Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

I've noticed a few episodes look kind of dark on the DVDs. I've seen the same episodes look good In syndication. I'd jump on a Blu Ray release!

• 1 month later...

Do you remember the fire on Universal Studios back on 2008? There was a lot of talk back then about Miami Vice footage being destroyed... That could be in the way of a future Blu-ray release...

Also, I wish they would do a better work on preserving the original Miami Vice colors, but I don't count on it.... Most movie releases I've seen messed up on DVD in terms of colors, some years after I would see then once again messed up on Blu-ray (but with more definition).... So I'm ready to see back again everything in Vice a little warmer in tone, stronger reds, weaker blues, thinner shadows, sometimes a somewhat "vinegar" sea.... Not so different than what used to happen with old polaroids, only less radical. I regret that 80's prints are too old to look naturally good and too young to have major restoration processes... So we will keep seeing movies from the '50s looking a lot better than Vice on Home Video.

Also I'm sure they wouldn't use better sources than the ones they used on DVD... They could do some homework and present Hit List/Calderone's Demise instead of Calderone's Return I/II, and that's just one example... But I bet it won't happen.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Some form of high-res re-release of the DVD's would definitely make me watch them again. Kids are getting older now - would love to sit through some of it with hy eldest boy like I did Star Wars - real good bonding-time.

I regret that 80's prints are too old to look naturally good and too young to have major restoration processes... So we will keep seeing movies from the '50s looking a lot better than Vice on Home Video.

Good point. I was watching the twilight zone on Netflix and it looked like it could've been filmed yesterday. I was amazed by the quality. I then stick my MV dvd in and it looks like trash. ;(

Edited by thedeparted94

I still can't believe it's not been done yet. Where's our Blu ray DVDs for Miami Vice???

Universal Studios is probably the worst with getting Blu-rays out for anything and even when they do they usually do such a sloppy job that they're barely an upgrade from the DVD version and sometimes worse when they go for digitally manipulating the picture to make it more clean and digitized in look. I hope a secondary label like Shout! Factory would get a hold of the series in the near future as the timing right now is great given that the series now seems to be enjoying some success on Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Channel.

• Like 2

Well if they ever get their act together and it IS released the music better be correct.

I remember seeing WKRP on the American network and all the music was dubbed in. When it played in re-runs in Canada on the Canadian Comedy Network, at least the original songs were still intact for each episode. I guess they paid more to have the song rights aired??????????

Miami vice with dubbed music would be senseless no matter how good the quality of the picture. Lets hope they get the original stuff!

Edited by Stinger390X

Rodriguez should have asked Michael Mann if there was any plans for a bluray when he was a guest on the El Rey network.

But yeh Universal suck. 

Real behind-the-scenes extras would be nice, not like what the extras were the first time around out, but real behind the scenes stuff in real interviews with them now and things like that. I would even like bloopers!

One of the best things they could find to put on there, would be Don Johnson, and Philip Michael Thomas original audition that we keep hearing about where they had chemistry.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
Do not trust !!! This page comes from Venezuela !! 
And if you do not currently have no milk in the supermarket, as they will have this ??? ... 
I do not think it's possible ...
Is a fake page would say ...
This is done to pay it and then you send in any case not the bluray dvd !!!
If it were true it would be more pages ... I do not think they have only taken in Venezuela ...
Edited by buddyloves

• 1 month later...

Have you guys seen that they're re-releasing S1 and S2 on May 3rd?  The good news is that although they're not Blu-Ray they are standard def releases from a new HD master.  So they could potentially have a BRD release soon.  For $15 each season I'll probably pick them up since my old ones are looking pretty bad and who knows, maybe their success will help gauge interest for a BRD release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Miami-Vice-Seasons-1-and-2/22068

-Brian W

1 hour ago, Brian W said:

Have you guys seen that they're re-releasing S1 and S2 on May 3rd?  The good news is that although they're not Blu-Ray they are standard def releases from a new HD master.  So they could potentially have a BRD release soon.  For $15 each season I'll probably pick them up since my old ones are looking pretty bad and who knows, maybe their success will help gauge interest for a BRD release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Miami-Vice-Seasons-1-and-2/22068

-Brian W

Looking forward to see if this release does indeed look HD:dance2::balloon:

• 3 weeks later...

I'll wait for screencaps but if it's those higher quality eps that they did for season 1 (which someone on this site was very gracious enough to link me to a while back) then I'm all in!!

• Administrators
10 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

I'll wait for screencaps but if it's those higher quality eps that they did for season 1 (which someone on this site was very gracious enough to link me to a while back) then I'm all in!!

They say they remastered it in HD, but it would be downscaled though. The maximum resolution for plain old DVD is 480p for NTSC and 576p for PAL.

It's far from HD, but it might be more clear than the old DVD's. The old DVD's were a bit fuzzy, so this would clear that up, however your HD TV will upscale it which will pixelate it a bit. Things tend to look a bit better on TV compared to PC.

So, saying that - I too would like to see screenshots first. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Leigh Burne said:

Really hope the do a UK release!

That shouldn't be a big hangup.  Do a Google search for  region free DVD . . .

5 hours ago, airtommy said:

That shouldn't be a big hangup.  Do a Google search for  region free DVD . . .

I do all my home video watching on a PS4. I'd rather just get a UK release than go out and get a whole other Blu-ray player just to watch a region A version of Vice.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got this set for my birthday.  I was a bit disappointed comparing it to the DVD set I already had.  I know the video quality wouldn't be better but I expected better menus and at least an episode summary like the DVD release had.  There really isn't a lot of value in this set unless you want fewer discs and have blu-ray players everywhere you intend to watch.  I would have stuck with DVD but I was missing a couple of discs, hence the Blu-ray set buy.

Edited by IA-SteveB

I thought we all agreed the Blu Ray video quality was better. ?(

Edited by Dadrian