Episode 36 One Way Ticket

miamijimf

Gerade eben schrieb miamijimf:

Fantastic gentlemen, I usually think I can't be more impressed with your detective work but today you've proved me wrong. :clap:

That´s so much fun! Can´t they just film another season so that we don´t run out of this fun work?:funky:

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

That´s so much fun! Can´t they just film another season so that we don´t run out of this fun work?:funky:

That would be great but unlikely.  I hate to sound like a broken record but don't forget Burn Notice and there are unknown locations in major Miami movies on Jeremy's site - you already know the territory.

Edited by miamijimf

Here is a full comparison of the entrance door of the former Hokin Gallery 1086 Kane Concourse (now a Bubble Clothes store). In 2016 a new gallery (ABRA) opened at that address but it closed.

https://hauteliving.com/2016/02/miamis-new-abra-gallery-celebrates-grand-opening-this-week/602653/

Below we see the only interior picture of the gallery I could find (opening night of the ABRA gallery in 2016), but it gives a good comparison with this 1985 episode (interior segregation walls have been changed/removed of course as main difference)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-22 um 14.35.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-22 um 14.38.00.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-22 um 15.53.47.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

I suppose it would look funny if I walked into a women's clothing store, snapped a photo of a fire extinguisher, and walked out?

:)

• Haha 1

vor 5 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

I suppose it would look funny if I walked into a women's clothing store, snapped a photo of a fire extinguisher, and walked out?

:)

Indeed. As the fire extinguisher is the only item in the store that is not for sale. But if you tell them that you are a Miami Vice location scout and not an arsonist they will understand and be relieved for sure! :p

This was for sure the most non-clustered location episode ever! One location in Homestead, one in north Lauderdale (why this airport?), two in South beach 5 blocks apart, one on Bay Harbor Island’s, one at Quayhouse (close to studio), one at Virginia Key. No wonder DJ and PMT were doubled at the horse farm to save them the travel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 19.4.2021 um 12:51 schrieb Tom:

UNKNOWN LOCATION: DECOY HOTEL ROOM FOUND?

I think we have a 80% chance that the hotel room where C&T find the decoy/relay phone was the Victor Hotel at 1144 Ocean Drive. This time it is only 80% and less consistent clues, but some circumstantial evidence

1. 1. no other hotel or Miami Beach hotel locations used or nearby in this episode (closest was 6/7 block of Washington), but this was an Art Deco hotel
  2. The room number (4-digits are suspicious for fake as no hotel had more than 999 rooms back then maybe except the Fontainbleau which is not Art Deco) says 7501 which would mean the first room at sea front on a 7th floor. The Victor has 8 floors. 7 floors are rare in Miami Beach hotels.
  3. In the room we see a "Victor" picture reversed in the mirror- I doubt that in 1985 then run down Art Deco hotels they had image posters or ads for other hotels or artists in the rooms. But many hotels had posters of their own hotel in the guest rooms, also seen in other episodes (e.g. the Fairmont). Does anyone know who gave the Victor its name? I could not find anything on that name origin.
  4. The configuration we see in the episode could match with the floor plan of the Victor
  5. This episode started filming on Monday 16 September. The previous episode, Junk LOve, wrapped filming on Friday 13 September 1985 and used the Victor a lot, but only the lobby and one room that rather looked like a side room of the lobby than e real guest room (last picture below - I could not find any similarities of guest rooms for that reason). It would have been convenient to use that hotel again on Monday 

Feedback or other ideas appreciated!

P.S. other episodes with the Victor (Heroes of the revolution) only used the lobby or at least no guest rooms to compare. The Victor was completely renovated and no old interior pics available.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 01.23.28.png

LAST LOCATION OF THIS EPISODE FOUND&CONFIRMED: THE VICTOR HOTEL  @C Glide

Here is the final proof that this hotel really was the Victor. I have found the original of the reverse picture in the mirror. It is an old vintage poster of the Victor by famous Deco Artist Woody Vondracek. It was printed by the Victor hotel. Vondracek was a car mechanic without any art education who became famous in the early 80s for making posters of old Art Deco Hotels in South Beachi. Finally, he did more than 40 of them, including two of the Victor. What I great piece of nostalgia, Phil the Shill would say :funky:

http://thedecoartist.com/

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-05 um 21.25.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-05 um 21.31.43.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, airtommy said:

This arch is something to look for.  I did not flip this picture.

fein1.png

CROCKEEEEER! :)

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

I found great pictures of the Tijodee horse farm taken in 2008, that was apparently the first time the farm was offered on the internet. These pictures are much older than the current ones when we found it this April, thus better represent the good state the farm was once in (it was builtl one year before filming for VICE there) and not the current state where it is already very deteriorated after 10+years of non-use.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.54.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.55.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.55.21.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.55.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.55.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.56.08.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.56.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.56.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.57.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-31 um 19.57.23.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
vor 10 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

You’re taking us on quite a joyride today @Tom:p

Well, a lot of location fotos have been piling up with me, so I wanted to share. Especially with pictures that we had never seen before (restricted or remote areas like interior of courtrooms, ....).  And it is fun, to make the 1:1 comparison pics with episodes just to find out that many locations look exactly like in the 80s. Hope you liked it.:cool:

• Like 1