Shaw:radio::radio:Moreover there´s a lot of humour and cool moments like the conversation about bog and sun.:D:D and Glem´s ancient gun.Unfortunately many scenes are cut on German DVDs so I can´t imagine important scenes, for ex. the rescue of the daughter.:thumbsdown:My rate: 9 of 10 points

I am rather fond of this episodeThe story line maybe not as strong as others but the scene driving to the glades. :happy:And the scene where Sonny shot the men who has the child is very very strong.I do have to agree with the fact that it is rather strange that Sonny got lost in the glades while he has been to Vietnam. But al things considered I give the episode an 8.

• 5 months later...

This episode was just kind of an "ehh" episode, if you know what I mean. It didn't really have much of the "Vice" style...and was more about the hick-backwoods hill-billy druggies of the Florida everglades. :(I'm not one for the hick-stupid or hill-billy episodes of shows, to try and be funny. It's just not funny to me...just stupid and irritating. Some of the action was good--and there was some funny lines. I also like the end...where they show up at the last minute to nail the bad guy in court.But, the rest was just weird and kind of boring. :rolleyes: Also, I thought for the time a part of this episode was very violent--when Crockett shoots the bad guy (holding the little girl) in front of the little girl. I'm sure this was probably realistic...but for the time I was very surprised they allowed that scene to stay in since it delt with a child being exposed to that right in front of her.Anyway...by no means the worst episode...but still not one of season 1's (or the series') best. I gave it a 5. :sick:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It certainly had plenty of flaws but I still liked it. You cann't think alot while watching it or you will not like it because there are so many mistakes or things that don't make sense. I do like the change of pace going out Alligator Alley to the Glades. I have a copy of the script, no location sheets, it was originally titled "Not Necessarily the Swamp Thing."Eingefügtes BildThere are a number of changes in the episode from the script based on a quick read. For example When Crockett says he like to use a flippin' stick for bass in the episode, it has (in the script) him saying fly rod which gets a response that he must be a homersexual. They must have changed this so they would not offend the fly-fisherman who watch the show.Eingefügtes Bild

It certainly had plenty of flaws but I still liked it. You can't think alot while watching it or you will not like it because there are so many mistakes or things that don't make sense. I do like the change of pace going out Alligator Alley to the Glades. I have a copy of the script, no location sheets, it was originally titled "Not Necessarily the Swamp Thing."Eingefügtes BildThere are a number of changes in the episode from the script based on a quick read. For example When Crockett says he like to use a flippin' stick for bass in the episode, it has (in the script) him saying fly rod which gets a response that he must be a homersexual. They must have changed this so they would not offend the fly-fisherman who watch the show.Eingefügtes Bild

• 2 weeks later...

Glades is one of my favorite episodes of the 1st season.Mostly due to getting to see Crockett and Tubbs totally out of their element, especially Ricardo,lol!Always wondered how is it that Tammy's doll house was so similar to the house where they held her hostage.Anyone else notice that?As someone else mentioned, Clem was hilarious.Kinda wished they would've taken him back to Miami with them for a visit.

I like the episode. It´s different to the other eps, but there are some funny parts in it and of course I like Glem. He´s a really funny old man!

I like the episode. It´s different to the other eps' date=' but there are some funny parts in it and of course I like Glem. He´s a really funny old man![/quote'] I could totally picture Clem hangin out with Crockett and Elvis on the St. Vitus Dance. But he would have to leave his daddy's Gator Gun at home,lol!

:cry:

Could you really imagine Glem going on a trip without his gun?:)

Good Point,LOL!But Elvis might get offended, thinking Clem wants to turn him into shoes, belts and luggage.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"Glades" was better than I remembered and I would give a strong 8 - the music from JH was particularly strong.:D

I also liked Hammer's score for this one, it's briefly used again in Prodigal Son.