Brian Cox talks about "Manhunter"

maynard

• 3 years later...

I remember first time seeing manhunter and i was young-17 or so and had already seen silence of the lambs,and i wasn't too taken with brian's performance.When i viewed it a few years later i really appreciated his version of Dr.lector(or lektor in manhunter)-anthony hopkins was the more sinister over the top villain sure but i never forget B.cox in that film to this day and i havent watched it in at least 10 years.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Manhunter might just be one of the most beautiful films that came out of the 80s.
Everything from the music to the colors and atmosphere is amazing.
5-6 years ago I would probably  put The Insider or Heat as Mann's finest hour, but Manhunter and Thief has really grown on me for the last couple of years, and as of today I would pick Manhunter as my favorite Mann film, right before Thief and Heat.
In fact I would say Manhunter easily ranks as one of my all time favorite films
The tiger scene has to be one the most powerful Michael Mann moments ever and its right up there with the scene with Eady and Neal in Heat (1995) where they enjoy each others company while staring out at the light show of L.A. City in the middle of the night.
Edited by ArtieRollins

Well said. Manhunter is a truly excellent film, almost great. I think Thief is Mann's best film and Manhunter is his second best. I think Manhunter is better than Silence of the Lambs too. It was much better having Hannibal Lecktor in a sterile white cell than in a gothic dungeon. The force of Lecktor's personality was more pronounced in the white cell and it made him even more terrifying.

Well said. Manhunter is a truly excellent film, almost great. I think Thief is Mann's best film and Manhunter is his second best. I think Manhunter is better than Silence of the Lambs too. It was much better having Hannibal Lecktor in a sterile white cell than in a gothic dungeon. The force of Lecktor's personality was more pronounced in the white cell and it made him even more terrifying.

A lot of reviews say "Manhunter" is better than "Silence...."

It was much better having Hannibal Lecktor in a sterile white cell than in a gothic dungeon. The force of Lecktor's personality was more pronounced in the white cell and it made him even more terrifying.

That is just one of many great things about Michael Mann and Manhunter.

Another thing is how Manhunter never revealed too much at the same time, where Brett Ratners 2002 film did.

The whole "You owe me AWE...." scene from Manhunter is pure perfection, but Red Dragon screws it up by showing too much and at the same time tries too hard to shock the audience with the use of blood and horror.

Even though Brian Cox only has about 8-10 minutes in Manhunter, I still prefer his version of Hannibal Lecter/Lecktor over Hopkins in Red Dragon any day.

When Red Dragon was released Hopkins had gone from a true classic movie monster to become almost an wise cracking "good guy" that people cheered for and hoped would escape with a "happy" ending.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

It seems like Michael Mann's classic debut Thief is getting another Blu-Ray version as the Thief Limited Edition is just around the corner with a release date the 5th of February.

Last year the film was given a great Criterion release too, but what I really wish for is an complete and restored Blu-Ray version of Manhunter.

I think Thief has about 4-5 Blu-Ray releases over the past few years but only one I can think of Manhunter, but then again I have seen some pictures of a limited Steelbook version but not sure if its just the same one with a different "clothing".