Wardrobe Basics (For Vicers)

Richie Rich

Wardrobe Basics (For Vicers):Basic pastel colors in 3-button henleys:The basics are pastel blue, pink, and "banana yellow", you may also add green and orange, as long as they are a light pastel color, and not "bright orange". Also add white and black henleys. Red and earthtones are not permitted, although this rule may be broken as you see fit. Green henley was seen in S2 "Definitely Miami", it was a very pale shade.Eingefügtes BildI'm still looking for the pastel orange henley to match the one seen in "Smuggler's Blues". Edit - found and added on 06/27/09.

Various stores, Coop. Including the big superstores.Wardrobe Basics, Continued. Marshall's often has been a winner for a nice Vice style linen jacket. At times over the past few years, $20 gets an Andrew Fezza blazer in white, or tan, and for another $20 you can get matching pants. Don't visit just one Marshall's, as inventory varies. Some locations may be sold out of certain colors or perhaps completely. This has been considered the best deal for a Vicer's must-have clothing item, the white linen jacket worn by Crockett again and again. I have found casual white linen pants here, casual because of the drawstring at the waist. Brand is Stacy Adams, price was $17. TJ Maxx, Marshalls' sister company, has a collection of designer names and casual clothes, but seems to have gotten rid of jackets and blazers for men. They did have Cubavera casual white linen pants that were priced at $20, original tag had a list price of $58. K-Mart also has carried canvas top loafer type shoes under $10 a pair. Their brand is Anchor Bay and they carried black and blue colors, with tan colored soles. These shoes are not currently being stocked, but may return. While you're there check the racks for t-shirts - and the clearance racks - I have found pastel henleys there. They currently have the basic white and black 3 button henleys for $7. Also striped 3 button henleys, only at K Mart. Have not seen striped henleys elsewhere. Their own t-shirt brand (Basic Editions) has a version designed to fade with washing available in light pastel colors, labeled Basic Editions - Vintage Wash. They have pink and blue and yellow. This makes it possible to recreate the faded pastels of the first 2 seasons. This is rare, as other shirt makers have gone to fade resistant design.Wal-Mart stocks canvas shoes in their own Faded Glory brand. They are selling for $10 and are available in black, blue, tan, and white. The black ones have tan colored soles, and the tan, blue and white have white colored soles. A black one with black along the sides of the sole has been added. This will be the least expensive white shoe you can find - perfect for those with a limited budget. You can also find t-shirts in various colors, including pastels, starting at around $5. They also carry 3-button henley shirts, but pastel colors will be more difficult to find. Beware of red shirts, or red clothes. Notice that you won't see Crockett wearing this color (at least in the first few seasons). Red is non-Vice, and should be avoided. You will see red henleys and t-shirts all Wal-Mart and elsewhere. Traditionally, earthtone colors were also not allowed (tan, brown, rust, or green). Of course, this rule got broken later, and Crockett was seen with quite a few tan and light beige clothing items in Season 5. Macy's have several departments where you might find linen jackets, pants and t-shirts. Don't forget the clearance racks here also. The Rockport Colrain off-white leather loafer, which is the closest I could find to the Season 5 off-white shoe, is on clearance now for $60. Remember, some of the Crockett loafers were rumored to be $400 or more, so this is a good buy. I wear them often, and they look good for work, or with a casual jeans look. JC Penney have had henley style t-shirts, as well as linen jackets and pants, at a decent price. I have found Haggar brand linen blend pants that are no-wrinkle and are about $30 (sale price). They look like linen, but without all the wrinkling, and have become my favorite linen pants. A perfect lightweight summer pant. You may also find a brand of linen pants and jackets from Havanera, but this may already be out of stock, or moved to clearance, which may make it a good buy. I haven't found canvas shoes. But I have found Giorgio Brutini black leather loafers (weave pattern), very close to S3 style, and very soft leather. These are a must for dark clothes, either black or navy blue. Great for wearing with black outfits. Sears have cotton jackets. Not as accurate as the Andrew Fezza jackets from Marshall's and not as close stylewise as that of the others mentioned, but if you're just not finding what you're looking for elsewhere, you might check Sears out. I have also seen 3-button henleys, with some pastel colors, and black and white, in the Covington brand, sale price was $9.99. Belk is a department store in the South that has a very hard to find color in a 3 button henley, which is peach. It looks like a light pastel orange, brand is Saddlebred (seen in Smuggler's Blues episode). Check their website to order by mail.Cubavera have linen jackets and pants that are very stylish. This clothing line can be found at several retailers, and Macy's. I have also found Alfani brand linen jackets and pants here too. WARNING: If you find linen or cotton / linen blend jackets, and initially they seem like Vice type jackets, proceed carefully if they are three-button, not two-button. For those just starting, apparently what is considered true Vice style is two-button - three-button is considered too formal, and non-Vice. Burlington Coat Factory is a store at which I have found all the cotton / linen 2-button blazers that I own. Check out the sections with jackets, pants and t-shirts. Don't just look at the Men's Jacket department. Instead, check out the discount clothing racks and the Young Men's area - you're bound to do better there, and that may be where all the linen jackets have been placed. I have also gotten some designer suits for work - good price, and they do the alterations right there in their store. Can't beat that. Dolphin Mall in Miami, for whenever you take that Miami vacation, has a great selection for jeans, shoe stores, and also a Burlington Coat Factory for foreign visitors, who can't find one elsewhere. I got canvas espadrille shoes there, that I found nowhere else. The brand was Lugz. Ebay (or Amazon.com) is a place to search for specific items not carried by retail stores. This could be anything from hard to find sizes to brands, like an Armani or Versace blazer. Also check out thrift stores, as you could just find a designer blazer that fits perfectly, for $15 (it happened to me). If you are looking for 3-button polo shirts, to cut off the collar and make into a 3-button henley, then look for pima cotton, which is similar to smooth cotton used in t shirts (as opposed to the course cloth used in the typical "polo shirt").Lastly, go to Shoes.com, and search a shoe brand named GBX. Lots of loafers, even in white and blue, and styles close to what was seen on Crockett's feet, or should have been seen. Reasonable prices too, mostly lower than other better-known brands.

Great information Ricie Rich. :thumbsup:I found white, and light beige canvas shoes at WalMart, but haven't checked for blue or black yet. LOVE, absolutely LOVE the canvas shoes, as it's my very favorite shoe. Fits great, and the price is fantastic. I wear them as often as I can.Are blue and black canvas shoes at WalMart available in spring and summer, or in winter?

I’d like to add a side topic but still fundamental to achieve the perfect vice look.You can own the best blazers and the most appropriate garments but it’s not enough if you don’t know HOW to wear them.Be conscious that you’re not just covering your body but that you’re WEARING those garments: you need to give life to them, otherwise you’ll end up looking like a mannequin.#1 - HeadKeep your head upright and well balanced. This will improve your overall look, show that you’re self confident and do a sort of visual camouflage for the double chin (if you have, of course! :)). To find the right head position, focus on a reference point ahead of you (models usually take the high beam spotlight at the end of the catwalk, you can choose what you want as long as it’s far away).This might be difficult because, since you’re not modeling for a show, you’ll also have to take a good look around in case some women turn their heads towards you (wanna bet they will? ;))Example: Payback - how Crockett keeps his head throughout the whole scene when he enters the prison.#2 - ShouldersNever shrug them: shoulders have to remain as straight, lowered down and stiff as possible; this will show more of your neck, adding a bit to your height which is always a good point for a man.You might feel you’re walking in an armor but nobody will tell you’re not moving your shoulders because the blazer will give movement to them.Example: Bushido - at the beginning when Crockett crosses the street to enter the public restroom.#3 - WalkingHave a look at some men fashion shows, i.e. Armani, you’ll notice that models walk putting one foot IN FRONT of the other.That’s the best way to walk, it’ll immediately give your body a different, sexier appeal, the blazer will simply follow your movements and it’ll look just right.Start with walking along a line: follow a real one at first until you’re satisfied with the result and then go on following an imaginary one. Allow yourself to look down to follow the line until you’ve learnt, then try to combine this with rule #1.Example: the BEST EVER is in Prodigal Son at NY airport, when Crockett proceeds to gate.This is the PERFECT example of how to combine the above three together. Study how Crockett walks, light as a feather, almost without touching the ground, how he turns his head to look out of the window and how he keeps his shoulders.(Most important: if you want to try, do it when there’s nobody around cause I assure you that at first it all will make you look dumb and ridiculous!)

EXTREMELY good advice!A picture won't look as good if it's in the wrong frame.CONFIDENCE, CONFIDENCE, CONFIDENCE.Pandina is dead on correct. If you think and act like your hot stuff, others will think you are too.Guys in general, don't do this. It's those that do, will make the ladies take notice! She's also correct that it's not just the clothes...it's HOW you wear them.PANDINA :clap::clap::clap:

After reading Richie Riche's article about shoes at walmart, I (god forbid) actually went there for the boat shoes. I bought a blue version, but I didn't buy the black version, as it was constructed differently than the others, and it slipped off my heal to easy, just like espadrilles do for me.The blue ones are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Pandina...,Crockett and Tubbs were & are, drop-dead handsome guys, but since we all try to dress & act like them, your Guide on "How to Wear MV Clothes" is invaluable! The way they both carried themselves is something I never noticed but it was probably there in the back of my mind.I'm sure the directors made sure C&T never got sloppy in their mannerisms!Thanks for bringing all this to our attention! :thumbsup::clap:

(Most important: if you want to try, do it when there’s nobody around cause I assure you that at first it all will make you look dumb and ridiculous!)

Hey Vicers : This list should be printed & put on the wall of your closet, as a reminder that it's not only the clothes that make the man! :cool:

Pandina...' date='Crockett and Tubbs were & are, drop-dead handsome guys, but since we all try to dress & act like them, your Guide on "How to Wear MV Clothes" is invaluable! The way they both carried themselves is something I never noticed but it was probably there in the back of my mind.I'm sure the directors made sure C&T never got sloppy in their mannerisms!Thanks for bringing all this to our attention! :thumbsup::clap:[/quote']Thanks Tony, I'm happy that it got appreciated. The reason why you or others might have not noticed is because of the untrained eye. I deal with these things very often in my job, so for me are quite normal.IMO the directors had a small part in it, probably at the beginning of the series, but later DJ and PMT got perfectly in the part and they carried themselves without even thinking about it.The most important aspect is being able to use these "rules" without thinking about them, it has to become natural.I gave the perfect example with Crockett at NY airport. DJ was probably concentrated on other actions (show id at gate, look outside the window) and the result was outstanding.In the "You belong to the city" scene, he had to walk only and you can tell he was too concentrated on it because his walking was of course good, but not perfect enough.
Hey Vicers : This list should be printed & put on the wall of your closet' date=' as a reminder that it's not only the clothes that make the man! :cool:[/quote']One thing: please DO NOT exaggerate with the Vice confidence! ;) You're not on a catwalk and you might end up looking ridiculous.Always adapt it to situations.For instance, I personally know how to walk like a model, I've learnt it, but of course I don't use it in everyday life or when I walk down the street.(I used it some times in the past... it worked beyond expectations! ;))

Very funny Posts- I really liked the Crockett look from "Bad Timing" in Season 5 : Jeans, Black T and Badge Linen Jacket .

Very funny Posts- I really liked the Crockett look from "Bad Timing" in Season 5 : Jeans' date=' Black T and Badge Linen Jacket .[/quote']Yeah, It's a great look!

Yeah' date=' It's a great look![/quote']It works well , Today , as well as it did 20 years ago in the last Season.:D

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooIt's the headless horseman of the apocalypse!!!!!!!!!Tell me are the knees still in the jeans?At least you don't wear them with you underwear up to your armpits and the waist of the jeans down to your thighs!As Denis Leary says "Pull your pants up!" (skit- coffee flavoured coffee)

Great Outfit - is that you?!

Yes, it's me. :thumbsup:Have you not seen all the pictures in the "COOP'S SPRING CATALOG"thread in the scrapbook section???And to answer your question STINGER390X, I do have jeans with tears at the knees, but this outfit seen in MIAMI VICE didn't have ripped knees if memory served me correct, so I wore a pair without ripped knees. :)

• 6 years later...