Episode 36 One Way Ticket

miamijimf

Posted: 15 May 2006 at 5:19am by DanJI believe the building south of the bridge with the pool was used as the apartment building where several characters stayed in the TV series South Beach.

Posted: 26 December 2006 at 11:28pm by airtommyOK, time to attack this episode. 1. House in opening scene 2. Nightclub where they bust Sagot 3. Establishing shot of the "Police" building (11:34) 4. Horse track 5. Airport 6. Firing range 7. Tommy's garage 8. Fein Gallery 9. Sagot taunts Switek & Trudy 10. Boat chase 11. Final scene I'll be posting my ideas on these locations soon. The most intriguing mystery to me right now is #1.

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:43am by airtommy1. Wedding house in opening scene Near the 4:18 mark, behind Crockett & Tubbs, it looks almost as if there is a tall building looming behind the house. But the most important information in this scene is the background behind the boat as it speeds away. There is a tiny sandy island, behind that a bigger island, and of course the coast line behind that. My wild guess is that this house is north of the Pink House, somewhere between 100th and 122nd. Trivia: Jan Hammer is shown on camera playing a keyboard during this scene.

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 1:40am by airtommy9. Sagot taunts Switek & Trudy This entire scene takes place on northbound Washington Avenue in South Beach. NOTE: The yellow arrow is where Crockett & Tubbs turn during the "Brothers in Arms" driving scene near the end of "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"Eingefügtes Bild#1 = Angler's Hotel - 634 Washington Ave - renovation news - official website #2 = unknown #3 - Blackstone Apartments - 800 Washington Ave. 31:52 - Sagot is driving on Washington Ave. On his left, one can glimpse the Angler's Hotel. 32:00 - They pull up to the intersection of 7th Ave. Building #2 is visible just to the left of the center of Switek's windshield. 32:25-32:29 - Sagot drives by building #2 32:35 - They again pull up to the 7th Ave intersection. 32:47 - After Sagot shifts into reverse and goes back to taunt them, the Blackstone Apartment building is now visible. It appears they are sitting directly in the middle of an intersection! I am a little confused about what intersection this is. It looks like they are about half a block south of 8th Ave.

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:02am by airtommy11. Final scene ("Bang, you're dead.") I believe this is on the eastern side of Virginia Key. This area has the rock jetties to match what you see in the episode. Also, looking south is the wooded area of Key Biscayne, which seems to match what we see in the ep. Approximate address: 1870 Arthur Lamb Jr Rd. Key Biscayne, FL

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 6:32am by airtommy7. Tommy's Garage This no longer exists. I believe RB has told us this was on Biscayne Blvd. across from the Omni, and has been replaced by a Metromover station. I think it's on Biscayne between 15th St and 14th Ter, but I'm not exactly sure. Did Dan or Jeremy post a picture of this once?

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 2:26pm by miamijimfOriginally posted by airtommy11. Final scene ("Bang, you're dead.") I believe this is on the eastern side of Virginia Key. This area has the rock jetties to match what you see in the episode. Also, looking south is the wooded area of Key Biscayne, which seems to match what we see in the ep. Approximate address: 1870 Arthur Lamb Jr Rd. Key Biscayne, FL There seems little doubt here. On Google the jetties look longer but this is probably due to beach erosion and maybe the tide. Don't think Virginia Key has had a beach renourishment project.

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 4:24pm by MATT5Ref the house in the opening scene - I am not sure but believe this looks similar to where Crockett/ Caitlin had dinner in "Like A Hurricane " - I will check it out as I have the script. I believe this may be the same location. I will check it out and post back .

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 7:24pm by SOFLAJEREMYI am currently in the process of moving up the beach and will not be up and running for prob. about a week. Then i can catch up with postings and trivia locations so please excuse my lack of contributions in the interim. I am not even set up to watch the eps. Ugh! Btw tommys was I think on 15th off biscayne. It was located on the street that runs along the south side of the omni and is now a metro rail station. I will post pics when I get set up. Cannot wait to join back in the investigations.

Posted: 27 December 2006 at 11:10pm by airtommyOriginally posted by SOFLAJEREMYI am currently in the process of moving up the beach Will there be hubcaps on the wall and Hemingway on the table?

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 12:51am by SOFLAJEREMYOriginally posted by airtommyOriginally posted by SOFLAJEREMYI am currently in the process of moving up the beach Will there be hubcaps on the wall and Hemingway on the table? Don't know, some quirky guy just showed up at my door, barged in flashing his designer id and said not to worry he would take care of nothing, said something like minimalista, took my wallet and said I would like it, it would make me feel like I lived in Florida.

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 1:00am by MATT5Originally posted by airtommy1. Wedding house in opening scene Near the 4:18 mark, behind Crockett & Tubbs, it looks almost as if there is a tall building looming behind the house. But the most important information in this scene is the background behind the boat as it speeds away. There is a tiny sandy island, behind that a bigger island, and of course the coast line behind that. My wild guess is that this house is north of the Pink House, somewhere between 100th and 122nd. Trivia: Jan Hammer is shown on camera playing a keyboard during this scene. As I said I believe this was the location in "Like A Hurricane" when Crockett and Caitlin have dinner at the restaurant ( 60 bucks for Oysters! )...now its only a hunch but check it out ,I have the details from the "Like A Hurricane" script: Quayside Great House / Great House Dock Biscayne Bay 10670 N.E. Quay Plaza North Miami .

Posted: 29 December 2006 at 3:27am by airtommyThat is one scene I am eager to see when the DVD is released. In the meantime, that address is not on the bay, but it could be referring to something close by. That's definitely the area I was thinking of.

Posted: 30 December 2006 at 12:34am by MATT5I noticed that the address is not on the bay - but close by ( typical google earth) - I couldnt match up the exact location with the location report for the restaurant from "Like A Hurricane" but seems to be the right direction.

Posted: 05 April 2007 at 2:17am by MATT5After checking with Microsoft Live Birds Eye View - I checked this area again but it does not cry out 100% correct although there is a small marina backing onto Biscayne Bay. The Country Club seems to be more inland than appears in "One Way Ticket" - the back porch area / backing onto Biscayne Bay does appear to link it to the dinner scene from "Like a Hurricane"

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 7:59am by airtommyOpening Scene - Wedding Ceremony I believe this is at 5000 Towerside Terrace in Miami Shores. Eingefügtes BildI noticed the matching architecture in Cuba Libre. The key confirmation is the high-rise that looms in the background behind C&T as they shoot at the getaway boat. It is only visible for a few frames. It matches perfectly with the high-rise seen here.

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 8:29am by tom71according to the address this should be the same dock as in "Like a hurricane"

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 1:31pm by MATT5yes that is it - also the restaurant where Sonny and Caitlin had dinner in "Like A Hurricane" and where the ensuring shootout occured after which spread over into Biscayne Bay . Address in "Like A Hurricane" Script -10670 NE Quay Plaza/ Quayside Great House, North Miami which is just along from Towerside Terrace. That's a great find.

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 6:00am by DanJThis is the beach in "Bimini" where C&T go looking for Thurmond after he fakes his death in a plane crash. It is actually Virginia Key. I am posting a wide view of the area, as well as a closeup view:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildX: C&T walk along the beach. Crockett says something like, "Three laps around this sandbox is enough for me."X: Thurmond is fishing at the end of a jetty. C&T walk up behind him, try to convince him to come back and testify. He refuses and pays Crockett a compliment. At the very end of the scene/ep, Crockett concedes, saying, "The heck with it. You wanna be dead? Bang! You're dead!"Jeremy and I believe this is the same beach area used in "No Exit" when Tubbs meets with Tony Amato for a demonstration of the anti-aircraft guns.

posted om June 30, 2009 by Papa LegbaWhilst not one of my all time favourites, this was a solid episode that continues the strength of Season two. I too considered the parallels between Crockett and Thurmond, and in particular the flying/shooting range scene. There was also another theme in this episode. The book "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" talks about how women want to talk about their problems, and men just retreat to their "cave" in times of arguments or stress. It's basically wherever guys go to let off some steam and collect their thoughts. Every man has to have his escape. For Crockett, who at the time was not only grieving over Richard Langley, and who was also ruminating over how much he hated Thurmond, this was the shooting range. I also felt that the reason why Crockett chose the shooting range to let off steam was to discharge his anger towards Thurmond. The significance lay in the fact that the shooting range attendant registered a great deal of surprise when Crockett asked him to "set em up again". It was as if he was that full of negative energy, he felt like he needed to shoot a few more things before he got it out of his system.With Thurmond, his retreat was his plane. In a later scene we again see an attendant speak to him (just as in the shooting range scene with Crockett). As the attendant says, Flying was Thurmond's "high altitude meditation". For Faber, his escape was his horses and his range, for Sagot it was driving his fast car and posing.I loved the nightclub scene at "La Lue". Although I was never a big fan of "Kurie" in the 80's, since then it's grown on me.The boat chase scene was certainly the best boat chase scene in any Vice episode in my opinion, and one of the best chase sequences full stop. During our first trip to Miami, I suggested to my dad that we hire a boat. We were told that there was a guy at 44th and Collins who hired out boats and we hired one for an hour or two. It wasn't until I got home and watched "One Way Ticket" at a later date that I realised that the route we took followed the same one from the Boat chase in the episode. During both of our subsequent trips, we hired the boat from a different guy based at 24th and Collins, which is where the actual bridge is that Crockett jumps from at the end of the chase. The route that Sagot takes is this...Eingefügtes BildThe beginning of the chase starts on the left hand side of the above picture and ends on the right. Sagot initially dives in the boat and sets off North into Biscayne Bay. The boat then passes under two bridges, the first bridge should be MacArthur Causeway, but it isn't. The scene misses out MacArthur Causeway bridge and instead you see Sagot pass under the following bridge (Venetian Way bridge) twice. On the repeat passing you see what appears to be Crockett and Tubbs pull to a stop (A) having travelled from the East (the camera angle appears to be looking south from Sagot's perspective). Which means in the minute it must have taken Sagot to get to this bridge (he was travelling at speed), Crockett and Tubbs must have driven all the way back to Miami Beach along MacArthur Causeway, then headed North up Miami Beach, then west along Venetian Causeway. A journey of approximately seven miles!Following Venetian Way bridge, a huge chunck is missed out of the chase (in red, between points B and C). There are then two possible direct routes that Sagot could have taken. Sagot had to have travelled along an inlet that links Biscayne Bay to Indian Creek, which is accessible via two points in Biscayne Bay. This is evident by the fact that as the chase resumes on camera, you see him take a hard right and exit this inlet into Indian Creek. At this point ©, he makes a jet skier fall over, then he heads South along Indian Creek. Crockett and Tubbs then reappear travelling across a small bridge (which I don't recognise), then reappear travelling South on Indian Creek drive, just South of Arthur Godfrey road bridge. You see Sagot sail through this bridge as Crockett and Tubbs are travelling down Indian Creek drive on the right hand side of the screen (D). Bizarrely, you then see Crockett and Tubbs travelling down what appears to be MacArthur Causeway, apparantly losing sight of Sagot, over three miles away from where they should be! (at 39:55 into the episode). From what I can tell, the camera was on a boat near Star Island at point E, and the Daytona was around point F. Sagot then appears to travel north back up Indian Creek, before travelling south again. There could however be a logical reason for this. Once realising that he was entering a dead at which he was cornered at 24th and Collins, he may have tried to escape North, only to come across another police boat coming at him in the opposite direction. The chase then ends at the bridge that marks the end of Indian Creek at 24th and Collins, when Sagot realises that there is nowhere for him to go. Eingefügtes BildRoute viewed from Miami Beach.The reason why the area between B and C may have been cut out of the final scene may not just be to do with condensing the scene between Chalks and the dead end at Indian Creek. From sailing through this area, this whole area (especially the inlet between Biscayne Bay and Indian Creek), is a Manatee zone, and boats are asked to sail slowly through these areas. Therefore the director of the episode may have had to observe this rule on the understanding that filming a high speed boat chase may not be a good enough reason to sacrifice the lives of a large number of Manatees in the process.All in all a very good episode. 8 out of 10. __________________"I walk with the living... AND the dead... as I see fit!"

Papa Legba , a very good post ref. the boat chase - however , you are correct we are given the impression Sagot went under the Macarthur Cswy to the Venetian Cswy.You mentioned Sagot went under the Venetian Cswy ( twice ) at Ne 15th St area near Downtown - in fact the bridge they went under was way down on the Venetian Cswy(3 miles away! ) at the Miami Beach end toward Alton Rd/Bell Island Park and the Sunset Islands. Here : http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=25.791072~-80.145317&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&sp=Point.n8yhbc89n0jh_B%2Fg%20Buildings%20on%20Island%20Dr____~Point.n8yqm589n2s4_Bridge%20nr.Dade%20Bvld.____&encType=1This is the bridge Sagot goes past twice towards Dade Bvld - there are two background buildings on Island Ave on the East side, unchanged Today. Crockett , also , stops the Daytona on this bridge and looks over the side for Sagot looking South. In true MV fashion they went over this area a few times before one more shot in the Venetian Is where you can make out 1000 Venetian Way ("Heart of Darkness"/"By Hooker , By Crook " ) in the background looking South.

• 8 months later...

Hey, well spotted Matt.To be honest I think the footage had me fooled! You see Sagot seemingly speeding in a straight line under MacArthur causeway, then next immediately under Venetian causeway. So it gives the impression that he crossed under Venetian causeway at point A on my map. Again, I'm assuming there may have been a reason behind the deception. I know that if you accidentally stray too far into the central area between mainland Miami and Miami beach, beyond the flags, the area is shallower and full of reeds. So you run the risk of being grounded. This happened to me once when sailing through the same area. I was looking out for the flags, couldn't find one of them, then wandered too far into the central area and the boat's motor stalled by getting caught in some reeds/grass. Luckily I managed to pull them out, and slowly sailed back out of the red zone.If you look at my map, you can see these shallower areas look blue, and the deeper areas look green. There does seem to be more boats (the tiny white tadpole looking streaks in the water) in the green areas than the blue.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Teaser / Opening Scene - Wedding & shooting also seen in "Like A Hurricane" Sonny and Caitlin eat at restaurant . 4000 Towerside Terrace , Biscayne Bvld , Miami .:D ( from my 2011 Miami trip )[ATTACH=CONFIG]7728[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965452011_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Teaser - "One Way Ticket " - and "Like a Hurricane " shooting outide restaurant.:DExteriors - Towerside Terrace.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7732[/ATTACH]

post-122-13892965455543_thumb.jpg

• Like 1