Question for Jan Hammer

Dadrian

I have read many Jan Hammer interviews and I don't think I have ever came across a question for Jan asking him if he ever watched the finished product of any Miami Vice episodes like the rest of us. Was it just another job to him? Did he ever actually tune in on Friday nights and think, "cool...that's me playing that music."Does anyone else recall a comment on this?

I know Jane Pauley asked PMT what he's doing on "friday nights". He chuckeled and said, "We're working". She said she buys her husband that MIAMI VICE type look in colors she chooses, and loves the show. She replied that it's hard for her to watch the show because she has to get up early. PMT replied, "you can tape it". ....she paused and said, ...."true".... All I know is what JAN HAMMER said in PM MAGAZINE TV SHOW.The interviewer said, "your one of the few people who see MIAMI VICE without any music so howwwww........And Jan finished his sentence with a question .......bad is it???? He then burst out laughing! The interviewer said, well, I wasn't going to say that, but yeah, how bad is it? Jan replies, It's really not that bad! He laughs again. He then says, You see, if the show were bad, I couldn't write good music!

i'm gonna bet he didn't watch on friday nights and he didn't buy the dvd's. what do you guys think?

I'm partly with you.The "I'm so over that" response would be "no, not interested in the DVDs, and I was too busy to watch on Fri nights", even though I see him watching back in the day, when it was first run.

are those quotes hypothetical, rich, or are you refering to an interview?i can see him watching back in the day for sure (at least maybe the first season). like when the beatles turned the radio on to hear themselves in 1963.

For some reason, I would think Hammer is more likely to watch the final product than one of the actors. I'd think he would want to see how the music fits into the final cut of the episode, partly to educate himself for writing music for future episodes. But I doubt he was watching it live, probably on tape.

• Administrators

I remember reading that Jan was shipped a video of the completed episode with the songs of the week already added in and he would compose his score as he watched the episode. So he was actually the first person to see the finished product before it even made it to TV!

I would have to agree with Airtommy on Hammer listening to see how the music fit in with the episode but Ferrariman is right that he composed the music while watching a preview tape at his home studio! :radio:

Jan got the video at his home studio, composed it (didn't read the scripts), spotted it (put music where he felt it should be, performed it, sinced it, mixed it (in stereo, but listened to it thru a little speaker like a tv of that era would have to make sure it sounded good coming thu the little speaker!) then sent it back to the studio, then waited for the next video to arrive.He COULD have watched them in summer reruns.

• Administrators

If I were Jan I would've burned myself a copy!

From the Keyboard Magazine Sep. 85 interview:INT: Why isn't Miami Vice being broadcast in stereo?Jan: It was supposed to have already happened, but as far as I know, it hasn't happened yet. WNBC here in New York is broadcasting some sort of bogus stereo, but to me it sounds like it's done by a stereo-image enhancer.Not 100% definitive, but I think it's safe to believe he watched the show - at least the 1st season.goozer

i guess i need to clarify that i was wondering if jan ever tuned in to watch miami vice (like we did). it's obvious that he at least watched them :) how else would he score it?i recall that stereo comment from keyboard mag, goozer. that is an interesting point, if you think of it as him noticing that on tv, but he could have made that observation from the tapes he was using while scoring.i dunno, it's kind of a dumb question anyway i guess. few artists are as interested in their own work as their fans are, so i would be surprised if he tuned in or bought the dvds. universal should have sent him the first 4 seasons complimentary! he earned that.

Since he mentioned the name of the local station in context of the question, as well as mentioning what he heard while watching (the station at least), it seems clear that he wasn't talking about the tapes.Not a dumb question, and you were clear about what you were asking. ;-)