Episode #8 "The Great McCarthy"

Ferrariman

Like others already mentioned, the boat racing scenes are breathtaking. Especially with Born to be Wild playing.Didn't mind the baddie too much, but he was no Calderone or Frank Mosca. But the love scene with Rico and Vanessa is one of the worst ones ever shown on MV. :thumbsdown:It comes across quite stiff and awkward, not sexy at all.Oh and that band at the party was awful.

• 2 months later...

I only saw parts of this episode on youtube... didn't see the original since it aired on TV way way way back in the day! BUT, here goes: The main villan is pretty bland (McCarthy). But that works for the 80's I guess. The art, the scenery, the music, the look, the drama, all are very good I think! Again I do not own the complete MV collection on DVD yet, but from the episode portions I viewed on youtube so far... I would have to say that TGMcCarthy, Testarossa, and the Maze are ALL very very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a thread on another site where offshore guys hang out a while ago with some guys that actually were in the episode or knew of others that were there in their personal boats.I will try to find this thread again on the other site and cut and paste.I do recall them stating that "Red Ryder" was the first Kevlar boat ever built and it was a prototype (and very fast too!) There was some other interesting quotes as well and they named all the boats and owners. I believe I have most of the info documented on the boats from my research in the glossary section (your welcome) but I know there is more.Wonder if that is ok as I am not sure about copyright laws etc???? What about it Ferrariman? Please chime in.

• 7 months later...
I love The Great McCarthy very much (:happy:) although the lexikon impute a simple plot!VICE develops more and more to an unique and distinctive show, activated as a result of terrifc and flashy scenes which let us feel the atmosphere of the 80s!!!:thumbsup::happy::happy:Declared, the plot isn't as strong as Calderones Demise, Hitlist or Stones War, but it offers us a good insight in the in-crowd!!!:cool:I adore the marina scene where Rico introduce himself to McCarthy, the overwhelming party-scene with Some Guys Have All the Luck, Go Insane and Self Control!!!:radio::radio:(Especially the party scenes are portrayed so excellently that everybody has to love this series!)Moreover the style of Sonny and Rico is exquisite: Sonny wearing white trousers coupled with a wide range of white jackets and wearing a completely black suit at the party(!!!) which reminds us of Season 3!!! :glossy:Not to forget Rico's fashionable shirt at the party!:clap:Noticeable is futhermore that's the only episode where Sonny smokes a cigar!Besides music and style, The Great McCarthy can offer good humour of Stan, Zito, Gina and Trudy and of course IZZY!!:DHe's introduced to the series here and we know that we'll see more concerning his charakter.:clap::DConcluding, I want to praise the boat racing scenes because they are very realistic and excellently filmed :dance: - typical VICE !!!10 of 10 points!

Exactly!! "The Great McCarthy" is one of my favorite episodes! It wasn't a "dark" one that had a depressing ending, or a "soap-opera" type one dealing with the love triangle between Crockett, Gina, and his ex-wife Caroline....it was soley about the case! :clap:It had superb action, :shout: witty lines and humor in the right places, :) fascinating and awesome fashion for everyone, :cool: the music was outstanding, :radio: etc... I could go on and on! This episode is one I can sit down and just enjoy and let 'er rip! :thumbsup:

For anyone interested I managed to find the article I read on the participants of the Great McCarthy and I posted what I found about all the boats in the Glossary section under "Boats"Enjoy...

I give a 9 ! It is one of my favorite episodes :clap::D:thumbsup:. 24 years ago I looked at that on my VHS again and again. First, it's the music that goes still with me today on CD. Well, then just the pool scene (real looker!), the race itself but also the waiting Castillo on race-end (super typical). So - I love this episode (and I can it actually also synchronize already ;):p;))

Of course being a DJ girl I just adore the betting scene with Pool and the ride in his ferrai....lol....and of course Sonny looks great in his green cut off shirt' date=' winning and then saying he won some lunches.....lol....Of course the race was so good, like Tony said "Born to be Wild" the perfect song there. And the extra kick Sonny had added to the boat to win the money back! I love this episode. [/quote'] That's exactly what I mean!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I give 9One of my favorite Episodes .... The great McCarthy . Very very good , the Boat race and the music Born to be wild . Rico and Vanessa :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The Great McCarthy8. The Great McCarthyThis episode does have a pretty simplistic plot, but it works. The first episode with Izzy starts off with a good opening. I always like the music Jan inserts when Sonny and Rico are on chases and the music during this opening chase is great. The scene where Rico first meets McCarthy is spectacular. The imagery and scenes of Miami and the bay are breathtaking. Castillo was right about McCarthy though, the guy does have character not wanting to get involved dealing with people he has never met before. Loved when Rico was trying to hook up with Vanessa and Rico says Sonny was busy. “Nope I love Brunch!!” The party scene was classic as well. The band playing two great 80’s hits and then Sonny just wiping the floor playing pool. Gutsy though to bet the Daytona. The boat race scene at the end is just tremendous. We get some excellent views of Miami Beach and the music is spectacular. I like Castillo’s smooth point at McCarthy’s boat near the end. The guy doesn’t need to speak, his actions are way above cool. The only thing I could have done without was Tubbs and Vanessa's make out marathon. I’m pretty sure it was three straight minutes. Either get on with it or lets move on. Anyway, this episode had a simple story but the scenery and shots of Miami make it a must watch. 9/10

Sorry, MiamiVice23, but I think you´ve changed something. Maria is the woman Tubbs gets to know in "To Have And To Hold". Mc Carthy´s girlfriend is named Vanessa.

• 6 months later...

This is one of my favourite episodes! I voted a 9.This episode has it all: the 80's vibe, the jet set scene, the entire OCB team, fun moments, a thrilling boat race, the parts of Crockett and Tubbs divided equally, Castillo's method, and even Elvis is present!I forgot that Izzy was introduced in this episode, but it was funny and he was not too exaggerated.Though a huge Crockett fan, I really liked the fact that Tubbs was -for once- the leading man in the undercover operation and Sonny was more at the background. Also Tubbs is more vivid, and Sonny is more laidback, than in later episodes. The rest of the team was in action in the intermezzo at the beach, which was a very nice scene.The party at the mansion, Vanessa's clothes, the bed when Tubbs and Vanessa make love... all so typical 80's, fantastic! Such "bad" taste, nevertheless it's perfect.Sonny wears black, which suits him, but I like him better in the softer tones and in the white suits. But hey, he takes his jacket off when he's playing pool, showing some nice toned arms, I can't complain!The speedboatrace is of course iconic, and must have taken a lot of effort to film. Sonny is even sexy wearing a helmet and overall! What puzzled me, was that their helmets had loose ties. Not really safe I think. Now some points why I didn't give a 10:- the end is not so strong. The script could do without the murder. I assume this is one of the episodes with almost no gunshots. I can appreciate that there's no excessive violence. The killing of Gifford didn't really contribute to the tension. Well, Vanessa turned out to be not so innocent, so this was a huge disappointment for Tubbs. Well, okay. I never believed that Tubbs was so in love he could not be a professional anymore.- the Steppenwolf song. In my opinion they could have used something else. Maybe Jan Hammers opening theme. 'Born to be wild' is a bit too out of date and too much Tour of Duty to me.The other theme nevertheless, played in the scenes with Tubbs and Vanessa, gives me goose bumbs. For me it stands for the real Vice vibe: light, bubbly but also threatening and mysterious.

• 4 months later...

One of my favourites. Great style, action, dialogue. The plot is superb with a nice twist at the end. The pool shoting scene is one of my favourites. Only slight quibble is that they should have chosen a different song for the final race scene. Born To Be Wild doesn't cut it. 10/10

• 4 months later...

I can watch this episode over and over and not get tired of it!The plot is simple,the clothes are awesome,and the music gold!McCarthy is a different type of villian in that he is more sophisticated than ruthless.The scenery is pretty sweet and breathtaking This episode contains some of my favorite scenes like the pool game,the party,and the boat race.The only part I didn't like was the love scene it was just a long kissing scene.The boat race scene is beautifully shot and was probably very fun experience for the cast and crew.9/10

I can watch this episode over and over and not get tired of it!The plot is simple' date='the clothes are awesome,and the music gold!McCarthy is a different type of villian in that he is more sophisticated than ruthless.The scenery is pretty sweet and breathtaking This episode contains some of my favorite scenes like the pool game,the party,and the boat race.The only part I didn't like was the love scene it was just a long kissing scene.The boat race scene is beautifully shot and was probably very fun experience for the cast and crew.9/10[/quote']Amen....could not have said it better myself!! :clap: This is one of my favorite first season episodes! :thumbsup: I usually watch it several times when going through my DVD sets of the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching this episode again yesterday, an enjoyable one for sure. Love the scenery of the Atlantic Ocean, Izzy's first appearance (as he's always hilarious) and the twist with McCarthy's girlfriend and Giffard.However, Louis McCarthy wasn't the greatest villain, but when he was busted by Castillo - BANG! Too good, classic Castillo.An 8/10 for sure.

• 1 year later...

I loved this episode so much....I bought the boat!

I never tire of the race scene and have seen it over and over again. The plot is fair, but not outstanding, wheras the race makes up for the lack of plotline

Still... alaround my top ten favs for sure!

• 3 months later...

The Great McCarthy: (1984)

The boat race and marina scenes are both classic Miami Vice and very well done but the same goes not for the main story/villains who are sadly not very memorable and rather dull.

Again Tubbs are rushing into a relationship with a mysterious woman but it never goes anywhere than some smooth sex scenes and the "dramatic" climax at the end seems rather weak than what to expect from a Miami Vice episode.

Right before the end we get to see some beautiful footage of Miami skyline at night and it's also the debut of Izzy who I liked a bit more than Noogie, but he would have bigger screen time later on.

6/10

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Classic Miami!  Very good episode!  I think Louis McCarthy had "class", as Castillo said.  A lot of people didn't like him, but I found him to be unique and stylish.  I think he is very memorable because he was very classy and not over-the-top... Although, his party was quite shakin'!  I give the episode a 9/10.

I rewatched this episode this morning and noticed two things I hadn't before...

When Sonny & Rico meet up with Castillo in that little park or trail, Castillo is eating something (maybe some of that finger food he was eating in "Borrasca"?)... When they walk away, Rico tries to grab some food from him, but Castillo gives him a very brief one of his iconic staredowns!  Hilarious!  It's all visual and not mentioned verbally.  You guys gotta check it out!  I wonder if this was improv...

Also, at McCarthy's party, Sonny wears a black suit for the first time (I think)!  A rare occasion for him in the first two seasons!  We don't see his shoes, but I bet he would wear black.  White shoes would probably look out-of-place with the black suit.

Edited by AndrewRemington