Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

41 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

So, did you buy Elephant Films release? 

It’s not my copy, but yeah all from the regular (not Fnac exclusive) version. Compared with the US Mill Creek one :)

17 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

interesting review bodie. but this is really for purists. i mean all the details you describe above are barely visible on pictures. there's honestly no chance to be bothered by something on screen, IMHO

Hehe, yeah! If you are on a small or Apple screen then you won’t see anything in the images, but on a big monitor the differences are there. And watching big is what Blu-ray is for.

But yes, absolutely for purists; they want a lot of money for the Elephant set, so if you don’t need/can’t use French extras, I think it’s important to know if there is any point spending the money dipping again for the series when many of us already have the Mill Creek Blu-rays :)

• Administrators

@bodie Nice review, the Elephant release does look sharper. Can you post some screenshots which aren't zoomed in? Just so we can get a proper look at it? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leigh Burne said:

I'm assuming the existing UK release uses the same masters as the Mill Creek set? Anyone know?

There is only one set of HD masters - a complete remaster for the first episode only and the rest off the shelf. The UK set only has the 5.1 remixes and it was produced with the wrong black levels;

On 12/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, Noogie-boy said:

Here's a screencap comparison between the UK and US version: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/117778

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

I'm assuming the existing UK release uses the same masters as the Mill Creek set? Anyone know?

All three of them use the exact same masters from Universal. They sent the exact same thing to all three studios. The UK has the same amateurly done 5.1 audio as the US one, except the US one has both original Stereo and the 5.1 tracks. 

The picture is different too - Fabulous Films over in the UK added more black to get rid of the white-fade look (which Mill Creek has, the faded colours doesn't to the series justice), but they went way too far with it and added too much black (contrast or offset or something). Though it looks ok in the lighter scenes, it looks natural like it was filmed yesterday. The darker scenes like in the comparison link posted above is mostly where you notice that the blacks are too strong. 

I honestly recommend the Mill Creek one, if you watch on a computer. Because most video players allow you to adjust the picture so you can get it just right. + Mill Creek has replacement discs with fixed audio. But if you watch on a Bluray player, you should probably stick to your region. 

note: apple screens hide everything, so don't go blind staring at the caps below, the differences will not show on their screens, you need to be on a properly set up large screen ˅

Edited by bodie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, James said:

@bodie Nice review, the Elephant release does look sharper. Can you post some screenshots which aren't zoomed in? Just so we can get a proper look at it? 

Thanks, sure. Now with this, unless you are on a big monitor, there will be no difference at all - hence why I did the zoomed sections to show what differences there are :)

when the thumbnails open in a new tab, right click and view image to see 1920x1080, then if you get the matched one in another tab and do the same and flick back and forth;

NMuvbpMM_t.png

r3gRPfDR_t.png

ZB09MYAq_t.png

YeBbDVrk_t.png

atASrnyh_t.png

RsuLiHB1_t.png

N2ej8mZp_t.png

E5NnP87W_t.png

X5upgSmi_t.png

JMXsewhl_t.png

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, James said:

The picture is different too - Fabulous Films over in the UK added more black to get rid of the white-fade look (which Mill Creek has, the faded colours doesn't to the series justice), but they went way too far with it and added too much black (contrast or offset or something). Though it looks ok in the lighter scenes, it looks natural like it was filmed yesterday. The darker scenes like in the comparison link posted above is mostly where you notice that the blacks are too strong.

more on this issue, with screen captures, in our discussion here last year, if anyone interested wasn't here at the time :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Shame that neither version sounds particularly satisfactory. But the lack of original stereo on the UK release is really frustrating. Maybe I'll have to shell out for the French version. I guess at least shipping won't be so bad for me if it's only coming across the Channel!

2 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Thanks guys.

Shame that neither version sounds particularly satisfactory. But the lack of original stereo on the UK release is really frustrating. Maybe I'll have to shell out for the French version. I guess at least shipping won't be so bad for me if it's only coming across the Channel!

I really would wait for reduction, it can't stay ꞓ150 forever and so much of what it does is no use to non-French speakers. And you've waited this long, what's a bit more? ;)

Also, I would wait until after the festive crunch as amazon France are sending them out just in plastic bags, not even a shipping box. Don't know what Fnac use, but their version of the set is bigger and more fragile anyway :rolleyes:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bodie:

Also, I would wait until after the festive crunch as amazon France are sending them out just in plastic bags, not even a shipping box. Don't know what Fnac use, but their version of the set is bigger and more fragile anyway :rolleyes:

The box itself hasn't been sold by AmzonFR itself, yet. The currently avaible boxes on AmzonFR are sold by a third party company, namely "DIRECT_DVD_EU". I assume the retail price will drop soon once AmzonFR receives their own shipment.

PS: Thanks a lot for your review.

Edited by Noogie-boy
  • Like 1

You’re welcome. That seller is Elephant, the publisher, but the orders are fulfilled by amazon themselves. The regular version is the same price on fnac and price minister, it’ll come down in time :)

the Crockett's theme played in some seasons menu is cool. clean, and nice version. definitely one of the greatest versions i've heard so far. i'm really curious about which version they used for this. could be a homemade remastering too

Edited by jpm1

21 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

the Crockett's theme played in some seasons menu is cool. clean, and nice version. definitely one of the greatest versions i've heard so far. i'm really curious about which version they used for this. could be a homemade remastering too

Geez I’d love to hear that!!

it's copyrighted stuff, so sadly even if i want, i can't share it :(.  but it has soft, and relaxing tones. really cool :thumbsup:. plus even if i wanted, i don't own any PC BR reader, so i can't even extract it :)

Zitat

Ihr wollt es, ihr bekommt es: Hinter dem finalen Türchen von unserem #KOCHventskalender verbirgt sich ganz besonderer Glanz in Sachen Ausblick für 2019!
Denn Weihnachten liegt "in the Air tonight", wenn wir endlich wieder das Traumpaar der 80er vereinen. Ganz genau: Crocket und Tubbs (natürlich die echten!) gehen wieder auf Streife, jagen fiese Drogenbarone, lassen die heiße Sonne Floridas auf den Ferrari knallen und wenn dann noch Zeit ist, wird Elvis gefüttert.

You want it, you get it: behind the final door of our #cook calendar hides very special shine in the view of 2019!
Because Christmas is "in the air tonight", when we finally reunite the 80 s. Exactly: Crockett and Tubbs (of course the real ones! ) go back on patrol, hunt nasty drug barons, let the hot sun of Florida pop on the Ferrari and when there is still time, Elvis is fed.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/KochFilms/posts/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So the best transfer for sound and picture quality is the frech elephant version, followed by the US version, with UK version last? Is that fair?

• Like 2

Season 3 (the fabulous films release) audio seems very low compared to 1&2, anybody else experiencing the same thing? I watched "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" last night and the audio is so low compared to "Sons & Lovers"

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, BlackJack said:

So the best transfer for sound and picture quality is the frech elephant version, followed by the US version, with UK version last? Is that fair?

I think it would appear so yes.

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Season 3 (the fabulous films release) audio seems very low compared to 1&2, anybody else experiencing the same thing? I watched "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" last night and the audio is so low compared to "Sons & Lovers"

I’m rewatching Season 3 on blu- ray and haven’t come across any problems at all. The sound correction issues on the original released set for some of the Season 1 episodes have been corrected as I have a newer set and no glitches... yet! :hippie::hippie:

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah I have the same release and I think it is a bit low. It's the voice that's low and you can barely hear it and have to turn it up a bit, but the music tracks seem normal to me. I usually watch late at night with my TV volume on 10 but for season 3 I have to turn it up to 12. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, James said:

Yeah I have the same release and I think it is a bit low. It's the voice that's low and you can barely hear it and have to turn it up a bit, but the music tracks seem normal to me. I usually watch late at night with my TV volume on 10 but for season 3 I have to turn it up to 12. 

This is why broadcast stereo should have been included - the show was not designed in 5.1. It's fine if it works, but the Mill Creek and Elephant releases are preferable because (aside form other issues) they have the option for stereo.

• Like 1