Wasn't too thrilled with the movie....

himenokuri

not just because no one was being played by original actors but that Colin Farrell showed as much emotion as a Ken doll and Jamie Foxx wasnt as emotional as Tubbs I just didn't see any chemistry between those guys as I do with Johnson and Thomas and Zito made a mirtaculous recovery after his OD I just didnt see any chemistry at all :o

• Administrators

Well at least we will be able to discuss this over here without starting WW III.I didn't care for it too much at first, I was a little confused about who was who. It took me a few viewings to like it.There are a lot of differences, but it is a different time and a different Miami now. It could never be duplicated to the 80's.

Agreed! You can't duplicate the 80's as MV was a real time set pieceThe movie I found rather dark and forboding. Yes the characters were non emotional but dark and too cool I thought! Tubbs had some class and dressed impecably but Jamie Foxes character had none of that. Crocket was always smart mouthed but Farrel did not capture that either.It's hard to remake somethig from an era that has passed to make it updated. The drug traffic trade has not stopped, but it isn not nearly at the levels it was back in the eighties so the story is rather unbelievable from my standpoint. As for fiction........well...........................................its Hollywood!two out of ten...just my two cents.

This may shock some, but....To this day I cannot bring myself to watch it. I mean, it looks slick, but why would an old-school Vice fan want to do that to himself?

Last week I found this movie in the bargain bin at a store and I still didn't want it. I've never seen it and don't plan on either.Eingefügtes Bild

I agree with JD and LMD on this... I really really tried to be open minded about this but I just wasn't feelin' it......

I wanted to watch it in the summer of '06, but I just didn't have the heart to. It just seemed to be too different from the show, and it seemed to take itself too seriously. And I have yet to watch it since.The elements that made the show stand out seemed to be missing. The sunny locale and nice cars were there. But from what I've heard, the unintentional comedy, the general ability to have a sense of humor, etc. were missing. Tubbs apparently became a humorless shell, and Crockett became Colin Farell trying to be a serious character. Without decent characters, I have to pass. Maybe Ebert was right in all those review of movies: characters and character development are important.

My oldest daughter watched it in 2006 in cinema and she didn´t find it good. She said it´s got nothing really to do with MV as we know it. She said this story could be settled in every city of the world. So I never found the heart to watch it. Somebody else as Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas as Crockett and Tubbs? - Never!!!Christine

Yeah your right.The movie had nothing to do with the Vice we all know!You can't compare bananas and apples. They are different but from the same species.I watched it twice.On the one hand I compared the movie with the "good old" vice.In this point the movie totally sucks.Much to dark and all the think the people said before!On the other hand I watched it just to see it.Well it had its charm but somethinks missing.Without beeing compared with old vice the movie kicks ass!Brilliant Regie nice places. Good Actors.People who know the old vice can't watch this movie without doubts.You will compare everythink with the old one.But people who haven't (I won't belive that there are some) may find it good.This is just my own point of view.GreetingsStan Switek

MV MovieI give the movie 2 thumbs down ---no chemistry between the 2 main characters and I just can't "see", pardon the pun, Ray Charles playing Tubbs or an out-of-control SWAT team member playing the charismatic Sonny.

I have to agree with most of you. I thought because Michael and Anthony were doing it that they'd do it right. I know you can't re-do the 80's but the characters! I was so upset about the no chemistry between Crockett and Tubbs. Although they did put in the famous line "Something like that" Also, when did Gina become blonde and Swi was all wrong. And like someone Said Zito came back to life, what as a zombie? Castillo, now that was a total shock to all my senses! I just had hoped that they'd at least get the characters down a lot more like the original ones. Mann did at least do one of his shockers, with just opening right into the movie, nothing else. I had hoped they'd be able to pay Hammer and use the theme too. remember this is Just my opinion. I didn't care for the movie as Vice. Now if I never saw Vice I'd like it in a different way. I rushed to see it dragging my daughter with me she is a Collin Farel fan. I went the next day after it came out and walked out upset. I tried to watch it on HBO and saw some of it, trying to say to my self don't think of it as VICE, think of it just as a movie, couldn't do it so turned it off.

Guest MetroVice
This may shock some' date=' but....To this day I cannot bring myself to watch it. I mean, it looks slick, but why would an old-school Vice fan want to do that to himself?[/quote']That's pretty much how I feel about it. Although I did actually watch it already, I wish I hadn't. I simply loved the original Vice too much and I don't think anything's ever gonna hold a candle to that!Randy

I have to say I liked it.I love the original MV. Great characters, chemistry and humour. As well as a fantastic look and ability to shock you with dark/sad storylines.The movie was something different. It throws you straight into the story with no real regard for character introductions. I kind of liked that. It's more documentary-like in that you have to assume the relationships are there underpinning everything, because it's not going to take a timeout from the main story to spell it out for you. I enjoyed the dark, unforgiving feel it had, and it actually reminded me of later MV episodes. However, I too was appalled by some casting decisions ... that's Castillo? ... are you sure?I would have prefered a movie that more closely resembled the TV show, but, for what it is, I found the movie very watchable and, dare I say it, would quite like to see a sequel, perhaps with a bit more of sunny Miami next time.

Well people.........I got my boat wet today. It was actually rather amusing as when the Kenworth pulled into the launch area dragging my beast behind it, I had a crowd gather as not many have seen such a huge boat before.I dropped it in and fired up both engines and took it over to a docking area where there were many onlookers and a hundred questions.The one that got me the most was "Is this a Cigarrette boat?" I answer no...its from Miami Vice...(stupid looks on thier faces) You know...the TV show?Shoulders shrugging and everyone looking at each other with egg on thier faces?At that moment this afternoon I started to feel my age. Holy S**T These kids have never seen Miami Vice! It's on DVD, so why not? Anyways...got lots of comliments on the boat and today was the first time I ever drove it since I bought it. I felt just like Crocket winding it up out in the lake. I even wore my authentic Ray Bans :)I think that MV is an 80's thing and the people who are on this board are dedicatied to the preservation of the series and love the show like I do. I'm a highschool teacher and I have pictures of my boat on the computer in my classroom as a screen saver, and all the kids can do is say "cool boat" They haven't a clue what MV was? It's such a shame that more people aren't aware of it.That is probably the one reason that the Movie appealed to the under 30 crowd but the die hard fans of the show, like myself and others on this posting, have rejected it for its own merits...or lack of? The new music used in the movie appealled to a younger crowd as it was todays tunes with a hardcore beat. The Cat was a cool boat but boats nowadays can go twice as fast as they could in the eighties! However the Coast guard have a hundred ways to catch you now with infa red, boats, planes, subs,...you could not smuggle today in a boat with any speed, so that is why the movie to me was a bit unbeleivable. They tried to capture the old school, but in reality there is no way it could work. That's Hollywood!

twice as fast as they could in the eighties! However the Coast guard have a hundred ways to catch you now with infa red, boats, planes, subs,...you could not smuggle today in a boat with any speed, so that is why the movie to me was a bit unbeleivable. They tried to capture the old school, but in reality there is no way it could work. That's Hollywood!

It's funny, I have had girlfriends in their early 20's who were just a touch too young to get it. My response is usually saying, 'guess what we're watching tonight?' then the mixed CD with 16 different versions of Crockett's theme. Almost all of them got it and wanted to see more! I think it's a shame that it hasn't been in reruns in Canada for quite a while, probably since TNN was showing them.....

For myself, I found it fairly enjoyable, but there just was not enough to make it a truly 'Miami Vice' movie . I remember reading the threads on .org in 2006. I thought to myself, my goodness I never thought that a movie could stir up so much hostility and so many flame wars. It was a bad chapter in .org, but fortunately all in the past now.

I think it's a shame that it hasn't been in reruns in Canada for quite a while' date=' probably since TNN was showing them.....[/quote']Agreed...Then again I found that American channels don't always play things as originally aired???A little off topic here, but if you guys remember "WKRP" (I absolutely loved that show!!!) when it aried in Canada all the original songs were played by the original artists while aired on syndicated TV and in reruns on the Comedy Network. Funny thing...I was in Detroit a few years ago on a business trip watching the reruns on some American channel at the motel and I was shocked as hell to see that they had music OVERDUBS!!! Yes when Johnny Fever put on a record, say Foreigner or something, they played some cover band playing while the record was spinning. All I could say was WTF!?!In Canda as you may know when we saw it on the Comedy Network, when Johnny Fever put on a Sabath record or whatever, it was the original artist!I think this had something to do with copyright or maybe royalties???I wonder if they play MV in reruns if they will do that? I certainly hope not as I would shudder to think of watching the Daytona speeding along the dark streets of Miami and "In the Air Tonight" as sung by some loser off American Idle!!! hahahhahhahaahhahaahaah!:hot:

For while TV Land ran Miami Vice and everything was ok,but they ran them out of sequence. I hate that. Then came the worst,TV Land traded Miami Vice for Bonanza!? It made me angry to think that more people responded to Bonanza than Miami Vice. To this day,TV Land still hasn't aired one Miami Vice episode.

• 1 month later...

I loved the film. If you take it as completely different characters than the ones we grew up with, it's a very enjoyable movie.

• Like 1

• Administrators
I loved the film. If you take it as completely different characters than the ones we grew up with' date=' it's a very enjoyable movie.[/quote']I agree with that, it just took me a while to actually figure out who was who other than Crockett and Tubbs.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OKI Enjoyed It As A Movie But It Could Have Been Any Cop Movie.The Names Were The Only Connection To The Old, No Tradition Either, Characters Were Redeveloped So Bad It Crushed The Movie.Just Think How Good This Movie Could "have " Been

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the movie was a very competent update.A good foundation to build on.So in short,I'd like to see a sequel with Foxx,Farrell and everybody from this one on board to try and take it to the next level.If for no other reason,just to keep the franchise alive and moving forward.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I thought the movie was a very competent update.A good foundation to build on.So in short' date='I'd like to see a sequel with Foxx,Farrell and everybody from this one on board to try and take it to the next level.If for no other reason,just to keep the franchise alive and moving forward.[/quote']I totally agree!

i bought that crap....Yeah, you read it right. I bought it. I can speak a lot about the ****ty parts, It has some pretty scenes (skies for example). But its a piece of garbage. Now i can see it on the local dvd shop, sank on the shelves, and guess what? A big deal: MV plus two different movies in one dvd box. what a deal!I dont agree. This movie has some chemistry. Only a chemist can turn a classical like MV into a piece of ****... lol Damn chemistry!