Episode #8 "The Great McCarthy"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

For this reason here, I'll always love this episode!

Miami Vice: Season 1, Episode 8 – The Great McCarthy • B.Zedan

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yes! The dancers are literally GIFs on my camera roll! :) 

Exactly, lol...the party scenes are some of the best of the episode! :dance2: I actually like McCarthy’s band’s version of “Some Guys Have All the Luck” better than Rod Stewart’s! :radio: :)

But, the episode is just awesome all the way around! I enjoyed McCarthy as a bad guy, so-to-speak...he seemed more calm/calculating & intelligent, rather than hot-headed & bloodthirsty. ;) Although Lombard was probably my favorite villain overall, with Calderone Sr. coming in 2nd.

But, besides the music, fashion, and colors, I also loved the action, the other characters, even Izzy’s part...and yes, I even don’t mind the boat race at the end. :dance: But, to each his or her own! :funky:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I skip it most times, honestly. Just boring as hell unless you're into flat bad guys and boat races.

The boat race came at they end to be fair, and I don't feel like McCarthy is boring, he just laid back, like he doesn't have to be over the top and impress anybody. 

He's exactly the same as Paul Shenar in Scarface.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Exactly, lol...the party scenes are some of the best of the episode! :dance2: I actually like McCarthy’s band’s version of “Some Guys Have All the Luck” better than Rod Stewart’s! :radio: :)

But, the episode is just awesome all the way around! I enjoyed McCarthy as a bad guy, so-to-speak...he seemed more calm/calculating & intelligent, rather than hot-headed & bloodthirsty. ;) Although Lombard was probably my favorite villain overall, with Calderone Sr. coming in 2nd.

But, besides the music, fashion, and colors, I also loved the action, the other characters, even Izzy’s part...and yes, I even don’t mind the boat race at the end. :dance: But, to each his or her own! :funky:

I agree with everything you said there and what exactly is wrong with an exciting boat race anyway? and to be fair its the whole point in the episode.

Speed boat smuggling lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree with everything you said there and what exactly is wrong with an exciting boat race anyway? and to be fair its the whole point in the episode.

Speed boat smuggling lol

Exactly...it was how McCarthy was smuggling the drugs in...in the middle of a famous boat race, in front of hundreds of people & no one was the wiser! :dance: I don’t know, it’s just kind of fun to watch...part of the action! :dance2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The boat race came at they end to be fair, and I don't feel like McCarthy is boring, he just laid back, like he doesn't have to be over the top and impress anybody. 

He's exactly the same as Paul Shenar in Scarface.

Your opinion, of course, which is fine. I think he's a flat, bland villain for Vice, and the boat race is straight out of "Dukes of Hazzard" right down to the bait and switch act. Laid back is Gene Simmons in Prodigal Son. And I had the same problem with that terrible bike "race" in Florence, Italy, too. They strike me as filler because someone couldn't come up with anything else, or alternately one of those "local color" scenes they used to have in CHiPs all the time (skateboard windsurfing, anyone?).

8 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Your opinion, of course, which is fine. I think he's a flat, bland villain for Vice, and the boat race is straight out of "Dukes of Hazzard" right down to the bait and switch act. Laid back is Gene Simmons in Prodigal Son. And I had the same problem with that terrible bike "race" in Florence, Italy, too. They strike me as filler because someone couldn't come up with anything else, or alternately one of those "local color" scenes they used to have in CHiPs all the time (skateboard windsurfing, anyone?).

How can the speed boat race be filler if it's the whole point to the operation?

Agree to disagree I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

How can the speed boat race be filler if it's the whole point to the operation?

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Yep. The race was far too long in terms of time in my view. It wasn't an especially solid plot to begin with in my view, made worse by the execution of it.

Like I said, it feels like one of those CHiPs episodes they used to do to highlight some aspect of Southern California life. Purse snatchers on roller skates? Check. Speedboat racing in Miami? Check. Sometimes Vice did pull these off well, but in my opinion this wasn't one of those times. Killshot is a pretty good example of one they did well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Yep. The race was far too long in terms of time in my view. It wasn't an especially solid plot to begin with in my view, made worse by the execution of it.

Like I said, it feels like one of those CHiPs episodes they used to do to highlight some aspect of Southern California life. Purse snatchers on roller skates? Check. Speedboat racing in Miami? Check. Sometimes Vice did pull these off well, but in my opinion this wasn't one of those times. Killshot is a pretty good example of one they did well.

You make a good point here.  The amount of screen time devoted to the race is a bit over the top.  Personally I do enjoy the episode, although it's not perfect, for sure. 

I'm not sure if DJ was already into speedboat racing at the time this ep was made, but have wondered if the race segment was made longer due to his interest, or if he got involved in racing because of the episode.  Of course that's just my idle curiosity and I'm wondering if the producer(s) were catering to him with the extended race scene.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

You make a good point here.  The amount of screen time devoted to the race is a bit over the top.  Personally I do enjoy the episode, although it's not perfect, for sure. 

I'm not sure if DJ was already into speedboat racing at the time this ep was made, but have wondered if the race segment was made longer due to his interest, or if he got involved in racing because of the episode.  Of course that's just my idle curiosity and I'm wondering if the producer(s) were catering to him with the extended race scene.

I like the Testarossa, so the little montage near the end of “Blood and Roses” could’ve gone on for 30 more seconds (or more!), and I would have been great!

I imagine the boat enthusiasts enjoy the long boat race (I usually FF through it though :) ). 

• Like 2

Tom and I just had a small discussion about the length of the boat scene after he posted some call sheets for the episode recently.  There were several scenes eliminated in editing that were on a call sheet.  If I recall it was several pages combined, totaling 3-4 minutes.  It was actually the majority of one day’s filming.  We think that they may have been cut to extend the boat race.  I’m a boat owner myself, though a sailboat and dinghy, and I also found the boat race a bit long.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Tom and I just had a small discussion about the length of the boat scene after he posted some call sheets for the episode recently.  There were several scenes eliminated in editing that were on a call sheet.  If I recall it was several pages combined, totally 3-4 minutes.  It was actually the majority of one day’s filming.  We think that they may have been cut to extend the boat race.  I’m a boat owner myself, though a sailboat and dinghy, and I also found the boat race a bit long.

They probably did extend the boat race longer back then than what they would nowadays...lots of shows back in the 70s & 80s used different activities/sports to extend the episode if needed. However, I don’t mind the boat race in this episode, as @RedDragon86 stated, it actually ties into the plot...it goes beyond a “filler”!

Plus, to me it’s more action-paced instead of say a tennis match on Dallas or Charlie’s Angels;) Nowadays episodes barely have time to get what they need in, to make room for all the idiot commercials/ads...so there’s not as much time for scenes of those kinds of things.

• Like 4

I agree that it’s inaccurate to say that the boat race was extended as “filler”.  They didn’t need to add anything to fill for time, as they had footage that they already filmed that ended up cut.  It was a pretty significant amount of footage too, like 3-4 pages combined among two or three scenes.  That represents 3-4 minutes of an episode that was perhaps 51-52 minutes total.  I think it was likely a creative decision in editing to add to the boat race time for excitement perhaps.

Here’s the page with the call sheets:

https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12665-episode-8-the-great-mccarthy/page/3/#comments

Tom explains it well.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, pahonu said:

I agree that it’s inaccurate to say that the boat race was extended as “filler”.  

They should have used some of that time to work on the ending. :) 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

They should have used some of that time to work on the ending. :) 

True, lol :) Although I love the episode, the ending is a little "odd", as we've mentioned before. It fell just a little "flat", and could have been re-done or re-shot & a little more emotion put into it. ;) But, it isn't bad enough to overshadow or ruin the rest of the awesomeness & action of the episode! :D One of my favorite episodes is Season 4's "Death and the Lady"...but it too has a strange or "odd" ending. But, it's not bad enough to ruin the superb-ness of the episode as a whole! :clap: 

• Like 1