Strong as I Am...from Manhunter

maynard

There's Mr. T cereal visible in the supermarket sceneI pity the fool who doesn't eat my cerealEingefügtes BildThere's really overt product placement in that scene. And there's a big goof too. The background behind Petersen changes instantly. One second he's standing in front of cereal boxes and the next he's in front of tins of canned fruit

The A-Team comes on every weeknight on the RTN digtital channel I get.Its funnt how no one hardly ever gets killed. I forgot how popular Mr. T was with the kids at that time.I guess his handlers were no "fools!"

At least it wasn't the tooth fairy look, Maynard ;)Going back to the "Strong as I am" scene, what particularly impressed me about this scene (apart from the music), was that Mann creatively showed how in the same way that perceptions shape beliefs, beliefs also shape perceptions. When the blind lady is dropped off by her work colleague, he innocently removes something from her eye for her, yet Dollarhyde (who is essentially very insecure amongst other things), interprets what he is seeing as something romantic. What you see when the couple are apparantly looking romantically into each others eyes whilst bathed in white light is reality viewed through Dollarhyde's skewed perceptions. The way the image is filmed with the white light emphasises I think the fact that this is something that is slightly unreal, which essentially is what a perception often is.Dollarhyde is so insecure and lonely that he just expects that someone else always gets the girl. You've got to feel sorry for the work colleague though. He's a real gent. He gives her a lift home, removes something from her eye, doesn't make a pass at her, then ends up receiving several slugs at point blank range!

• 1 month later...
Manhunter would've been a lot better if it had a bigger budget' date=' more Lecktor, had Ralph Fiennes as Dolarhyde and the character was developed more like in Red Dragon, it didn't have the '80s soundtrack, '80s minimalist/post modern houses, '80s wardrobe, '80s production design and sets and had the ending of the book.[/quote']Then it would just be another "Red Dragon"...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I think Red Dragon was made just for the sake of having Hopkins play Hannibal Leckter in a film version of all three of Harris's novels.The cast looked great on paper, but simply didn't fit the roles.Especially Norton as Will Graham.Plus having a HACK like Bret Ratner as director didn't help matters. JM0

• 2 years later...

I take back a lot of what I said on this thread before. Manhunter is a first rate, top notch and almost great movie. Certainly one of the best movies of Mann's career. I like it more than Heat and The Insider. I think it's better than Silence of the Lambs, which I never really liked that much. It's brilliantly directed, acted and it's gripping, compelling and absorbing all the way through.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

• 6 years later...