Episode #8 "The Great McCarthy"

Ferrariman

I wish I saw in this one what everyone else seems to see. This is another episode where I think the cold open is arguably the best part, but I also love Izzy. Tubbs and Vanessa have zero chemistry IMO, and this is really the first episode where I feel next to nothing happens, there are a bunch of sidebar scenes (the pool game, the drug bust of the professor) that really feel like padding as Crockett goes in circles trying to get himself into the boat race. The boat race footage looks great, and the reveal that McCarthy uses the race as a cover for the drug smuggling is kinda fun, but that's about it for me. The way this episode ends is hilarious. It's like they were in the editing room with some NBC executive who went "okay, you have 15.7 seconds to resolve this scene."

Just didn't have a good time with it. Actually not even sure if I've seen this one before. 2.5/10

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zachbmarsh said:

I wish I saw in this one what everyone else seems to see. This is another episode where I think the cold open is arguably the best part, but I also love Izzy. Tubbs and Vanessa have zero chemistry IMO, and this is really the first episode where I feel next to nothing happens, there are a bunch of sidebar scenes (the pool game, the drug bust of the professor) that really feel like padding as Crockett goes in circles trying to get himself into the boat race. The boat race footage looks great, and the reveal that McCarthy uses the race as a cover for the drug smuggling is kinda fun, but that's about it for me. The way this episode ends is hilarious. It's like they were in the editing room with some NBC executive who went "okay, you have 15.7 seconds to resolve this scene."

Just didn't have a good time with it. Actually not even sure if I've seen this one before. 2.5/10

I love this episode...enjoy it every time! But, it’s one that’s not meant to be as “dark” as a lot of the other episodes are. It’s not as “personal” or I’ll even say “soapy” as others with the Caroline or Caitlin or Valerie dramas. It’s meant to be “fun” to watch...the action, boat races, fashion, music, colors, etc...were superb! :glossy:You aren’t supposed to take this one that serious...just sit back, let ‘er rip, and enjoy! :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, zachbmarsh said:

I'm not a fan of this one, either. In fact, I'd say it's in my top five of least-favorite episodes (and quite close to the top). The whole boat switch is an old bootlegger's trick and felt more like it should have been on the Dukes of Hazzard or something (at least to me).

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2010 at 12:17 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This may be an episode that some like and some dislike. But, I love this episode!! It was a little "lighter" with the plot and we didn't have to worry about or deal with the character's personal problems or own dept. politics--it was all about the case and an interesting one to me! I thought Lewis McCarthy was an interesting and different type of bad guy than say Calderone or even Lombard. He was much more sophisticated and suave...not exploding into rages or constantly having people murdered when he didn't get his way. He knew what he wanted and tried to get it intelligently and behind-the-scenes to not attract that much attention.I loved the wardrobe and "Vice" clothes in this episode too--especially for Crockett and bad-girl Vanessa. I also loved the music choices, especially at McCarthy's party (where Gifford gets "iced")!! So, awesome plot, awesome music, awesome clothes, etc... = an awesome episode! I gave it a 9! :thumbsup:

On 3/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I love this episode...enjoy it every time! But, it’s one that’s not meant to be as “dark” as a lot of the other episodes are. It’s not as “personal” or I’ll even say “soapy” as others with the Caroline or Caitlin or Valerie dramas. It’s meant to be “fun” to watch...the action, boat races, fashion, music, colors, etc...were superb! :glossy:You aren’t supposed to take this one that serious...just sit back, let ‘er rip, and enjoy! :thumbsup: 

These are past and/or more recent reviews & thoughts of mine on this episode. This is one that fans either seem to love or hate. But...I love this one!

This has a lot of true MV to it...with the fashion & colors :glossy:, action, the music was superb with Laura Branigan & Rod Stewart songs—but in an ironic twist sung by McCarthy’s party band (and I actually like their versions better) & the amazing pool-song “Go Insane” by Lindsey Buckingham :radio:, and the plot is cool...with a dealer bringing in the Miami-snow in his speedboat during a race! 

I also like the introduction of Izzy Moreno, and the beginning scene—humorous! :) I didn’t mind Izzy as a goofy informant, but I couldn’t stand Noogie! I wish Linus Oliver could’ve been in later episodes, too, instead of Noogie.

As I’ve said before, this is one you don’t have to worry about “dark”, or depressing, or “soapy” issues...it’s meant to be fun and entertaining to watch! :clap: It’s the OCB taking down a sophisticated drug dealer, with awesome action, witty dialogue, fashion, color, and music. This is one you can sit back, relax, have fun & let ‘er rip! I originally gave it a 9...still do! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Adding to my post right above...one thing I do find somewhat silly or goofy is the literal opening scene. Crockett & Tubbs pull up to a bank with the alarm going off, and Tubbs asks “what’s going on?” I’m like, dude—bank, alarm...I bet it’s a bank robbery! :baby: Lol! :p But, gotta love early to mid 80s TV dialogue. ;)

Also, is the lunch or “snack” McCarthy & Gifford have served to them at the marina club (when Tubbs first introduces himself as another ‘speed boat racer’) Oysters Rockefeller? Just curious & always wanted to try that. :funky: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Adding to both my two posts right above...I find this really cool & interesting! This is the original NBC voiceover during the end-credits to this episode, “The Great McCarthy”. I assumed MV had already been slated for a full season after the Pilot...but, perhaps it was later?? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I assumed MV had already been slated for a full season after the Pilot...but, perhaps it was later?? 

That may well be. I remember an interview with DJ, I think at the end of S1/beginning of S2, in which he basically says that he didn't trust his luck with MV for a long time. That during S1 he was never sure if it would continue. I had related the " continues" to MV's success. But at the time of the first broadcast, MV wasn't that successful yet, was it? Not until the reruns. Perhaps the "continue" actually referred to whether further episodes would be filmed at all?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glades said:

That may well be. I remember an interview with DJ, I think at the end of S1/beginning of S2, in which he basically says that he didn't trust his luck with MV for a long time. That during S1 he was never sure if it would continue. I had related the " continues" to MV's success. But at the time of the first broadcast, MV wasn't that successful yet, was it? Not until the reruns. Perhaps the "continue" actually referred to whether further episodes would be filmed at all?

I thought that by mid Season 1 the popularity had caught on...but maybe the network was still trying to decide to make a full season or not, yet at that point? NBC has sort of always been “famous” for cancelling anything & everything for whatever reasons. But by the end of the season, I think the popularity was definitely high enough that a Season 2 was inevitable. 

I think the show didn't really catch fire until the summer re-runs in the US. I guess people were too busy watching Dallas or whatever first go round.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

I think the show didn't really catch fire until the summer re-runs in the US. I guess people were too busy watching Dallas or whatever first go round.

Perhaps so. I remember watching first season when it originally aired over at my friends house practically every Friday...they loved it, and it got me hooked! But, maybe the overall popularity (to satisfy NBC anyway) didn’t truly catch on till the end of the season and reruns that summer. 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Afi Keita James said:

This has got to be the most coolest episode of miami vice, flashy and nice.

Agreed...definitely one of the coolest!! :cool: :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The ending scene in french version is great. PMT says 'Je vous arrête', and not 'Je t'arrête'. vous is used for respect mark mostly when meeting strangers, while tu/t' is used for known fellas like parents/friends

I also noticed that DJ crosses the town with a torn apart T-shirt (probably his fisher T-shirt, which i find very cool. the summun of coolness actually. I love a lot smart suits, but i also love alot when people dress without worrying of what people will say

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

The ending scene in french version is great. PMT says 'Je vous arrête', and not 'Je t'arrête'. vous is used for respect mark mostly when meeting strangers, while tu/t' is used for known fellas like parents/friends

I also noticed that DJ crosses the town with a torn apart T-shirt (probably his fisher T-shirt, which i find very cool. the summun of coolness actually. I love a lot smart suits, but i also love alot when people dress without worrying of what people will say

Back in the 80s the “torn” shirts was a style...you could actually buy them like that (for both men & women). It was 80s punk. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Back in the 80s the “torn” shirts was a style...you could actually buy them like that (for both men & women). It was 80s punk. 

totally agree. i myself used to wear a torn jean bermuda in the 80s. i had my best friend who had a T-shirt like that too. that looked more to a potato sack, than a T-shirt. it was a cool mind free era

• Like 1

I just saw that I hadn´t posted my opinion to "The Great McCarthy" here. 
I like the scene when Tubbs is sitting there, trying to get in touch with McCarthy while Crockett is driving around with his cigarette boat. I dislike McCarthy because he is very arrogant.
A thing I never understood was the scene at the party. Tubbs and Vanessa were kissing on the dancefloor, McCarthy saw this but stayed as cool as if Vanessa was a stranger and not his girlfriend. He only asked Tubbs if he was hitting on his girlfriend. 
I ask you, guys, what would you do if another man kisses your girlfriend before your eyes?
A great scene, of course, is the boat race with "Born to be wild" in the background and the end when Castillo appears and stares at McCarthy.

34 minutes ago, Christine said:

I just saw that I hadn´t posted my opinion to "The Great McCarthy" here. 
I like the scene when Tubbs is sitting there, trying to get in touch with McCarthy while Crockett is driving around with his cigarette boat. I dislike McCarthy because he is very arrogant.
A thing I never understood was the scene at the party. Tubbs and Vanessa were kissing on the dancefloor, McCarthy saw this but stayed as cool as if Vanessa was a stranger and not his girlfriend. He only asked Tubbs if he was hitting on his girlfriend. 
I ask you, guys, what would you do if another man kisses your girlfriend before your eyes?
A great scene, of course, is the boat race with "Born to be wild" in the background and the end when Castillo appears and stares at McCarthy.

I don’t really think McCarthy and Vanessa were really that “together”. I think she was used more for “window dressing” and to bring in “business” (aka racers and/or drug buyers). Asking Tubbs if he was getting it on with his woman was more of a joke. He wasn’t really mad at Tubbs.

Edited by ViceFanMan

vor 10 Minuten schrieb ViceFanMan:

I don’t really think McCarthy and Vanessa were really that “together”. I think she was used more for “window dressing” and to bring in “business” (aka racers and/or drug buyers). Asking Tubbs if he was getting it on with his woman was more of a joke. He wasn’t really mad at Tubbs.

Wasn´t Vanessa introduced as McCarthys girlfriend? That was before Tubbs and Crockett went to her boutique to buy some new jackets for Tubbs.
When I watched the episode first I thought that McCarthy liked it to watch his girlfriend kissing and flirting with another man. There are men who were turned on by such a thing.
While watching it a second and a third time I thought that it was cheeky of Tubbs doing what he had done.

• Like 1

Just now, Christine said:

Wasn´t Vanessa introduced as McCarthys girlfriend? That was before Tubbs and Crockett went to her boutique to buy some new jackets for Tubbs.
When I watched the episode first I thought that McCarthy liked it to watch his girlfriend kissing and flirting with another man. There are men who were turned on by such a thing.
While watching it a second and a third time I thought that it was cheeky of Tubbs doing what he had done.

He introduces her as his girlfriend...but she’s really used to seduce and bring in “players”. McCarthy didn’t really care about her, and was fine with her getting with other guys. Plus...he probably was one that liked to watch others doing it. ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah he wasn't bothered, she was a bit of a promiscuous girlfriend to Louis.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah he wasn't bothered, she was a bit of promiscuous girlfriend to Louis.

She had also been with Gifford, too! ;) 

• Like 1

Right! I had forgotten Gifford. For me he wasn´t that important. He was an informant who occured, got killed and that was it. The question would have been what had Tubbs done if Vanessa wasn´t Giffords murderer. Would he have liked to be with her for a longer time? We´ll never know.

we know too few to tell what's really happening between McCarthy, and Vanessa. if it's a kind of c...old yeah it's pretty morbid. But if it's a dying relation, then why not.

Vanessa played by Maria Mc Donald is a beautiful mixed-race woman, and it's pretty normal that Tubbs as a man tries his luck

1 hour ago, Christine said:

Right! I had forgotten Gifford. For me he wasn´t that important. He was an informant who occured, got killed and that was it. The question would have been what had Tubbs done if Vanessa wasn´t Giffords murderer. Would he have liked to be with her for a longer time? We´ll never know.

Gifford was an informant for C&T because he worked for McCarthy...as a sleazy financial accountant helping “launder” Louis’ drug & illegal money—which his store (probably one of many businesses) where Vanessa managed was a front for. Gifford and Vanessa had been having an affair (probably with McCarthy’s knowledge), but she dumped him. This ticked Gifford off and he threatened to tell McCarthy that Vanessa was secretly skimming money from him for herself (which she was). This is what prompted her to kill Gifford at the party. Izzy saw her do it, and somehow even got a hold of the gun she used. That’s what Izzy kept trying to tell Crockett that night at the party, but Crockett wouldn’t listen. 

• Like 2