Strong as I Am...from Manhunter

maynard

I just watched this flick for the first time in probably 15 years -- can't believe it's been that long. Was amazed at all the MV connections. Petersen's wife, Talbott, Farina, Badge of Dishonor chick, Heartbeat, Zubiena. I'm sure I missed some.Funny how the score sounds pretty dated now. If only Jan had done it. I bet Tom Noonan is probably a very nice man in person, but with that face he was born to play creeps.I've never seen Red Dragon. Wondering if I should.

what happened to the maltesers Alp chick? :D

Still can't eat solid food (Maltesers included!) and still living AWAY from the Alps! :)Thanks for asking!

• Administrators
I bet Tom Noonan is probably a very nice man in person' date=' but with that face he was born to play creeps.[/quote']Definitely! He also played a serial killer in "The X-Files" season 4 episode "Paper Hearts"

Definitely! He also played a serial killer in "The X-Files" season 4 episode "Paper Hearts"

I didn't remember this but now that you mentioned the ep, is he the serial killer who cuts hearts from the victims clothes and his last victim could be Mulder's sister Samantha?

• Administrators

This was a great movie. Always loved it! I also liked the "Red Dragon" too.

Didn't Will Graham's son look like Billy Crockett?

Yes he did! I took a good look to see if HE had an MV connection too. (No.)

Didn't Will Graham's son look like Billy Crockett?

I thought it was the same kid, but it wasn't. Noonan played a "pedesexual" on Law and Order SVU this season. Definitely the "Creepmaster!" Did anyone see it and notice the "Manhunter" reference where they showed Stabler looking at Noonan's character's driver's license and photo.The first time Will Graham sees Dollarhyde in "Manhunter" is on the faxed driver's license photo.The look of the videos is dated, but I would love to have a movie soundtrack with Prime Movers and Red 7.

• Administrators
I didn't remember this but now that you mentioned the ep' date=' is he the serial killer who cuts hearts from the victims clothes and his last victim could be Mulder's sister Samantha?[/quote']Yup, that's the one! http://www.tv.com/the-x-files/paper-hearts/episode/573/summary.htmlOne of the best episodes of season 4!

• Administrators

I can't recall that one, I'm going to have to rewatch that one in-between MV.

"This man...this man hit me."Interesting. Would love to see that one. Byrne Piven (Free Verse)was in this one also. I was looking at the quotes. "This man...this man hit me." Noonan said almost exactly the same thing in L&O SVU in his scuffle with Stabler. Two references to two different shows in one ep. Cool! Somebody knew their trivia.

I just watched this flick for the first time in probably 15 years -- can't believe it's been that long. Was amazed at all the MV connections. Petersen's wife' date=' Talbott, Farina, Badge of Dishonor chick, Heartbeat, Zubiena. I'm sure I missed some.I've never seen Red Dragon. Wondering if I should.[/quote']Also don't forget the appearance Bill Smitrovich (Scott Wheeler from "Brothers Keeper). Some years ago, a MV fan work colleague of mine also pointed out the similarity of the plot to the MV episode "Shadow in the dark" i.e obsessive cop tries to get inside the head of the criminal he is trying to catch, and ends up going crazy himself.I agree with Shill, I wouldn't bother seeing "Red Dragon". It's a word for word carbon copy of "Manhunter". Although I'm a fan of all Edward Norton films, I thought that Peterson, Cox, and Noonon were made for those parts and were far superior in their roles to Norton, Hopkins, and Feinnes respectively. This just goes to show how under-rated Michael Mann and his films are. Everyone harped on at the time about how great Anthony Hopkins was in "Silence of the lambs" and although without doubt he is a highly experienced established actor, he is nowhere near as compelling, convincing, and realistic as Brian Cox in the role. I thought Cox also managed to pull off being someone cold yet very intelligent and manipulative, whereas Hopkins was just theatrically creepy.

My only real complaint with Red Dragon was when they tried to duplicate the phone thing in jail with Hannibal. It just didn't work, was too easy, and made no sense. Cox made this the highlight of the movie for me, I laughed out loud. Red Dragon just did a poor job on some of these scenes. I did like the Buffalo Bill character with Levine "Frank Holman." Everytime I watch Monk I think about the long blond hair and makeup. They showed Dollyryde working out all the time. I guess this was to show he was strong enough to "grab" his victims, since he was so small. One look at Noonan's character, you didn't have to explain he was that strong, at 6'5', you just knew!As for Graham, Norton was OK, he didn't show the obsession of Petersen's character. In light of CSI and DNA now, I still would like to see a sequel with Petersen and Farina, even if it wasn't the tooth fairy plot.Like what they did with US marshals and the fugitive story line. (Are you listening, Michael Mann?)

Manhunter really shows just how immersed Mann was in Miami Vice at that time.Go to the Manhunter link I have and watch the TV interview with Petersen in the You Tube and video section. He talks about the criticism of Mann's Music and video style.

My only real complaint with Red Dragon was when they tried to duplicate the phone thing in jail with Hannibal. It just didn't work' date=' was too easy, and made no sense. Cox made this the highlight of the movie for me, I laughed out loud [/quote']Lol. Me too..."Operator... I'm afraid I appear to have lost the use of my arms!?".The cinematics in the film were second to none. Mann filmed the movie like he was creating a work of art. For example, the scene where the blind woman strokes the tiger. The music, the visuals, and the feel of the scene were very powerful. Also scenes such as the conversation between Graham and his wife in bed while you can see the sea in the background, and everything is cloaked in blue are very atmospheric. If you notice, Mann also has a thing about rooms with views, and in particular, bedrooms with views. For example in "Collateral", Fanning calls his partner, who is asleep in bed at the time, his partner awakes against the backdrop of a full LA city skyline.

All the scenes of Petersen's beachfront home were gorgeous. Beautifully filmed by Mann. It was in Florida's Gulf Coast, although Mann's turf is the south east coast of Florida.I found the Manhunter house on Virtual Earth. It's on the beach on Laika Ln SW, Captiva, Florida. It still looks the same as it did in the movie.It turns out I've been very near here. I stayed at Sanibel Harbour Resort on 17260 Harbour Point Drive, Fort Myers on a family holiday when I was about 13 and that's a short drive away from the Manhunter house

• Like 1

I was in one the those cabins or rooms around 1985. I thought the skyline, surroundings, and sunset had a familiar look.What a place to live!

That Manhunter song 'Strong As I Am' is really good. It would've worked great on Vice.The ending of Manhunter always reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they're singing 'In A Gadda Da Vida' as a hymn in church

That Manhunter song 'Strong As I Am' is really good. It would've worked great on Vice.The ending of Manhunter always reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they're singing 'In A Gadda Da Vida' as a hymn in church

I missed that one! I'm going to have to try to put together a CD of some of these songs. Red 7 & was good also. Be sure to check out Petersens interview on the website.A great tribute to man's style, bet Petersen never dreamed he would have a number one show based on manhunter 14 years later!