Episode 36 One Way Ticket

miamijimf

• 4 months later...
West Los Angeles Community PD at 1663 Butler Avenue at the Iowa / Butler Avenue intersection , Los Angeles ( near Westwood ). This location was obviously stock footage doing the rounds from other big 80s shows such as " Murder She Wrote " and "Dynasty" .Nice Picture - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=west+los+angeles+community+butler+avenue&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=2ABF0D7D8AEB30C7D5494B6359CA4F782770CBA4&selectedIndex=6
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Rewatched this episode last nite - great locations and a few LA stock footage locations I visited last year in Los Angeles.

The Butler Avenue Police Deaprtment is unchanged - and in the 1980s was standard stock footage as a Police Department in shows such as "Hunter" and "Dynasty" - a few directors on Miami Vice also worked on those two shows I noticed.:dance2:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Three unknown clips in the boat chase:

One_Way1.png

That building is Artie's condo in "Heart of Darkness", so that puts Sagot's boat northwest of Biscayne Island at the west end of the Venetian Causeway.

One_Way2.png

That house is 3541 Flamingo Drive.  Notice the chimney in the middle:  http://binged.it/22XaKSF 

One_Way3.png

That house is 3017 Flamingo Drive:  http://binged.it/1X59YvT 

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2011 at 7:01 AM, C Glide said:

I have posted this episode on my location web site. Check it out at http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net

I was flipping channels and watched a few minutes of "Kojak" with Telly Savalas.  It was Season 2 Episode 19 "Night of the Piraeus".  All of a sudden I see an exterior shot of a place called "Fein Gallery" with a yellow awning extending out from the entrance.  It looked very much like what we see in "One Way Ticket":

feingallery.png.5ab7cfdbb7f25db3ebc3b707099387a8.png

Kojak was mostly filmed on studio backlots in Los Angeles, but they also did some filming in New York.  Since this was just a setup shot, it could be either. I don't remember if the windows and lamps were there in the Kojak scene.  It would be great if somebody could watch this on Hulu or some other website and save a screenshot of the camera shot from Kojak so we can compare.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, airtommy said:

I was flipping channels and watched a few minutes of "Kojak" with Telly Savalas.  It was Season 2 Episode 19 "Night of the Piraeus".  All of a sudden I see an exterior shot of a place called "Fein Gallery" with a yellow awning extending out from the entrance.  It looked very much like what we see in "One Way Ticket":

feingallery.png.5ab7cfdbb7f25db3ebc3b707099387a8.png

Kojak was mostly filmed on studio backlots in Los Angeles, but they also did some filming in New York.  Since this was just a setup shot, it could be either. I don't remember if the windows and lamps were there in the Kojak scene.  It would be great if somebody could watch this on Hulu or some other website and save a screenshot of the camera shot from Kojak so we can compare.

Interesting stuff !

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Kojak was a Universal show just like Miami Vice, so it would make sense if they used stock footage from the Universal library.

Nice to see you posting again airtommy :cheers:

• 1 year later...

I had always assumed that we'd never find the location of the interior scenes at the Fein Gallery, but then I noticed that we can see out the door in the background.  Several times a car drives by.  That rules out Lincoln Road.  I suspect this was a real art gallery. 

I zoomed in on the door and enlarged it.  Maybe someone with Blu Ray can get better clarity.

Quayside is a possibility.

fein4b.png.063f6a8299c1a6e2c2275bf6499a82ea.png

fein3b.thumb.png.f2fd61c4b3c79f82a0aad1a1539fcb8c.png

Edited by airtommy

15 hours ago, airtommy said:

I had always assumed that we'd never find the location of the interior scenes at the Fein Gallery, but then I noticed that we can see out the door in the background.  Several times a car drives by.  That rules out Lincoln Road.  I suspect this was a real art gallery. 

I zoomed in on the door and enlarged it.  Maybe someone with Blu Ray can get better clarity.

Quayside is a possibility.

fein4b.png.063f6a8299c1a6e2c2275bf6499a82ea.png

fein3b.thumb.png.f2fd61c4b3c79f82a0aad1a1539fcb8c.png

That’s a tough one - I agree with the bushes and trees that way it doesn’t look like Lincoln Rd.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

The horse farm in this episode is also a mystery.

There is a horse track nearby. There are not that many horse farms in Dade County.  One has to check them one by one. My gut feel says it‘s north of Miami in the Lauderdale or even Palm Beach area. Most of the scenes there were shot with Crockett&Tubbs stand-ins (Bobby Foxworth and Ernie Robinson) anyway.

• 1 month later...

Thurmond is fishing from a rock jetty at the end of the episode.  We know this was the eastern shore of Virginia Key.  I'm trying to pinpoint the exact jetty.  When C&T approach, you see a patch of greenery on the beach at the end of the jetty behind them.

OneWay11.png.34285629174767166b80c470960176c7.png

In the 1986 aerial, as luck would have it only one of the jetties has such a patch of vegetation:

OneWay12.png.2eeed7863ab6a522887aac71347d90fe.png

You see the green patch again behind Thurmond as he goes to pack up his things:

OneWay10.png.8b1477a2c9616e5a138df97c31224b38.png

So it seems Thurmond and C&T must have been standing one jetty to the north of the blue circle.  That would be the yellow circle, just one jetty south of where they tested out a missile in "No Exit".

OneWay13.png.fc0f75d83da55d0f9abb518064b2225d.png

The only issue is that the yellow-circled jetty looks almost non-existent in 1986.  It's fully there in more recent years.  Is that just a quirk of the tides and bad sat pic technology?  Or was there no jetty there in 1986 and was Thurmond actually standing on the jetty at the "No Exit" spot?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Thurmond is fishing from a rock jetty at the end of the episode.  We know this was the eastern shore of Virginia Key.  I'm trying to pinpoint the exact jetty.  When C&T approach, you see a patch of greenery on the beach at the end of the jetty behind them.

OneWay11.png.34285629174767166b80c470960176c7.png

In the 1986 aerial, as luck would have it only one of the jetties has such a patch of vegetation:

OneWay12.png.2eeed7863ab6a522887aac71347d90fe.png

You see the green patch again behind Thurmond as he goes to pack up his things:

OneWay10.png.8b1477a2c9616e5a138df97c31224b38.png

So it seems Thurmond and C&T must have been standing one jetty to the north of the blue circle.  That would be the yellow circle, just one jetty south of where they tested out a missile in "No Exit".

OneWay13.png.fc0f75d83da55d0f9abb518064b2225d.png

The only issue is that the yellow-circled jetty looks almost non-existent in 1986.  It's fully there in more recent years.  Is that just a quirk of the tides and bad sat pic technology?  Or was there no jetty there in 1986 and was Thurmond actually standing on the jetty at the "No Exit" spot?

Great work but didn’t Jeremy say it was the same jetty as “No Exit”’aka Three Eyed Turtle some years ago. That’s the site I photographed anyhow.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, Tom said:

There is a horse track nearby. There are not that many horse farms in Dade County.  One has to check them one by one. My gut feel says it‘s north of Miami in the Lauderdale or even Palm Beach area. Most of the scenes there were shot with Crockett&Tubbs stand-ins (Bobby Foxworth and Ernie Robinson) anyway.

I've recently studied this for the first time and I'm 95% sure it's in Wellington. 

I looked at Dade and Broward horse farms, but their landscaping was plain or even ratty.  When I got to Wellington, suddenly everything looked "right".  Like you say, the fact that they used Don Johnson's stand-in for the arrest scene is very unusual.  Is this the only time they ever did this for a non-action scene?  If this was filmed far away in Palm Beach County, it would explain why DJ didn't appear in the scene.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2019 at 10:59 PM, airtommy said:

I've recently studied this for the first time and I'm 95% sure it's in Wellington. 

I looked at Dade and Broward horse farms, but their landscaping was plain or even ratty.  When I got to Wellington, suddenly everything looked "right".  Like you say, the fact that they used Don Johnson's stand-in for the arrest scene is very unusual.  Is this the only time they ever did this for a non-action scene?  If this was filmed far away in Palm Beach County, it would explain why DJ didn't appear in the scene.

Very interesting about being in Palm Beach County of course they shot far north on the A1A in “Phil the Shill” and in Lauderdale by the Sea for the Pilot - but this is slightly more north still by around 45km. This is the farm you mean, Wellington?

85844D98-ECDF-49EA-975E-E98D4822FDD0.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

This is the farm you mean, Wellington?

85844D98-ECDF-49EA-975E-E98D4822FDD0.jpeg

I don't have a specific farm in mind.  There are many in Wellington and most of them look luxurious.  The farm in "One Way Ticket" has large stables, a big oval track, and palm trees flanking the driveway on both sides.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

From the teaser , difficult to get the exact angle due to more extensive tree growth but please see the yellow arrow pointing to the yellow hydrant in the original scene (1986)  to my photos taken in June of this year.

73A6DFEA-659D-4517-A058-91F87164FC8E.jpeg

BC92AD6A-0BF8-472A-A51C-88BF8A497A34.jpeg

850A4FC2-331D-41F1-A026-4D77B28C759C.jpeg

49F69D7D-D111-41C2-8C92-9161DC94A9C7.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3